Hardware Switch super underpowered according to Respawn Entertainment

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
This is not even the first such news. I already count 4 (this included). We are talking about 4 designers/studios already, not interested to work on the switch. Cannot remember all of them right now, borderlands was another one. Great start!

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wake up from your wet dreams...

The Switch is not a HOME console to compete with XB1 or PS4, it's first an foremost a handheld console and successor to the 3DS.

The gimmick this time is not 3D it is the SWITCH portion of the console which enables the handheld to be played on a big screen TV at home in native 1080p not upscaled and the joy-cons to used a home style controller (with smaller buttons that is).

At best the Switch will only be 2x more powerful than Wii U/PS3/X360 which is still 2x less powerful than a PS4/XB1 and where not even including the Pro or Scorpio, as a home console that's a disappointment but a as handheld it's kind of revelation.

The Switch can run without the dock ever needed but as a part of the gimmick for it's release the dock is forced upon all early adopters, I highly suspect by 2018 Nintendo will be selling dockless version of the Switch with more colors for a reduced price to attract 3DS owners looking to upgrade and younger kids.

It's still not all bad if you look at it this way, any game that's ever came out on the Wii U/PS3/X360 can be ported over to the Switch without any compromise in resolution and framerate and can be played on the go anywhere and anything developed on the ground up for the Switch will definately look better than any PS3/X360/Wii U game ever released.

I'm buying the Switch first as a handheld and from what is offered it's has met and exceeded my expectations on that aspect, now for being able to play those same games at home on a big screen with a dedicated home style controller (the Pro Controller) with friends is definitely a plus in my books but not as replacement for a dedicated home console like the XB1 and PS4 (I have gaming PC for that).

Last edited by Nemix77,
Reactions: DrkBeam

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do you know ? He has no proof. Wait until after Switch is release and see what 3rd Party is going to be. I don't need the rumours any longer. Its annoying and too much assumption around. I will sit back and wait until after Switch is release and 3rd party games list after. That's simple.
I only said this because many developers feel important about their sucks shit movie-game. And this is what i want to say: Who (REAL player) care about shitty movies who pretend to be games?

kumikochan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I only said this because many developers feel important about their sucks shit movie-game. And this is what i want to say: Who (REAL player) care about shitty movies who pretend to be games?
A lot of them seeing how much people game on pc, ps4, xbox and wii u sales were horrible. You people don't represent everybody and so doesn't gamers like myself do. And as soon everybody gets that the better it is

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently the people who bought a ps4/xbone and not the wii u, with both having a huge difference on term of sales and user base....

oh, about the thread... u-uhm... yeah, lol nintendo.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Apparently the people who bought a ps4/xbone and not the wii u, with both having a huge difference on term of sales and user base....

oh, about the thread... u-uhm... yeah, lol nintendo.
Only because the actual generations are under the consumerism. They only buy what actually looked cool and then bye-bye, play a bit and put their game on the dust. I see players now that get bored easly on a game after months saying "hype. on hype. on hype train. I' sooo hypeeee". So shallow...
And i see now no games or series being legendary as in the past. Self-explanatory.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Lots of people getting a little heated here, over something that's not too important in the grand scheme of things.

I think "fanboy" bias often makes these threads combative and that skews perspective. I've been playing video games at home since the Atari 2600 was a current gen console, and whilst I don't claim that makes me an unquestionable authority (age=/=wisdom), I have observed a few things over the years that are pertinent to this conversation.

On the Switch home console/hybrid/handheld question: This is a semantic argument and could roll on for pages with no resolution. You could hook a SEGA Nomad up to a TV and it played Geneis games, but it was definitely a handheld. PSP 2000/3000/Go also had TV out, and played PS1 games perfectly, but I never heard anyone call them hybrids (there's even an official dock for the PSPGo). maybe a hybrid console is actually a new thing, that does happen sometimes you know.

If we accept for a moment that the Switch is a handheld, does that mitigate its low (compared to generation rivals) performance specs? Well, the Vita is a powerhouse of a handheld (or does the existence of PSTV make it a hybrid?), that can produce some remarkable graphics, but that's not something I've heard talked about much, most conversations about the Vita revolve around how it's failing and has no good exclusive games (which is not true IMO, but off-topic).

This leads to my next point: So many threads on the temp are dominated by people chucking technical specifications around and using them as some way of divining the fortunes of a console, but history just doesn't support this theory, there are plenty of examples where a weaker console has emerged as the clear sales leader in a generation. For example:

PS2 massively outsold XBOX, Gamecube and of course, the poor old Dreamcast, but graphically it's the weakest of the group. When the first PS2 imports arrived in the shop I worked in back in 2000 we set one up playing Tekken Tag Tournament next to a Dreamcast playing Soul Calibur, same developer, same genre and not one customer who saw the two side by side thought the PS2 was the superior machine. Dreamcast and XBOX had visually stunning games while developers were stll trying to cure the "jaggies" on PS2. Nonetheless, PS2 absolutely owned that generation (and every other generation if you just count units sold).

If you put handhelds under the same magnifying glass: Game Gear, Lynx, NeoGeo Pocket were all considerably more graphically impressive than GameBoy, but most people know how that one played out.

Last night, after reading a thread on the subject of Metroid games elsewhere on GBATemp, I sat down to play Metroid: Other M, a game I'd ignored up until now because I had heard it wasn't such a great game , especially compared to the Prime trilogy. Well, the game is actually pretty fun, a little simplistic and easy compared to most Metroids, but enjoyable enough that I sat in front of it for four hours. Now I was playing this game in 480p resolution on my 40" TV, and not once did I find myself thinking "this game would be way more fun if the graphics were running at 60fps 1080p".

So, don't get hung up on power, that alone doesn't make or break a console. 3rd party support on the other hand is important, as is marketing and public perception of a console. I think Nintendo has taken some missteps with their Switch marketing thus far, and I maintain their pricing is borderline delusional.

Will the Switch's failure kill Nintendo? Not as long as Pokemon is a thing. That said, it might be the last "home" console they make if it doesn't do well. Sega had fails with the 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast and had to abandon hardware manufacture to stay in existence, which they've managed to do. Nintendo has a ton of valuable IP, they've already swallowed their pride and released on a non-Nintendo platform (Super Mario Run), I'm sure they have a contingency plan should the Switch "experiment" fail.

There was a huge tectonic shift though, in games development that happened the last few years, starting with the ps3 and xbox360. Most 3rd party studios before that gen would pick a side and develop only there. That gen onwards, studios decided to streamline development and this is exactly why Sony and MS made both consoles essentially a pc like configuration, means porting is a joke. There is a very good reason why there were so many exclusives back in the days of the Snes and Mega Drive. No way to port easily. Now the tooling has changed and studios want to invest as little money as they can to produce for the biggest number of platforms. So imagine being a software developer and having to choose a platform, then rationalise your choice with shareholders. Imagine there is a combined user base of how many millions all the Ps4s, Xbox ones and PCs are out there. Then imagine the Switch sales. Investment-wise speaking, developing for the Switch is suicidal, if devs have to go out of their way to make games run on it. For whatever reason that is.

Now, this does not need to kill creativity and new stuff (like the joycons etc) but Nintendo seems like they simply disregard EVERYTHING happening around them and thinking that banging that old drum will simply work. There has been monumental shifts in all kinds of development, i am a web developer myself and what i do now hardly represents a 15-20% of what i did 10 years ago, so why Nintendo would not adapt to suite EVERYONE and not just a really really loyal and hardline fanbase. Not to mention they keep losing fans too, this time around.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only because the actual generations are under the consumerism. They only buy what actually looked cool and then bye-bye, play a bit and put their game on the dust. I see players now that get bored easly on a game after months saying "hype. on hype. on hype train. I' sooo hypeeee". So shallow...
And i see now no games or series being legendary as in the past. Self-explanatory.
It happens with everything. Sadly, those two consoles still outsold the wii u and the wii u still managed to fail despite its first party support and fun games.

The problem with nintendo and the switch, is that they are still targeting the casual audience and you know, it will plays bad for them once again.

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3rd party support will come if the console sells well regardless of its power.

No doubt about that. The question will be "WHAT" kind of 3rd party support is going to come. If it is going to miss all the great 3rd party action and get Dance Dance and mobile Assassin's Creed games instead of the real thing, no thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It looked like garbage compared to PC and newer consoles, because of course it did. Switch is running Skyrim SE, which is more taxing graphically and has only come to XB1/PS4.

The bottom line is that Nintendo had us playing at less than 240p on 3DS XL and a lot of people were fine with that (it sold way more units than Wii U). Hard to complain now about 720p - 1080p, or in other words, a system that's more powerful than Wii U probably even as a portable.

True. However, hook the Switch to a 55" TV and then it is another story! For portable mode it is really good.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It happens with everything. Sadly, those two consoles still outsold the wii u and the wii u still managed to fail despite its first party support and fun games.

The problem with nintendo and the switch, is that they are still targeting the casual audience and you know, it will plays bad for them once again.
Its only question of time. This sort will run for either MS and Sony, sooner or later. Their movie-games aged fast and badly. No legendary, passionate games anymore = the videogames industries make every day one step to the failure. (i not view VR as videogames branch; it is another matter). For those fashion-follower players VR will take the place of gaming console, so gaming will die and welcome to Matrix...

Last edited by Lord M,

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
bitching about gfx
47798283.jpg

Apparently, some do... Just because something does not seem logical to you it does not mean its fruitless. Personally, if this was a mobile only i would be more than happy to accept the power/price ratio. However, i will only ever play docked on a huge TV, so i am looking at it as a really underpowered home console than a powerful mobile one. To each his own!

Got myself a Wii U near the end of 2016. I love the console. Good to hold, fun and and and.
Pre-Ordered a Switch (Ohh noo he didn't) since i like the idea and the upcoming games.
Doesn't care much about bigger game ports. I would more like a open indie dev base.

Oh, and is it just me, or mostly all 1080p 4k 60fps anti... no one cares are people who doesn't use much a pc to play games?
And 1 last think for named people who said it will fail because of missing 3rd Party support / can't handle the needed POOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEER
http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/I_can_see_my_house_from_here_.jpg
https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/m...dForSpeedMostWantedU_03_mediaplayer_large.jpg
and Watch Dogs.. and and and...
If they want port it, they can.~

That's what some of us are saying. That they will not be able to port them. People seem to forget that porting a game is not only the work of a developer, shrinking the game down to a system. It is a BUSINESS decision first. Which is taken based on established market for each system and guess what? Most of the 3rd parties are inside the x86 Pc/Ps4/Xbox party and the Switch might not be invited. The WiiU was powerful enough for it's time, it is a shame it did not get more support! I love it too. It is the 3rd parties missing that killed it though.

Reactions: kumikochan

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wake up from your wet dreams...

The Switch is not a HOME console to compete with XB1 or PS4, it's first an foremost a handheld console and successor to the 3DS.

The gimmick this time is not 3D it is the SWITCH portion of the console which enables the handheld to be played on a big screen TV at home in native 1080p not upscaled and the joy-cons to used a home style controller (with smaller buttons that is).

At best the Switch will only be 2x more powerful than Wii U/PS3/X360 which is still 2x less powerful than a PS4/XB1 and where not even including the Pro or Scorpio, as a home console that's a disappointment but a as handheld it's kind of revelation.

The Switch can run without the dock ever needed but as a part of the gimmick for it's release the dock is forced upon all early adopters, I highly suspect by 2018 Nintendo will be selling dockless version of the Switch with more colors for a reduced price to attract 3DS owners looking to upgrade and younger kids.

It's still not all bad if you look at it this way, any game that's ever came out on the Wii U/PS3/X360 can be ported over to the Switch without any compromise in resolution and framerate and can be played on the go anywhere and anything developed on the ground up for the Switch will definately look better than any PS3/X360/Wii U game ever released.

I'm buying the Switch first as a handheld and from what is offered it's has met and exceeded my expectations on that aspect, now for being able to play those same games at home on a big screen with a dedicated home style controller (the Pro Controller) with friends is definitely a plus in my books but not as replacement for a dedicated home console like the XB1 and PS4 (I have gaming PC for that).

"First and foremost a handheld console..."
Sorry but that's not what the game catalogue looks like. It can be as portable as you wish, if people only see home console games on it they won't think of it as a handheld. And me neither to be fair.
If Nintendo releases a traditional handheld game on it like Pokémon (or MH) that would change, but for now it looks like a home console with some portability.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
real gamers don't give a shit about gfx only gfx whores do. all that matters is GAMEPLAY :P
Well, as long as the GFX are good enough to understand what is happening.
I know we all love Rogue, and it is quite good actually, but still...
Anyway, good artistic direction is way more important than raw gfx capabilities.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whaaat no Titanfall 2 on the Switch? Dang I'll never buy a Switch now. Seriously this is a really odd thing to extrapolate. So the creator of a AAA title for home console and PC says his game won't fit on the new Nintendo console and people take that the wrong way. Great.

Reactions: chartube12

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Apparently, some do... Just because something does not seem logical to you it does not mean its fruitless. Personally, if this was a mobile only i would be more than happy to accept the power/price ratio. However, i will only ever play docked on a huge TV, so i am looking at it as a really underpowered home console than a powerful mobile one. To each his own!

That's what some of us are saying. That they will not be able to port them. People seem to forget that porting a game is not only the work of a developer, shrinking the game down to a system. It is a BUSINESS decision first. Which is taken based on established market for each system and guess what? Most of the 3rd parties are inside the x86 Pc/Ps4/Xbox party and the Switch might not be invited. The WiiU was powerful enough for it's time, it is a shame it did not get more support! I love it too. It is the 3rd parties missing that killed it though.
This is my main concern, even if the switch is a little less powerful than the Xbox one some third party will ignore the console just because it would mean more work, but at least if it is seem as a powerful handheld the things would change, This is one of the main problems of the switch it is competing with the ps4 and Xbox one for their hybrid nature on the eyes of the people.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The screenshot comparison of Dragon Quest on PS4 Vs. Switch makes it very evident that the Switch is inferior to PS4/XO in terms of graphical capability. The Switch, it's a step-up from the Switch but still behind the 8th gen consoles graphical power.

Reactions: DrkBeam

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The screenshot comparison of Dragon Quest on PS4 Vs. Switch makes it very evident that the Switch is inferior to PS4/XO in terms of graphical capability. The Switch, it's a step-up from the Switch but still behind the 8th gen consoles graphical power.
Recursive call stack overflow. /s

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Just got done about watching the video and for a first timer, it was pretty interesting, the guy in the middle (Mohammed Alivi?) was for sure the life of that party. His laughs were so contagious and very stylish hair too.

The comment section.. lol. Nintendo fanboys weren't happy about his comments so they went on about how Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Zelda are such great sellers. Yeah, no wonder. There's like no competition to those games on Nintendo systems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Genetics
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Ive done that a lot. Hot compresses.
    It does provide temp relief but comes back right away.
    A simple surgery might be able to correct it for both of you
    +1
    The source of this information for me is Dr House. Some of the stories where based on actual cases
    +1
    One episode helped me save a life one time
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    House M.D. is great.
    Sad for the pain. I hope it gets better somehow. @RedColoredStars
    +2
    Yes. Thats what Ive read. Surgery is most likely required. I sent a message to the ENT center with my concerns and asked if I should be seen much sooner and not wait, since it will be 71 days since symptoms started until my appointment.
    +1
    Guy came in his lips where turning blue, I knew he was having a heart attack and I raced him to the ER they saved him
    +2
    Without House I wouldn't have recognized the symptoms
    +1
    Blue like this?
    rk4URjod_ZYte_1024.webp
    House was fantastic show from the episodes I've seen. Maybe I should watch the entire series.
    +3
    @HiradeGirl, almost, definitely a noticeable difference than normal color
    Are your lips blue like that Hirada?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, The theme for House M.D. reminds me of when Computer Clan used this as their intro music.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I miss the old days.
    Me too. When I was young and not all fucking broken.
    +1
    @RedColoredStars Maybe I'm having a stroke. Sorry gtg, will update later.
    +1
    Getting older really sucks if you have health problems. I was a preemie and have had health issues off and on my entire life. But its gotten much worse since I hit 40. That was 12 years ago.
    Probably wont live to see 70.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, Okay, see you soon.
    I hear mouth to mouth can help with a stroke. Anyone there to breath some life into you? lol
    +1
    I could help, but there are two things. 1) I don't know if you're actually a girl 2) You're younger than my daughter. :rofl:
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I could help, but there are two things. 1) I don't know if you're actually a girl 2) You're...