Palworld becomes the 2nd highest "All-Time Peak" game with concurrent players in Steam's history

The brand-new indie game Palworld has taken the gaming world by surprise, with an overwhelming reception from different sources, and in just 4 days since its release in early-access, the game has sold over 6 million copies.

Palworld has been in development since 2021 by Pocket Pair. The game focuses in a survival environment similar to that of ARK, with the option to play it co-op online, but with the twist of the game having creatures called "Pals" that the player can catch and battle, similar to that of Pokemon, and once caught they can even aid the player in all kinds of tasks. These Pals come in a variety of forms, with over 100 creatures, and the player can become involved in the fights between the creatures, as well as fight off other people, or one of several antagonist factions found in the game. The fights can be done with all kinds of weapons, ranging from melee weapons to even guns, and this can also be used against the creatures, or to aid the creatures in battle.

In the 4 days since the game's launch January 19th, 2024, the game's hasn't only sold surprisingly well with its 6 million copies, but it has also achieved the record of having the 2nd All-Time Peak concurrent players at the same time for a paid game with a number of 1,864,421 players being the all time peak registered as of today. PUBG still holds the #1 record on Steam (when it was still paid), which retains the record with around 3.2 million as the all time peak concurrent players online.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Steam's Most Played
:arrow: Palworld on Steam

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
everyone will forgot this game in 2 weeks, like everything else
It's not a live-service game, so a continuously-high player count isn't all that important. There's about 30 hours of content before you even get to the "endgame" of breeding, enhancing and optimizing Pal passives. It's rather impressive by Early Access standards, just missing some polish and bug fixes.

I almost got this game.
I started the download
I looked at the main page for the game
I realized that I don't have nearly enough time to start an MMO
I stopped the download
Not an MMO either, despite whatever the tags may say. It has multiplayer servers with up to 32 players each, but it's just as easy to progress in single-player since the Pals automate a lot of tasks.

Last edited by Xzi,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If anything, it's an Ark clone, with Pokemon, rather than "Pokemon with guns".

This. Also you can tweak the "survival" parts as to be insignificant.
It's a fun game, worthy of the current hype.

The actual great controversy it's because it's clearly using AI to clone pokémon concept art for their Pals, and might even be straight out ripping pokémon 3D models as base.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't really tell from the video, but does that mean the boss trainers will be shooting your Pokemon Pals too? Also, are you buying guns for your Pals or do they come with it? Lol

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't really tell from the video, but does that mean the boss trainers will be shooting your Pokemon Pals too? Also, are you buying guns for your Pals or do they come with it? Lol
All the trainers so far ride on the back of their Pal and use them to attack. You have to research guns on the tech tree for each individual Pal that can use them, and then craft. Syndicate guys drop a lot of different ammo, but not their guns.

I like that guns are shown to be kind of useless in a world full of creatures that have superpowers.

Reactions: Veho

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet every single one of them is a Pokemon idiot fanatic who said, at first, "Hey! A new Pokemon game!"

...without realizing that it's on Steam, there's guns, and all the creatures are tortured then eaten or brutally killed. Not Pokemon; just looks similar but then again it can fool quite a few people. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo isn't investigating Pocket Pair for plagiarism.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaxom

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
...without realizing that it's on Steam, there's guns, and all the creatures are tortured then eaten or brutally killed.
Not true. You can work your Pals to death by starving them or making them go insane, but that isn't at all optimal since some have passives which improve their work speed or combat effectiveness. It's super easy to take care of their needs and build up a massive operation in the process.

In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo isn't investigating Pocket Pair for plagiarism.
You don't have to change much about an existing design to make it legally distinct. Pokemon was inspired by monster designs that came before it as well.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If anything, it's an Ark clone, with Pokemon, rather than "Pokemon with guns".

I'm genuinely surprised by how many people are loving it--I expected the kind of strict survival elements to scare off a lot of people who expected it to just be shooting Pokemon with rocket launchers from the jump.

It's very very painfully early access--the online is horrific, there's a ton of glitches, a lot of things are massively jank.

And yet...I caught a giant Quagsire dinosaur and he's adorable and I love him and he shoots rockets at people 10/10

We need more honest game reviews like this.

Reactions: Chary

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's probably even higher with Gamepass.
The game is so much fun, people are raging over it on Twitter for no reason.
It's just a fun game, get over it

I bet every single one of them is a Pokemon idiot fanatic who said, at first, "Hey! A new Pokemon game!"

...without realizing that it's on Steam, there's guns, and all the creatures are tortured then eaten or brutally killed. Not Pokemon; just looks similar but then again it can fool quite a few people. In fact, I'm surprised Nintendo isn't investigating Pocket Pair for plagiarism.
You're trippin
If Nintendo hasn't investigated, it's because they don't have a case. There's no plagiarism, there's literally nothing wrong with Palworld.

Last edited by LightBeam,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm surprised Nintendo isn't investigating Pocket Pair for plagiarism.
It’s not plagiarism. Pokémon wasn’t the first monster collecting game and has even taken inspiration from other media, like Dragon Quest. Pokémon just won Capitalism

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You guys are missing @HarveyHouston's joke. He's not honestly arguing that Nintendo has a case.

Though I'm pretty sure that Nintendo/Gamefreak/whoever is investigating Palworld--looking at it very closely for a potential legal case.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
No!, PalWord is NOT a Pokèmon copy, no, never.

Could be a "The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild" copy:
Screenshot_2024-01-23-13-08-54-913_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Or a copy of Age of Empires (or FarmVille)
Screenshot_2024-01-23-13-09-33-893_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Even Sim City with the slaves building
Screenshot_2024-01-23-13-09-37-496_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

But never a Pokèmon cop...
Screenshot_2024-01-23-13-10-27-917_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

Come on!!!!!! I was trying, but Pikachú is Pikachú!!!!!!!!!!!

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • Love
Reactions: impeeza and tabzer

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I am more like these video meme about a snowflake winning about a guy "mocking" about the blue dyed hair people because he can not say any Pokèmon name so he described them and only know Pikachú name but EVERYONE KNOWS PIKACHÚ :P

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I am more like these video meme about a snowflake winning about a guy "mocking" about the blue dyed hair people because he can not say any Pokèmon name so he described them and only know Pikachú name but EVERYONE KNOWS PIKACHÚ :P

Speaking of snowflakes, when is nature going to sue game freaks?

Exhibit A:

latest.jpg

Exhibit B:

130789209-56a131fa3df78cf772684e53.jpg

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Meanwhile, Pokemon fans are screeching left and right for a ban of "this plagiarism of Pokémon" when it's already proven it isn't, calling for death threats against the devs and for a purge of every copy of the game. Please don't do the same and keep this thread calm and civil. For your own sake and the others'. Thank you.
A simple reminder.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure the Dex has said that humans eat Pokemon and vice versa, but they never made it so explicit as this game.

They probably did base their designs after Pokemon, but there is only so many ways you can do animals with different elemental powers.

All the trainers so far ride on the back of their Pal and use them to attack. You have to research guns on the tech tree for each individual Pal that can use them, and then craft. Syndicate guys drop a lot of different ammo, but not their guns.

I like that guns are shown to be kind of useless in a world full of creatures that have superpowers.
I know it isn't as purposely jarring, but if they instead (or also), had the humans use powers, it would feel more coherent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...