Hacking Sx Core and Sx Lite , test Units Received

Artwebb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No man , recommended by all installers to put 3 lines on the heat sink on top.
After opening the switch i honestly dont know how this processor is being cooled, with the thermal paste on the caps not cpu, and blobs of paste everywhere

Yes man that is way too much paste. Its basically doing absolutely nothing, the heat is being transferred up the copper to the fan anyways. That shield over top of that isnt really doing anything. If anything you just need it on the actual copper bar. Too much paste has always been counter productive.

Last edited by Artwebb,

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No man , recommended by all installers to put 3 lines on the heat sink on top.
After opening the switch i honestly dont know how this processor is being cooled, with the thermal paste on the caps not cpu, and blobs of paste everywhere
Cooling is only really done by the heat pipe. The top shielding is for interference. Nintendo just happens to double it's purpose as a crappy heat spreader (which is why you see that extremely low quality red paste on that layer).

It's not necessary at all to even have that layer of shielding on it at all. There's no downside to having that much paste, but it's far from a requirement.

As for cooling. You need a small amount (not even the desktop pea sized, even less than that) of paste on the cpu die, and then again on that copper square on the cpu/nand shielding. Heat goes from the die, to the copper, then to the heat pipe.

Personally I left both the interference shielding (the big one) and the cpu/nand shielding off, and I mounted the heat pipe directly to the die with a very small amount of paste in between.

Fully maxed out specs: 1.7ghz, 921mhz gpu, 1600mhz memory. The highest temperature I've ever had is 50°C. That's in Xenoblade and Doom. Have never been able to hit 51°C. Most other games I'm in the 40s in gameplay. This is while the system is in the official Nintendo flip case (shouldn't effect airflow, but I'm stating it anyways).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: vincentallen2

Xandroz

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Good to know, so i can remove this crap and mount directly, that is way better and effient cooling totally
Might try that really, how long you been using it like that

ill decrease the paste going forward, i focused on the main chip a pea sized drop of artic.

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know, so i can remove this crap and mount directly, that is way better and effient cooling totally
Might try that really, how long you been using it like that

ill decrease the paste going forward, i focused on the main chip a pea sized drop of artic.
I've been running this for a few weeks now. Shortly after my sxlite came in, July 20 something. I had the main interference shielding off for a few months since I have one of the smoke clear shells. But I only kept the SoC/Nand shield off after the installation of the SX Lite. There was no way for me to measure actual temps before hacking, so I have no real measurements to compare against.

Even if you keep all of the shielding the only ones that are important is above and below the copper shim that's built into the SoC/Nand shielding. That way heat can transfer the best it can from the die to the

Reactions: Xandroz

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dead switch but I'm pretty sure the Nand is still good. Can I swap the Nand chip out in my sx core and backup my saves?

snk2

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
After installing an sx lite, how long does it take to create the Emunand? Is it as long as dumping the nand? Because that took a looong time, like 2+ hours

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing an sx lite, how long does it take to create the Emunand? Is it as long as dumping the nand? Because that took a looong time, like 2+ hours
It took me over an hour easily. I wasn't really timing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around an hour and a half.

As long as it completed successfully, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to make another backup next time you upgrade your sysnand. Just plug in the power and run it before you go to bed.

snk2

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Need some help with my lite stuck on Boot.dat screen.

I installed the sx lite yesterday, it went well, I got the green light. I put the the latest sx os beta on my sd card, powered on the switch with the card inserted, updated the chip firmware then dumped the nand (which took a long time, over 2 hours).

Because it was late I decided to leave the creating Emunand part for today. So I powered off the switch, took the sd card out and copied the nand dump to my pc.

This morning I wanted to continue with the setup, but my switch shows the Boot.dat screen with the sd card inserted. Tried several times and I can't get past the screen. What can I try at this point?

My switch lite has the latest Nintendo fw version 10.1.0
Exfat drivers are installed
Sx lite updated to fw 1.3
Sx os latest beta 3.0.4
Sd card is Sandisk 128 GB formatted to FAT 32 with guiformat on pc

Reactions: Modificatorul

Modificatorul

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I installed the sx lite yesterday, it went well, I got the green light. I put the the latest sx os beta on my sd card, powered on the switch with the card inserted, updated the chip firmware then dumped the nand (which took a long time, over 2 hours).

Because it was late I decided to leave the creating Emunand part for today. So I powered off the switch, took the sd card out and copied the nand dump to my pc.

This morning I wanted to continue with the setup, but my switch shows the Boot.dat screen with the sd card inserted. Tried several times and I can't get past the screen. What can I try at this point?

Sx os latest beta 3.0.4

Can you test with another micro sd ?, h2testw the card ,inspect micro sd port, cap solder point, qsbs soldering , can you post pictures with the install ? try to boot with qsbs disconected from sx lite, if nothing works i can inspect for you if is the case.

Last edited by Modificatorul,
Reactions: iialaq01

iialaq01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sx os latest beta 3.0.4
I had the same issue with an unpatched switch on the same SX os 3.0.4 and formatted to fat 32 using a software. It always shows that it’s corrupted when I plug to Macbook. The issue was with the SD card. I formatted to FAT using MacBook them went to win 10 and formatted to fat 32 then plugged back and made sure that MacBook reads it and it worked fine. Try it and see. I hope it works

snk2

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Can you test with another micro sd ?, h2testw the card ,inspect micro sd port, cap solder point, qsbs soldering , can you post pictures with the install ? try to boot with qsbs disconected from sx lite, if nothing works i can inspect for you and test with another sx lite if is the case.
Just as I was going to reply, I tried again and it booted to SX menu. Creating Emunand as we speak, but it goes slowly (the dumping nand part).

I will see if the problem persists after I'm done with the emunand. I didn't take pictures of the install and I'd rather not open up the console if it can be avoided, but I can tell you that I protected the sd card slot with tape during the soldering and I checked after for solder splashes and there were none.

I will test the card with h2testw (I assume you mean the full test which takes a long time, right?) and I'll see if I can find another card also.

Modificatorul

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just as I was going to reply, I tried again and it booted to SX menu. Creating Emunand as we speak, but it goes slowly (the dumping nand part).

I will see if the problem persists after I'm done with the emunand. I didn't take pictures of the install and I'd rather not open up the console if it can be avoided, but I can tell you that I protected the sd card slot with tape during the soldering and I checked after for solder splashes and there were none.

I will test the card with h2testw (I assume you mean the full test which takes a long time, right?) and I'll see if I can find another card also.

i test only 40000mb write/read to check if is a fake card, if you have time do the full test.
And i also check the write speed buy just copying a big file using usb 3.0 card reader, so if the card is rated 40 write speed and i get only 10mb/s i start to suspect fake card.

If my post help you, you can press the like button don't by shy :)

Reactions: Banthors and snk2

snk2

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
i test only 40000mb write/read to check if is a fake card, if you have time do the full test.
And i also check the write speed buy just copying a big file using usb 3.0 card reader, so if the card is rated 40 write speed and i get only 10mb/s i start to suspect fake card.

If my post help you, you can press the like button don't by shy :)
well the the write speed was around 27mb/s when I copied a big file on the card a couple of days ago (not using usb 3.0 reader because I don't have one)

Modificatorul

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
well the the write speed was around 27mb/s when I copied a big file on the card a couple of days ago (not using usb 3.0 reader because I don't have one)
So i will say is not fake but can by foulty.
Also check if you have 2 partions on sd card in computer management/disk management, and try another micro sd card, i had a toshiba card not working on a v2 but working in a v1 unpached and a pny 512 with problems and rma.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP