Palworld gets a teaser for a fanmade Pokemon mod, Nintendo takes it down in mere hours

maxresdefault.jpg

With the overwhelmingly positive reception that Palworld has gotten the past few couple of days, the surge of mods for the game was more than expected, and of course, given the obvious comparisons between Palworld and Pokemon floating around, a Pokemon mod for Palworld was only a matter of time.

ToastedShoes teased a brand new Pokemon mod for Palworld on his Twitter account on January 22nd, 2024, with the mod showcasing a player mod that changes the main character to Ash Ketchum of the Pokemon anime series, as well as changing the "Pal" creatures from Palworld into actual Pokemon 3D models. However, it didn't take long for Nintendo to catch up to this.

Just mere hours after the Twitter teaser post was made, Nintendo sent a full DMCA takedown to both the modder's YouTube video, and also to the teaser tweet made by him. Not only that, but it seems that other people that are even sharing images of the mod in any capacity are also getting takedowns from NIntendo on Twitter.

It's not surprising that Nintendo would go this hard after a mod for their now main competitor in a creature-centric franchise, but it's important to note that the mod itself by ToastedShoes wasn't available for free, and given the current action by Nintendo, it's unlikely the mod will ever see the light of day, or at least until someone else decides to do apart from ToastedShoes.

:arrow: Archive.org link for the mod showcase video
:arrow: Archive.org link for the original tweet by ToastedShoes

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Fucked around, found out. This mod was an obviously clout chase and was going to be hit instantly. They should have waited until it was completely finished and then rapidly spread it across multiple platforms.

Last edited by The Catboy,

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fucked around, found out. This mod was an obviously clout chase and was going to be hit instantly. They should have waited until it was completely finished and then rapidly spread it across multiple platforms.
Makes me wonder if it was solely an attention grab from the beginning. Maybe they knew that Nintendo would drop the hammer upon seeing Pokemon in Palworld and just whipped up a teaser trailer, with no intention to actually create the mod. Pretty safe bet, I'd say, with Nintendo being Nintendo, and easy enough to back away from even if they didn't react.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, I'm more concerned with the fact people are hoisting this game up as much as they are. The fact people paid for an online only game is illogical, you realize that not only is that money gone, but so will the game whenever the developers pull the plug on it? If this is the getup people have as a solution to "go against Nintendo" then one is barking up the wrong tree and looking dumb about it.

I was wrong.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The fact people paid for an online only game is illogical, you realize that not only is that money gone, but so will the game whenever the developers pull the plug on it? If this is the getup people have as a solution to "go against Nintendo" then one is barking up the wrong tree and looking dumb about it.
It's not online-only. You can make a fully single-player world and change it to multiplayer any time you want, or never. Not sure why people are so confused on that.

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well, I'm more concerned with the fact people are hoisting this game up as much as they are. The fact people paid for an online only game is illogical, you realize that not only is that money gone, but so will the game whenever the developers pull the plug on it? If this is the getup people have as a solution to "go against Nintendo" then one is barking up the wrong tree and looking dumb about it.
we all know the real solution is to completely avoid literally any and everything that could conceivably be related to Nintendo like its the plauge, but that's too hard for many people, especially those who are on Twitter and/or Reddit.

Reactions: Sapphire01

therabbitofthenorth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is about as “online-only” as Java Edition Minecraft, what with private dedicated server files and LAN support. So the only illogical thing here is how proudly you spout misinformation.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not online-only. You can make a fully single-player world and change it to multiplayer any time you want, or never. Not sure why people are so confused on that.
This game is about as “online-only” as Java Edition Minecraft, what with private dedicated server files and LAN support. So the only illogical thing here is how proudly you spout misinformation.
In all fairness, the videos I saw about the game never mentioned singleplayer elements, not to mention checking the Steam page, there is no "Singleplayer" tag on the game currently as seen in the image.

Attachments

• palworld.png
    palworld.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 9

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In all fairness, the videos I saw about the game never mentioned singleplayer elements, not to mention checking the Steam page, there is no "Singleplayer" tag on the game currently as seen in the image.

It's a bit lower if you're on phone, under the Features section, you have both Single Player and Online Co-op:

Screenshot_2024-01-24-22-08-14-225_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Reactions: Xzi

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sounds fishy magikarpy to me.

The modder must have been forever 10 years old to think this could work out.

LokeYourLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Too many mod developers these days thinking they can modify games and copy assets from others to then only make profit off of them. I develop mods for free in my free-time and take no money for it at all, never would as it would destroy the idea of modding for me at its core level. And honestly, what made you think MONETIZING A POKÉMON MOD will in any sort of way work out for you? Jfc some modders these days are way too cheeky and aggressive with their desire for monetizing mods, which is why some companies are, understandably so, going up against it now. Resident Evil is a good example of this, but a paid Pokémon mod? That never worked out anywhere, really.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Not all work has to be monetized. Especially asset swaps for assets you don’t fucking own.
Ah yeah, because it's the lack of ownership that has everyone concerned here ;)

I do agree that as far as mods go, this is a low-effort one. Still, it could be the highest effort mod in history and it'd be treason to charge money for it, even if price was proportional to effort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto