Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When should I use sysMMC vs emuMMC? Am I safe to stay in sysMMC if I'm not running game hacks or save editors?
  • Keep Sysnand 100% clean and use it for games you paid for and to play Online (connecting to Nintendo.)
  • Use Emunand for “backups” cheats and offline play. Never let it connect to Nintendo.

Last edited by binkinator,

pokota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh good i see i'm not the only one who calls it nand.

so does that mean that if I'm only using hekate to run homebrew apps/demoscenes, I'm fine to stay in sysnand? or should I just keep the homebrew on emunand for safety's sake? I'm not installing anything to the home menu if that makes a difference.

NorthWestWind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
How should I update my OFW?
I finally hacked an old switch last night and set up Hekate on it following the switch.homebrew.guide. Now I see its OFW version is on v7.0.0. My 3 questions are:

1) Should I really update the OFW? I think I will lose some software exploits, but does that matter?
2) Which method should I use to update? Nintendo servers or Daybreak?
3) If I update using Nintendo servers, which one should I boot into for updating? Stock, CFW (sysMMC) or CFW (emuMMC)?

Note for Q2: I ran Haku33 to hard reset my switch after setting up Hekate and Atmosphere.

Thanks in advance for helping.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all im new to all this so please bear with..

i have a switch v1 it had sx os installed i had not used it for around a year ish and decided the other day to use it
i switched it on all was fine then i decided to look into removing sx os
so i decided to start deleting stuff being honest i had no idea what i was deleting
now after much trying including an online chat discord with a very helpful guy i still cannot get it running again

anyone have any idea's how to get the switch back up and running either with chip or without im not bothered either way

thanks all
Start here:

https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

There is a section for going from SXOS to Atmosphere but you should start reading from the top to refamiliarize yourself with everything since it’s been a while.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How should I update my OFW?
I finally hacked an old switch last night and set up Hekate on it following the switch.homebrew.guide. Now I see its OFW version is on v7.0.0. My 3 questions are:

1) Should I really update the OFW? I think I will lose some software exploits, but does that matter?
OFW runs on Sysnand. It’s completely separate from the Emunand copy. They don’t impact each other in any way. 7.x isn’t rare enough to have that great a meaning. I mean it[s possible but a whole lot less likely that < 4.x and who even knows the time frame (could still be never.) If you want to play Online, do so only with OFW or CFW on Sysnand.
2) Which method should I use to update? Nintendo servers or Daybreak?
No need to do any tricks. Just update your OFW with Ninty official servers.
3) If I update using Nintendo servers, which one should I boot into for updating? Stock, CFW (sysMMC) or CFW (emuMMC)?
CFW(sysMMC) or just OFW will do just fine. They both use Sysnand.
Note for Q2: I ran Haku33 to hard reset my switch after setting up Hekate and Atmosphere.
interesting…not sure why, prolly missing something but OK.
Thanks in advance for helping.
You bet!

Reactions: haipro287

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hi, today I tried to reboot my chipped mariko (with hwfly v3) from cfw to ofw, the mod chip started blink cyan (may be blue or white idk exactly) rapidly and it cannot boot into hekate anymore. Is my mod chip defective? I tried uninstall the mod chip and my mariko booted into ofw normally. Any advice? Sorry for my bad english.
update: I dropped the switch bag from 1meter height few days ago.

View attachment 321484
anyone can help me? please :((

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh good i see i'm not the only one who calls it nand.
Yes, Sysnand=MMC and Emunand=emuMMC
so does that mean that if I'm only using hekate to run homebrew apps/demoscenes, I'm fine to stay in sysnand? or should I just keep the homebrew on emunand for safety's sake? I'm not installing anything to the home menu if that makes a difference.
So, Hekate is a bootloader that can (among other things) boot CFWs (like Atmosphere.) Atmosphere allows the running of homebrew. Running Atmosphere and Homebrew are not bam worthy however if you’re new to the scene I would recommend following these simple rules to avoid getting into trouble. (Once you know when to bend the rules you can accept responsibility and deviate as you see fit.)

if you abide by the golden rules of switch hacking you will be fine:
  • No xci/nsp or cheating on Sysnand.
  • Never go online with Emunand.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, today I tried to reboot my chipped mariko (with hwfly v3) from cfw to ofw, the mod chip started blink cyan (may be blue or white idk exactly) rapidly and it cannot boot into hekate anymore. Is my mod chip defective? I tried uninstall the mod chip and my mariko booted into ofw normally. Any advice? Sorry for my bad english.
update: I dropped the switch bag from 1meter height few days ago.

View attachment 321484

The fact that your switch boots to OFW is a good sign.

I’m on mobile so I haven’t looked at your video, but cyan blinking denotes a defective chip. Hopefully it just cracked a solder joint somewhere. You’ll have to go over each joint and visually inspect them and hopefully you can find something that’s come unseated or cracked and solder it back. You might try to flash it to see if you can bring it back to life. If you can‘t find the issue with those steps you’ll need to take it in to a local shop for repair. Nuclear option is to just buy a new chip…the prices are coming down some so thats good.

theultikirby

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably should have specified. My Day 1 has the latest versions of the Switch firmware, Hekate and Atmosphere. The problems I described are what was happening. Splatoon 2 boots. It just will not want to load the Octo Expansion.

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

I’m on mobile so I haven’t looked at your video, but cyan blinking denotes a defective chip. Hopefully it just cracked a solder joint somewhere. You’ll have to go over each joint and visually inspect them and hopefully you can find something that’s come unseated or cracked and solder it back. You might try to flash it to see if you can bring it back to life. If you can‘t find the issue with those steps you’ll need to take it in to a local shop for repair. Nuclear option is to just buy a new chip…the prices are coming down some so thats good.
Thanks for your advice. idk exactly what the color is but it doesn't look like any described in hwfly github page. my mod chip is v3 so I don't think it can't be re-flashed. I will try to find cracked solder joint and re-solder it back :( buying a new chip is not a good option because of China's Zero-COVID policy impacted shipping services.

haipro287

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Does it have any chances that SxT chip has been damaged internally?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your advice. idk exactly what the color is but it doesn't look like any described in hwfly github page.
Your interpretation is the best visual as se ent we’ve got. If it’s close…it’s likely correct.
my mod chip is v3 so I don't think it can't be re-flashed.
you don’t have much to lose, honestly.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-flash-the-hwfly-clone-chips.606008/
I will try to find cracked solder joint and re-solder it back :( buying a new chip is not a good option because of China's Zero-COVID policy impacted shipping services.
I’ve seen vary little impact on any of my shipments from China. Average wait times have been about 14 days. We’ll see if that remains true during the Taiwan concerns. I don’t see anyone wanting to curtail trade though. We’ll see.
Does it have any chances that SxT chip has been damaged internally?
Everything is on the table at the moment. Until you start eliminating things…it could be anything. This is why I brought up the new chip. You have to consider the cost of your time and at some point it will become less expensive to simply replace the chip.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I disable Auto NoGC? I want to play using game cards.
Sure you can. There are two place to do so. One in the /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini file (you can read about the options here ) and another one in the /atmosphere/config/system_settings.ini file (there is a template in the /atmosphere/config_templates/ directory that you can copy over.)

The only issue is that the game card has its own fuses and you can’t downgrade once you upgrade.

At the end of the day it’s almost easier to just leave the GC disabled and create (or find) backups of that title that you can install and not have to worry about it ever again…

NorthWestWind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
At the end of the day it’s almost easier to just leave the GC disabled and create (or find) backups of that title that you can install and not have to worry about it ever again.
How do I create a backup of the title? Also will installing it get me banned?

Btw, I ended up updating the system with Daybreak from 7.0.0 to 14.1.x (forgot). I don't think the reader is updated in this situation? Will enabling GC burn its fuse?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I create a backup of the title? Also will installing it get me banned?

Btw, I ended up updating the system with Daybreak from 7.0.0 to 14.1.x (forgot). I don't think the reader is updated in this situation? Will enabling GC burn its fuse?
Backups (even your own backups) will get you banned only if you allow your Emunand to connect to Ninty.

Standard warnings:

• Do not go Online with your Emunand once it is dirty (with backups or cheats) or you will be banned.
  • Do not install nsp/xci files or cheat Online with your Sysnand or you will be banned.
  • You must have exosphere.ini and dns:mitm configured to prevent accidents.

Now that that‘s out of the way…

You can use a tool like NXDumptool to dump and installed game or a physical GC.

https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/switchdumpguide/

Here’s more information on Lotus3 (the game card ASIC)

These are the FW versions with a one-way ratchet that prevents you from using the game card with lower version.
[4.0.0+] This firmware blob was updated to provide support for new Gamecards.

[9.0.0+] This firmware blob was updated.

[11.0.0+] This firmware blob was updated.

[12.0.0+] This firmware blob was updated.

[14.0.0+] This firmware blob was updated.

Going from 7.x to 14.x brings you all the way up to date.

Last edited by binkinator,

RONINN

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello, is it possible to run LineageOs on Switch V2 / SX Core.3.10 ? [Firmware stock 13]. Please answer and give me a hint.

The_E_Word

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey, i wanted to play 3ds games on my switch, i have retroarch but everytime i try to put the ultramoon rom on my sd card it says that the file is too large for the destination file system... i know its because u cant put files on a fat 32 sd card bigger than 4gb but how would i put in on the sd card then? thanks in advance <3

The_E_Word

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey, i wanted to play 3ds games on my switch, i have retroarch but everytime i try to put the ultramoon rom on my sd card it says that the file is too large for the destination file system... i know its because u cant put files on a fat 32 sd card bigger than 4gb but how would i put in on the sd card then? thanks in advance <3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...