Palworld gets a teaser for a fanmade Pokemon mod, Nintendo takes it down in mere hours

maxresdefault.jpg

With the overwhelmingly positive reception that Palworld has gotten the past few couple of days, the surge of mods for the game was more than expected, and of course, given the obvious comparisons between Palworld and Pokemon floating around, a Pokemon mod for Palworld was only a matter of time.

ToastedShoes teased a brand new Pokemon mod for Palworld on his Twitter account on January 22nd, 2024, with the mod showcasing a player mod that changes the main character to Ash Ketchum of the Pokemon anime series, as well as changing the "Pal" creatures from Palworld into actual Pokemon 3D models. However, it didn't take long for Nintendo to catch up to this.

Just mere hours after the Twitter teaser post was made, Nintendo sent a full DMCA takedown to both the modder's YouTube video, and also to the teaser tweet made by him. Not only that, but it seems that other people that are even sharing images of the mod in any capacity are also getting takedowns from NIntendo on Twitter.

It's not surprising that Nintendo would go this hard after a mod for their now main competitor in a creature-centric franchise, but it's important to note that the mod itself by ToastedShoes wasn't available for free, and given the current action by Nintendo, it's unlikely the mod will ever see the light of day, or at least until someone else decides to do apart from ToastedShoes.

:arrow: Archive.org link for the mod showcase video
:arrow: Archive.org link for the original tweet by ToastedShoes

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah yeah, because it's the lack of ownership that has everyone concerned here ;)

I do agree that as far as mods go, this is a low-effort one. Still, it could be the highest effort mod in history and it'd be treason to charge money for it, even if price was proportional to effort.
Modding is and should be for the community and for fun, coming in with the expectation of being paid “proportional to effort” misses the point. If you want to be paid for your work you get a job. If you consistently produce high quality mods/work long term on one big mod people *might* pay you for your effort, but coming in with the assumption of getting paid is grift mentality and is rightfully discouraged.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This was all a false flag situation. Nintendo planted that modder to make Palworld seem like more of a threat to Nintendo's IPs, so the legal case will look better when they sue the developers in a week or two.

That genuinely seems more likely than someone being so stupid as to charge money for a just-announced project that involved using unauthorized use of Nintendo's assets. :mellow:
Considering like a day later TPC started their “investigation” on Palworld, I think you might be onto something with this one.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Irastris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That genuinely seems more likely than someone being so stupid as to charge money for a just-announced project that involved using unauthorized use of Nintendo's assets. :mellow:

I need you to know that this post was so incredible I had to resurrect my account and make my first post in 6 years to finally drop the screenshot I've been savoring ever since the rumors started.

The internet sure does love to latch on to whatever speculation generates the most negativity, huh?

1706771000174.png

• Haha
Reactions: therabbitofthenorth

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto