RELEASE SXOS Hidden Emunand Backup Tool

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Horaldo, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Horaldo
    OP

Horaldo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Australia
    Hi Guys

Here is tool to help you backup your BOOT0 , BOOT1 , Rawnand from your SXOS Hidden Emunand SD card.
    This uses a free tool provided from Microsoft Sector Inspector to create the backup.

Please note that once you have selected your backup location it may look like the program has closed. In reality it is doing its thing in the background, Just wait as rawnand is 29GB in size this takes a while.
    A popup will display once backup is completed. I'm planing to have this resolved with the implementation of a progress bar.

The .Zip file attached contains the following:
    SecInspector
    TX Hidden Emunand Backup Tool
    Source Code

When i have some free time i will try add the below additional features & improvements. More than happy if someone else wants to make the changes, just provide the code once done.

**Future Features**
    Add Option to Restore backup to new SD card
    Progress Bar during Rawnand Backup/Restore
    Option to Backup/Restore individual items EG. BOOT0 , BOOT1 or Rawnand

Finally shutouts to the following people for helping discover this solution & for the coding
    Farni -
    RoyalPatch
    TX for their products.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited by Horaldo, Oct 12, 2019
    lordelan, Switchup, gizmomelb and 3 others like this.
  2. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    At first glance at title I was thinking SX OS has some hidden feature that you have found. :D

Ericthegreat and A3660537JPN like this.
  3. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Same here, clickbait title a bit but well atleast you did detail enough in the post itself :)

4. Horaldo
    OP

Horaldo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Australia
    If admin wants rename title from TX to SXOS to avoid any confusion.

5. ELY_M

ELY_M Developer

pip Developer
    Dec 6, 2007
    United States
    I will do testing on atmosphere emunand

Deobulakenyo likes this.
  6. Deobulakenyo

Deobulakenyo GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2018
    Philippines
    this i gotta wait for.

7. xRock

xRock Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2019
    France
    we can start Task Manager to see if it works.
    If working, you'll see Sector inspector using your disk (can't send a screen cuz I don't have 5 posts yet)

Horaldo likes this.
  8. gizmomelb

gizmomelb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    Australia
    nice work, thanks for including the powershell script

Horaldo likes this.
  9. Horaldo
    OP

Horaldo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Australia
    Sneak Peak of Version 2.0
    Unfortunately i had to move away from PS however Source will be provided.

Also looking at adding option to enter custom sector values, this will give user the ability to backup alternative sectors. From what i have read so far Atmosphere may be on different sectors. I personally have not tried backing up atmosphere yet.

https://ibb.co/30YcVhZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has experience with vb.net & would like to give me a hand please DM on GBATEMP Discord chan. Same username as here.

Thanks

Last edited by Horaldo, Oct 14, 2019
    Luckz, 20mark, BeatZeps and 1 other person like this.
  10. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2013
    Australia
    sxos emunand starts at sector 0x02

all the tool would need is the sector range in which u place the emumd nand partition, now people who used atmos would place this at end of the card. u would need to know the starting point of where the nand is placed to end of the card.

or something like memloader to mount the partitions first then back them up?

11. kublai

kublai GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    United States
    Nice tool. Thanks.

12. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    For atmosphere the ideal way would be to read emummc/emummc.ini to read the start address of the emunand, because it can be anywhere.

ELY_M likes this.
  13. Switch_Maniac

Switch_Maniac Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2018
    United States
    Guess since I dual boot them from the same emunand I can just dump once :lol: and don't have to guess where the atmo one is...Gonna check this out later. It's for sure been something that's been asked for, for a while.

14. mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I mean, in fairness, it's all in how you read it. When spoken aloud with the correct emphasis, it can easily mean exactly what it's trying to say. I actually read it as the Hidden Emunand + Backup Tool. As opposed Hidden + Emunand Backup Tool, if that makes sense. So, not exactly intentional in the clickbait sense.

15. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    France
    You don't know either on which MBR partition is located the "emummc" folder, don't you ?

I guess the best way to do this is the way hekate does it (emunand migration tool) :
    - Iterate every mmc's MBR partition
    - For each partition, look for the GPT signature (EFI PART) of RAWNAND (in most case at offset 0x4001, after both BOOT partition)
    - If signature is found, you’ve got your emuMMC partition : break, otherwise : continue to next iteration

That's the way I implemented it in NxNandManager, and it seems to work fine ;-)

Last edited by eliboa, Oct 15, 2019
  16. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 4, 2012
    Netherlands
    in front of a screen...
    Nah no real harm was done here so it's all good :)

But please keep in mind that a title can be misleading ... even though it was not intended that way. (We humans be a strange folk about how that all works really). And then things can spiral a bit out of control. If you can prevent that it's better than in most cases correcting / curing a situation afterwards.

But as I mentioned you detailed the essence in the initial post itself very well :) so then a title is just that ... a title.

17. Juancafr

Juancafr Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2007
    The emunand has been corrupted but I managed to make a backup before, now how do I restore it? Thank you

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted