Palworld becomes the 2nd highest "All-Time Peak" game with concurrent players in Steam's history

The brand-new indie game Palworld has taken the gaming world by surprise, with an overwhelming reception from different sources, and in just 4 days since its release in early-access, the game has sold over 6 million copies.

Palworld has been in development since 2021 by Pocket Pair. The game focuses in a survival environment similar to that of ARK, with the option to play it co-op online, but with the twist of the game having creatures called "Pals" that the player can catch and battle, similar to that of Pokemon, and once caught they can even aid the player in all kinds of tasks. These Pals come in a variety of forms, with over 100 creatures, and the player can become involved in the fights between the creatures, as well as fight off other people, or one of several antagonist factions found in the game. The fights can be done with all kinds of weapons, ranging from melee weapons to even guns, and this can also be used against the creatures, or to aid the creatures in battle.

In the 4 days since the game's launch January 19th, 2024, the game's hasn't only sold surprisingly well with its 6 million copies, but it has also achieved the record of having the 2nd All-Time Peak concurrent players at the same time for a paid game with a number of 1,864,421 players being the all time peak registered as of today. PUBG still holds the #1 record on Steam (when it was still paid), which retains the record with around 3.2 million as the all time peak concurrent players online.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Steam's Most Played
:arrow: Palworld on Steam

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, the game is Early Access and still has bugs as well as lacking polish BUT is fun, so the the problems are very easily overlooked.

I've never played Pokémon, never been my kind of game (so I thought). Whilst there have been some good releases years back, I can't help but feel bad for the loyal fans who deserved something like Palworld.

I truly hope the Devs don't go off track like Obsidian, or worse.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The thing is, the game is Early Access and still has bugs as well as lacking polish BUT is fun, so the the problems are very easily overlooked.

I've never played Pokémon, never been my kind of game (so I thought). Whilst there have been some good releases years back, I can't help but feel bad for the loyal fans who deserved something like Palworld.

Well at least we can say that just like Pokemon, they released with a lot of bugs :^}
At least this is still in early access, I'm sure the final release will see a lot of bugs and glitches fixed up.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You know Nintendo is doing it wrong when it's smashing Steam records in less than a week.

They finally have a competitor in that front, and with good reason, a lot of people just had enough with Game Freak's meandering and underwhelming bullshit, so now they have to do better if they don't want their sales to dwindle from indie games doing a much better and polished job than the trash they put out each year.

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
yea palworld is so fun.
western developers really lost their way.
"We don't use the word 'fun'" says The Last of Us 2 director Neil Druckmann

games don't need constant agenda, propaganda or even huge huge teams.

The wildest part is palworld was made by complete game dev noobs!
Triple AAA game devs are cope posting on twitter about it.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It sure still has lots of bugs, but at least, since it's still in early access, we can expect most of these bugs to be fixed over time.
In the mean time, this game is a lot of fun and i hope Nintendo/Game Freak will do something to improve Pokemon gameplay mechanics. Because going from 2D to 3D and giving us slightly better graphics is far from enough to attract more player. I think they should go with a more improved version of Legends Arceus if they want to.

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
The game is so much inspiration from anywhere that it's an easy shortcut to call it "Pokémon with guns". It's like a mix of Pokémon, Minecraft, Zelda and so many others, taking what works in each before mixing it and calling it a new game. And the result is actually fun, so that number of players is hardly surprising, even though it isn't factoring the number of Epic/Gamepass players.

Meanwhile, Pokemon fans are screeching left and right for a ban of "this plagiarism of Pokémon" when it's already proven it isn't, calling for death threats against the devs and for a purge of every copy of the game. Please don't do the same and keep this thread calm and civil. For your own sake and the others'. Thank you.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

i dont think any pokemon fan dreamed of owning weapons and shooting pokemons with pistols rockets and machine guns to catch them lol, i must be very blind to the request of pokemon fans to do that lol.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
If anything, it's an Ark clone, with Pokemon, rather than "Pokemon with guns".

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people are loving it--I expected the kind of strict survival elements to scare off a lot of people who expected it to just be shooting Pokemon with rocket launchers from the jump.

It's very very painfully early access--the online is horrific, there's a ton of glitches, a lot of things are massively jank.

And yet...I caught a giant Quagsire dinosaur and he's adorable and I love him and he shoots rockets at people 10/10

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
false lol there has been 60 fps pokemon games even on the gba lol
The ones on GBA are the only mainline Pokémon games by Game Freak that always target 60 fps :D
BW/B2W2 also target 60 fps, but not all the way through. The overworld, for example, targets 30, but most menus and battles target 60 fps. All other games target only 30 fps.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The ones on GBA are the only mainline Pokémon games by Game Freak that always target 60 fps :D
BW/B2W2 also target 60 fps, but not all the way through. The overworld, for example, targets 30, but most menus and battles target 60 fps. All other games target only 30 fps.
still valid, he said gamefreak never made a 60 fps pokemon game and it did so my statement still stands.Ruby,Saphire, Fire red, Leaf green and Emerald all run at 60 fps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1