Hacking Sx Core and Sx Lite , test Units Received

D

Deleted User

Except this doesnt class as basic work or any of that also small electronic repair doesnt class as that also. its an install service that requires at least some technical knowhow and trust. theres also the risk factor.

this isnt a shop this isnt a company its 1 person.

also for the type of work done on a console like this it isnt cheap.

I repaired a persons SD card slot literally 1 pin and a reflow, i wanted £20 that including the costs of the wire i had to purchase.
he paid me £50 (the same as i charge for an install)

you want to know why, other companies and repair shops were charging well over £100 or if he went to nintendo it may aswell be a new console.

Sure @ModderFokker619 may have initially quoted you a lower price and raised it , i did the same thing when i started installing these chips and also kept to my initial price to the people i quoted.
but his turnover is insane and for the work his higher price is fair.

I myself only did the lower price to get vouched for later work , in all fairness he should have at least met you halfway or said your install would be delayed.

But i cannot fault him especially with the attitude that was taken

I used to work in pc repair, it was free quote/checkup. £40 to reinstall windows

Im still not overwhelmed honestly the more work the better I dont even turnover at peak the amount modder does in a day most likely .

The price he does is fair. I literally had all the other installers i know say i was undervaluing myself when i told them my initial price

The only way a price increase would've been justified is if he took on another employee to help with the demand, then the increased cost is done to keep up with the demand. You shouldn’t increase the price because you are making too much money and want it to slow down, that makes no sense.

Last edited by ,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only way a price increase would've been justified is if he took on another employee to help with the demand, then the increased cost is done to keep up with the demand. You shouldn’t increase the price because you are making too much money and want it to slow down, that makes no sense.
actually the price increase was justified because it was too low in the first place.
the low price was to gain initial demand

its a nromal sales tactic

Reactions: caldeio

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way guys, what temp should I use on my soldering iron? I just received my SX Core today and will try to do it once I get a hold of a v2.

From a quick look, seems v1 is much easier to solder on(SP1/SP2) unlike v2 which has small soldering pads.

D

Deleted User

actually the price increase was justified because it was too low in the first place.
the low price was to gain initial demand

its a nromal sales tactic
Do you honestly think it is worth more than $40 an hour? It doesn’t take that long but let’s round up. $40 an hour for as many hours as you want a day, for as many days a week as you want, for as long as you choose. It should not cost more to install than the item itself, there is no way that is justified. The added value of the device should not be attributed to the installer since they did not invent it. Just the action of installing it, at $40 an hour for some light soldering seems reasonable.

Last edited by ,

Helidwarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
By the way guys, what temp should I use on my soldering iron? I just received my SX Core today and will try to do it once I get a hold of a v2.

From a quick look, seems v1 is much easier to solder on(SP1/SP2) unlike v2 which has small soldering pads.
I used 350°C and it worked well, maybe someone else more experienced can chip in as well.

Reactions: Akira

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do you honestly think it is worth more than $40 an hour? It doesn’t take that long but let’s round up. $40 an hour for as many hours as you want a day, for as many days a week as you want, for as long as you choose. It should not cost more to install than the item itself, there is no way that is justified. The added value of the device should not be attributed to the installer since they did not invent it. Just the action of installing it, at $40 an hour for some light soldering seems reasonable. Nurses and Dental assistants don’t make $40 an hour for their efforts and they have it a lot worse.
okay you want to put it that way.

Do the install, 20-60 minutes depending on console lite/core + troubleshooting. not including reassembly.

setting up an emunand and nand backup : 2hours yes we literally need to keep your console running for 2 hours to backup the nand to create an emunand.

if you want a partition its another 2 hours.

troubleshooting any issues that could arise when booting emunand etc as long is it takes.

for example i have spent like 9 hours alone troubleshooting @Danatkin switch lite.
it was a perfect install green light. did a nand dump, it pinked screened into emunand cfw.
doesnt pink screen into sysnand cfw.
then the mod chip died
yes it fucking died.

desoldered / resoldered it many times.
only confirmed its the chip when another install arrived today.

still pink screens on emunand.
im gonna have to do another 2 hours dumping the nand again and if it continues
another 2 hours to see if its the card.

you fail to realise we go above and beyond into our own time at a flat rate.

imagine if you went to a repair an charged by the hour all the extra maintenance etc yeah you get your moneys worth

D

Deleted User

okay you want to put it that way.

Do the install, 20-60 minutes depending on console lite/core + troubleshooting. not including reassembly.

setting up an emunand and nand backup : 2hours yes we literally need to keep your console running for 2 hours to backup the nand to create an emunand.

if you want a partition its another 2 hours.

troubleshooting any issues that could arise when booting emunand etc as long is it takes.

for example i have spent like 9 hours alone troubleshooting @Danatkin switch lite.
it was a perfect install green light. did a nand dump, it pinked screened into emunand cfw.
doesnt pink screen into sysnand cfw.
then the mod chip died
yes it fucking died.

desoldered / resoldered it many times.
only confirmed its the chip when another install arrived today.

still pink screens on emunand.
im gonna have to do another 2 hours dumping the nand again and if it continues
another 2 hours to see if its the card.

you fail to realise we go above and beyond into our own time at a flat rate.

imagine if you went to a repair an charged by the hour all the extra maintenance etc yeah you get your moneys worth

Most of what you just said is unattended time, during which you would be soldering another unit. Being expected to multitask is expected at $40 an hour.

Last edited by ,

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most of what you just said is unattended time, during which you would be soldering another unit. Being expected to multitask is expected at $40 an hour.
ah yes all that time unattended hate to break it to you thats not how it works, even if its unattended it still needs to be managed.

if you get a callout and need a repair for a pc.
you dont try and say to them (oh you had to download drivers that unattended time)
oh windows was installing for an hour and you were not doing anything that unattended

thats not how it works and the sooner you understand this the better.
also if modder does 10 switches a day the overlap of nand dumping checking and copying the files itself adds up immensely

The8Darkness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Still comparing a simple wage to the price of a service.
Getting x$ an hour beeing employeed and charging y$ an hour beeing independent is not even remotely comparable.

Employeed:
-You dont deal with marketing without pay
-You dont deal with customers without pay
-You dont deal with company taxes without pay
-You dont deal with legal issues
-You get company insurance
-Company provides als necessary tools and materials
-You are guaranteed x hours of work per day for x amount of pay
-You have several other securities and benefits depending on the company

Independent:
-You need to attract customers
-You need to deal with them
-You need to do taxes
-You need to deal with legal issues
-You need to pay for mistakes
-You need to provide all tools and materials (plus at a higher price than any bigger company)
-One day you might get too much work, the next day you get no work for a week

Sure you can buy an insurance from another company and hire people to do all the other work - but at that point we would be at like 200$ for a single install - unless you hire 10 more people to do install work, which you cant just simply to from one day to the next - you need patience, time and money reserves

How people dont understand that big companies, especially in production with fixed contracts, guaranteeing work, can produce a lot cheaper than any single-man-show, is beyond anybodys mind.

In the small company I used to work we were (tranlated to usd) roughly 120$/hour and employees got paid roughly 20$/hour - where did all the other money go? Our boss must have been a multi-millionaire - no, in fact he wasnt earning that much more per hour than we, since he was often working 12+ hours/day + some hours even on weekends.

Meanwhile another bigger company offering similiar services as we were charging like 90$ an hour, paying roughly the same but their boss having basicly retired while beeing a multi-millionaire and barely having to handle things anymore.

And its not about sx installs price gouging. Ask local repair/soldering companys what soldering would cost if you took the disassembled and ready to solder switch to them, they soldered the 6 joints for like 5-10 minutes and did nothing else. I did and got quoted 70$ - no shipping, disassembly, testing, reassembly or anything else.

Just create your own company and get rich if you think its all that easy and you simply gain whatever you charge with 0 issues or risks.

Reactions: Chillimonster

Tom8823

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I have a PM with details about a good place to order Mariko chip?

Also, does anyone know a person doing the installation in Canada (Mississauga/Toronto area)?

Last edited by Tom8823,
D

Deleted User

ah yes all that time unattended hate to break it to you thats not how it works, even if its unattended it still needs to be managed.

if you get a callout and need a repair for a pc.
you dont try and say to them (oh you had to download drivers that unattended time)
oh windows was installing for an hour and you were not doing anything that unattended

thats not how it works and the sooner you understand this the better.
also if modder does 10 switches a day the overlap of nand dumping checking and copying the files itself adds up immensely

What I am saying is that you are still making $40 each hour. The soldering is one part, once that is done the system runs unattended while you start the next solder. Those actions together are part of the greater task, that you are getting paid for. No one is forcing you to do one unit at a time unless you want to. You work at your own pace for as long as you want with no expectation of urgency. That’s what it means to be independent.

Last edited by ,

Deleted member 191657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So you think it is ethical for scalpers to charge inflated prices for Switches while simultaneously depleting the supply causing artificial scarcity? Just because people can be forced to pay those prices does that make it right? Scalpers are the ones causing the the price of Switch to rise and now they are causing the mod installation price to rise, since they are able to get $700 for a modded Switch. Everyone else has to suffer because of their greed, it’s an elitist way to operate. Causing the price to rise so no one else can afford it, then acting like raising the price has any effect on productivity is disingenuous. The only thing increased demand effects is turnaround time, more demand the longer the wait. Charging a fair price that everyone can afford, not only the scalpers is the right thing to do. The Switch and mod chip are a lot harder to produce and are priced fairly, charging more just because you can is unethical. The resources needed to manufacture those two components are much harder to come by than 6 points of solder and thermal paste. Most people would be pleased to make $40 an hour.

For starters, this is a luxury item, no one has the NEED for it, and for me that's enough to throw ethics out of the window.

No, selling a modded switch for 700USD is not unethical, but I can say that buying one is stupid as hell. As I said the price will automagically come down as soon as the demand slows down, so just wait it out. Or if you REALLY can't wait, just buy yourself a chip directtly for the official resellers (you can get one for 50-60 USD), buy a decent mid tier soldier like a TS100, some leaded solder, some flux and after a bit of trial and error on throwaway stuff you'll be able to do it yourself.

You have options, no one is forcing your wallet here.

Reactions: masbass

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I am saying is that you are still making $40 each hour. The soldering is one part, once that is done the system runs unattended while you start the next solder. Those actions together are part of the greater task, that you are getting paid for. No one is forcing you to do one unit at a time unless you want to. You work at your own pace for as long as you want with no expectation of urgency. That’s what it means to be independent.
actually those services are part of the quote its not separate, this includes me backing up the nands locally for users.

also like you said the actions are part of the greater task i am doing.
which means im doing it it still classifies as the times i take.

honestly im blocking you.

you are literally a Karen.
you sound like your the type of person who sees an item for sale then complains the next day its not that price

Tinkerbell

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Up until now this has been such a friendly and interesting thread about the mod chips but all this bickering about prices has gone on far too long.

The people offering to install these mods are providing a service to those of us who have little or no soldering skills and want the job done properly. We should be grateful they are offering to help, where else would be able to get them fitted? Of course they are going to charge for their time. You can spend ages arguing and looking for someone cheaper but beware the saying 'if you pay peanuts then you get monkeys'.

If you think the price of something is too high then the solution is simple - don't buy it.

Now please boys be nice or go away.

Reactions: masbass
D

Deleted User

For starters, this is a luxury item, no one has the NEED for it, and for me that's enough to throw ethics out of the window.

No, selling a modded switch for 700USD is not unethical, but I can say that buying one is stupid as hell. As I said the price will automagically come down as soon as the demand slows down, so just wait it out. Or if you REALLY can't wait, just buy yourself a chip directtly for the official resellers (you can get one for 50-60 USD), buy a decent mid tier soldier like a TS100, some leaded solder, some flux and after a bit of trial and error on throwaway stuff you'll be able to do it yourself.

You have options, no one is forcing your wallet here.
I have a Mod chip, I preordered it as soon as it became available. At that time I also made arrangements for its installation. I didn’t continue to bother the person that agreed to install it while I waited because that would serve no purpose. I didn’t lurk these threads because it would only frustrate me while I waited. I only came back to this site to touch base with the installer to send the money and get the address, much to my disappointment. It is not unreasonable to expect someone to honor that agreement, especially since I explained I didn’t have my mod chip but wanted to find a reputable installer I could trust to install it. I saw some of his work and thought it looked great so I reached out. Turns out every one that bought theirs after me already received theirs and are flooding the market. So now I‘ve waited 2 months for nothing, and now I am the asshole for thinking people respected agreements they made before were too good for me.

D

Deleted User

My three cents

Everybody can set their prices as high as they want, they can even charge 1000 bucks per installation.

And you have every right to refuse and take your business to someone else.

Simple as that.
I am not expecting anyone to lower the price for me, I asked this person if they would install it for me 2 months ago and they agreed. I have been waiting this whole time for the package to arrive, When I came to ask where to send it suddenly the price is almost twice what I was quoted at.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!