Tecomoon vs UWUVCI (vs. ???) in mid '23

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just modded my Wii U, and getting out of nusspli what I can for now. But gonna need to an injector app for GC and games I want on the Wii U that were never on VC. I know of these two injector apps, Teconmoon and UWUVCI. The latter appears to handle injections for all systems that were on VC, while Teconmoon's only does Wii and GC. But if Teconmoon's injector does Wii and GC better, I want to know, now before I start messing with either.

What's your preference and why? Is it best to commit to using just one or another? I've seen mentions of the gamepad screen going black and other bugs resulting from using both?

Last edited by Hanafuda,
Reactions: SnackyZackyCool

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use both. TeconMoon has abandoned his injector and given permission to 'piratesephiroth' to take it over. Updated builds can be found here: https://github.com/piratesephiroth/TeconmoonWiiVCInjector

For simplicity, we're still going to call TeconMoon's injector, even though its now being maintained by someone else, TeconMoon's injector. Or, simply TM's.

TM's injector has a few advantages over UWUVCI. Namely the ability use the Wii U's gamepad as a GameCube/Classic controller. But also included is vWii NAND and vWii homebrew title launchers, and UWUVCI can't do this. This is helpful if your console cannot boot GameCube injections (some cannot, they just black screen). Instead you can launch Nintendon't on vWii and that seems to work. Or WiiFlow/USBLoaderGX and that seems to work alright.

Otherwise, you'll use UWUVCI for everything. Compatibility for VC injections is pretty hit or miss. Don't forget about Retroarch. And the standalone Wii emulators for N64, because its really better than VC for most games. Remember that vWii Nand/Homebrew title launcher ability TM's injector has? Handy here too.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"ability use the Wii U's gamepad as a GameCube/Classic controller"

That's the type of info I'm looking for, thanks. Think I'll go with TM then for the Wii/GC stuff.

Only using 1 hdd, a wd portable with y-cable, and don't really plan on engaging in the vWii stuff, at least not for now. I've got a modded Wii w/ component out and using r1281 of ulgx (looks great), got a GameCube with GC Loader using RB Prism HDMI adapter, N64 and SNES and NES all with their own flash carts, RGB mods, and a Framemeister ... it's getting a little redundant lol.

Also, apologies to @TeconMoon for misspelling his handle in the thread title.

Last edited by Hanafuda,

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"ability use the Wii U's gamepad as a GameCube/Classic controller"

That's the type of info I'm looking for, thanks. Think I'll go with TM then for the Wii/GC stuff.

Only using 1 hdd, a wd portable with y-cable, and don't really plan on engaging in the vWii stuff, at least not for now. I've got a modded Wii w/ component out and using r1281 of ulgx (looks great), got a GameCube with GC Loader using RB Prism HDMI adapter, N64 and SNES and NES all with their own flash carts, RGB mods, and a Framemeister ... it's getting a little redundant lol.

Also, apologies to @TeconMoon for misspelling his handle in the thread title.
If you plan on using one HDD, you definitely need TM's injector for Wii/Gamecube games. Injecting Wii/Gamecube games is the only way you can have one HDD. Otherwise you will need two drives, one for vWii and one for Wii U.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ability use the Wii U's gamepad as a GameCube/Classic controller

Wait, does that mean for any Wii game I would want to install and use the gamepad to control (I know about the compatibility list, and obviously only a classic controller game would apply) I shouldn't use nusspli to install the game, even if it was available on VC, but instead inject it with TC's injector? Or are the Wii games that were on VC only playable as they were on the official VC? (i.e. So if a Wii game is on nusspli, that's how I should install it)

Complicated considerations. Or I just don't know enough yet. Probably the latter.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, does that mean for any Wii game I would want to install and use the gamepad to control (I know about the compatibility list, and obviously only a classic controller game would apply) I shouldn't use nusspli to install the game, even if it was available on VC, but instead inject it with TC's injector? Or are the Wii games that were on VC only playable as they were on the official VC? (i.e. So if a Wii game is on nusspli, that's how I should install it)

Complicated considerations. Or I just don't know enough yet. Probably the latter.
TM’s injector mimics official Wii VC but has a few extras. You will not be able to use the gamepad as a controller and will need a Wiimote+classic controller add-on when using the official ones. You can also opt out of using the gamepad as a controller with TM’s injector, so they will act the exact same as the VC titles made by Nintendo. I have both installed.

As a matter of fact, you have to opt IN to using the gamepad as a controller with TM’s injector.

Attached are the settings in TM's injector.

Attachments

• VCInjector.png
    VCInjector.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 93

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM’s injector mimics official Wii VC but has a few extras. You will not be able to use the gamepad as a controller and will need a Wiimote+classic controller add-on when using the official ones. You can also opt out of using the gamepad as a controller with TM’s injector, so they will act the exact same as the VC titles made by Nintendo. I have both installed.

As a matter of fact, you have to opt IN to using the gamepad as a controller with TM’s injector.

Attached are the settings in TM's injector.

Is that an opt-in at time of playing, or opt-in at time of setting up the injection (and it always plays that way)?

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that an opt-in at time of playing, or opt-in at time of setting up the injection (and it always plays that way)?
If you opt to use the gamepad as the TV/Controller in TM's injector, it will ask you on startup of the game if you wish to use the gamepad. If you select no, the screen still works but you will need a Wiimote and a classic controller/nunchuck if the game requires it. Likewise, if you select yes, you can still use a Wiimote and a classic controller/nunchuck if you wish. If you press the home button, you can swap the display output from the gamepad to the TV if you have it hooked up to a TV.

In my opinion, there is little reason to use the official Wii VC injects. TM's just gives you more options and no disadvantages. Having said that, I do still have some official ones installed.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.jpeg
    IMG_4350.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you opt to use the gamepad as the TV/Controller in TM's injector, it will ask you on startup of the game if you wish to use the gamepad. If you select no, the screen still works but you will need a Wiimote and a classic controller/nunchuck if the game requires it. Likewise, if you select yes, you can still use a Wiimote and a classic controller/nunchuck if you wish. If you press the home button, you can swap the display output from the gamepad to the TV if you have it hooked up to a TV.

In my opinion, there is little reason to use the official Wii VC injects. TM's just gives you more options and no disadvantages. Having said that, I do still have some official ones installed.

Got it. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AFAIK UWUVCI catched up with Teconmoon's functions, so both tools should be able to do the same. Take this with a grain of salt through as I never ever managed to get UWUVCI to work (and nobody was able to give support for that), so what I say is not first hand experience.

When you look into the codes of both tools you'll notice that both are C# GUIs using (almost?) the same CLI tools as backends, so whatever tool you choose it should create the inject exactly like the other tool. Was a long time since I looked into the codes through, so take this with a grain of salt, too.

BTW: What I'm really waiting for is one of the two tools porting all the CLI tools they use to C#, then killing the useless Windows API calls in their GUI codes and as a result get a cross-platform injector where the devs are actually able to change the "backend" codes, too, instead of relying on old, unmaintained executables. ^^

Chuardo

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
No problem!
Is see that both tools have been updated, is there any reason for choosing one over the other? I'm only going to do Gamecube injects.
AFAIK UWUVCI catched up with Teconmoon's functions, so both tools should be able to do the same. Take this with a grain of salt through as I never ever managed to get UWUVCI to work (and nobody was able to give support for that), so what I say is not first hand experience.

When you look into the codes of both tools you'll notice that both are C# GUIs using (almost?) the same CLI tools as backends, so whatever tool you choose it should create the inject exactly like the other tool. Was a long time since I looked into the codes through, so take this with a grain of salt, too.

BTW: What I'm really waiting for is one of the two tools porting all the CLI tools they use to C#, then killing the useless Windows API calls in their GUI codes and as a result get a cross-platform injector where the devs are actually able to change the "backend" codes, too, instead of relying on old, unmaintained executables. ^^
Hey everyone, is there a way to play GC Injects without using a Wiimote? I don't want to use any Wiimote, I want to pick a GC VC Injection, and start playing with the Gamepad or GC Adapter, I want to skip the "Select a display option." that forces you to pick up a Wii Remote just to select an option and never use it again. Is there any injection that ignores the "Select a display option." screen, or any Aroma plug in or something that lets you use another controller on the "Select a display option."?

ZestyTS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, is there a way to play GC Injects without using a Wiimote? I don't want to use any Wiimote, I want to pick a GC VC Injection, and start playing with the Gamepad or GC Adapter, I want to skip the "Select a display option." that forces you to pick up a Wii Remote just to select an option and never use it again. Is there any injection that ignores the "Select a display option." screen, or any Aroma plug in or something that lets you use another controller on the "Select a display option."?
This only happens because your GamePad will be connected as first player, if you move the GamePad away from the system before you click "Screen" you should be fine, it's what I do if I want to use different controllers.

• UWUVCI has all the features of Teconmoon.
  • Been working on porting the tools for UWUVCI, it's been a challenge because most of those tools are not written in C#, and I'm not great with C or C++
  • If you go to use UWUVCI again, reach out to me, I'll try to help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: