Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this has probably been asked a million times already, but I was looking for a clear-cut simple answer...

I'm aware that the option to play homebrew games is available, and that most people out there try and keep a CFW and an OFW so that they can mess around, cheat, and run homebrew on the CFW, whilst keeping the OFW "pure" so that they can use the OFW to play legit cartridges online, but how easy is that to achieve? Is it simply a case of not "booting" into the CFW if I want to play online with a friend? Or do I need to do something more to make sure that any modifications aren't detected when I want to play legitimately online?

Basically I want to be able to play homebrew games offline on CFW but then go and play Mario Kart with friends using a legit cart whenever I feel like it, without risking getting banned.

Many thanks!
Its not about keeping CFW and OFW separate; those are just different ways of booting your console. The goal is to not connect online after using any CFW/homebrew. Normally, the only way to enjoy both CFW and not being banned is by getting a second console so all of the hacking is done on one while online is used with the other. But with emuMMC, you can simulate having a second console without the hardware. Basically, its a copy of your console's system files that can be run from the SD card. Once emuMMC is setup, you dedicate CFW & homebrew to either emuMMC or your console AKA sysMMC and stay offline with that one while the opposite one you chose will go online but avoid any CFW/homebrew usage. The relative "ease" of this is how likely are you to accidentally run CFW/homebrew on the one that you go online with. That is unless you rush a lot or are prone to making mistakes, the chances of failure are extremely low.
*How can I backup my Pokemon Diamond Game Cartridge to then install it on CFW so I dont need it in the system when I would like to play the game. I am running Atmosphere but am very new to the scene. If someone could walk me through this process I would be willing to compensate via paypal, ect. Thanks
Well if you're already running Atmosphere, you can use the homebrew application Gamecard Installer NX to install the game straight from the cartridge. And in case you don't have them already, you will also need special patches in order to launch the game once installed that way which you can find here.

Reactions: vamorex3000

metalpsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
hello! my emummc is disabled as my switch is already banned. i wanted to make sysmmc backup but hekate doesn't allow it and only made emmc backup which was 4mb size, this file size seemed fishy so i think i couldn2t manage to create a backup. is there any way to make a back up of sysnand/sysmmc?

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this has probably been asked a million times already, but I was looking for a clear-cut simple answer...

I'm aware that the option to play homebrew games is available, and that most people out there try and keep a CFW and an OFW so that they can mess around, cheat, and run homebrew on the CFW, whilst keeping the OFW "pure" so that they can use the OFW to play legit cartridges online, but how easy is that to achieve? Is it simply a case of not "booting" into the CFW if I want to play online with a friend? Or do I need to do something more to make sure that any modifications aren't detected when I want to play legitimately online?

Basically I want to be able to play homebrew games offline on CFW but then go and play Mario Kart with friends using a legit cart whenever I feel like it, without risking getting banned.

Many thanks!
The emummc and the stock firmware are completely separate, so yes, it is sufficient to just choose "stock firmware" at boot to play online. Just be sure you never take your emummc online.

Reactions: vamorex3000

vamorex3000

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Its not about keeping CFW and OFW separate; those are just different ways of booting your console. The goal is to not connect online after using any CFW/homebrew. Normally, the only way to enjoy both CFW and not being banned is by getting a second console so all of the hacking is done on one while online is used with the other. But with emuMMC, you can simulate having a second console without the hardware. Basically, its a copy of your console's system files that can be run from the SD card. Once emuMMC is setup, you dedicate CFW & homebrew to either emuMMC or your console AKA sysMMC and stay offline with that one while the opposite one you chose will go online but avoid any CFW/homebrew usage. The relative "ease" of this is how likely are you to accidentally run CFW/homebrew on the one that you go online with. That is unless you rush a lot or are prone to making mistakes, the chances of failure are extremely low.
I assume by stay offline whilst in emuMMC you mean it's a case of physically going into settings on the switch and disabling internet connectivity? Or do both the emuMMC and SysMMC have there own settings? Or are the settings console-wide regardless of which MMC you boot into?

incinerated

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I have been using SX OS in the past, but I have now switched over to Atmosphere (latest), FW 12.1.0.
I am trying to run TLOZ: Skyward Sword HD (all DLC + latest update) on my switch. However, it always shows the "The software closed because an error occurred".

I am also playing other games on my switch, such as, Dying Light: Platinum Edition, TLOZ: BOTW, Dead Cells, Mario Kart 8, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, TLOZ: Link's Awakening etc and all of them are working perfectly. All these are also with all DLCs and the latest update included.

It appears as if I am just not able to play TLOZ: Skyward Sword HD. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Well since its the only game causing issues, I'd recommend trying to download the game from a different source.
SOLVED!!!!

After hours and hours of fidding with stuff, the same crash occurred with another game (while playing normally).
The solution was to disable auto-enabling of cheats in atmosphere system settings, followed from a useful post.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

TL;DR - Disable auto enabling of cheats before downloading the game again from another source.

Last edited by incinerated,
Reactions: Draxzelex

Ichigo-Bankai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have the same problem. I also get the error code 2168-0001. yet my content folder is empty. tried to delete the content folder but it still crashes and showing me the exact same eroor. its about program 0100000000000100D

Voltar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Nooby question but how do I access the Album in the Emunand? It opens the Homebrew stuff instead...

I take many screenshots and the like, how do I access those in my Emunand?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: BigOnYa

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello! my emummc is disabled as my switch is already banned. i wanted to make sysmmc backup but hekate doesn't allow it and only made emmc backup which was 4mb size, this file size seemed fishy so i think i couldn2t manage to create a backup. is there any way to make a back up of sysnand/sysmmc?
Do you have enough space on your SD card?
I assume by stay offline whilst in emuMMC you mean it's a case of physically going into settings on the switch and disabling internet connectivity? Or do both the emuMMC and SysMMC have there own settings? Or are the settings console-wide regardless of which MMC you boot into?
Both emuMMC and sysMMC have their own settings. emuMMC is just a copy of sysMMC that exists on your SD card so it's like having a second console but on your SD card.
Why when i open Lithium it tells me that i don't have enough memory and it closes automatically?
If you're launching it via the Album, then you're launching it as an Applet which doesn't have enough RAM to run Lithium. I run TinWoo Installer this way with no issues, fyi.
I have the same problem. I also get the error code 2168-0001. yet my content folder is empty. tried to delete the content folder but it still crashes and showing me the exact same eroor. its about program 0100000000000100D
That title ID actually refers to the Album. Are you trying to launch a homebrew application? If so, try holding R over a game to launch the homebrew menu with full RAM.

Reactions: metalpsi

metalpsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Do you have enough space on your SD card?
i was uneducated while making that post, i searched around a bit and made eMMC backup.

i still have few questions though,
1- since auto rcm corrupts a single byte to cause rcm automatically, does it matter if auto rcm is enabled or not when we are backing up boot00/001? is that single byte corrupted on backup as well? or does it matter
2- does the eMMC backup(raw gpp+boot) save sysnand/sysMMC corruption as well? since the name was eMMC i confused it with emuMMC in my previous post
3- is updating a banned switch(sysnand) via nintendo servers after updating atmos/sigpatches okay?

thanks in advance!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was uneducated while making that post, i searched around a bit and made eMMC backup.

i still have few questions though,
1- since auto rcm corrupts a single byte to cause rcm automatically, does it matter if auto rcm is enabled or not when we are backing up boot00/001? is that single byte corrupted on backup as well? or does it matter
2- does the eMMC backup(raw gpp+boot) save sysnand/sysMMC corruption as well? since the name was eMMC i confused it with emuMMC in my previous post
3- is updating a banned switch(sysnand) via nintendo servers after updating atmos/sigpatches okay?

thanks in advance!
  1. If you enable AutoRCM before the backup, the corrupted byte will be preserved on the backup so functionally AutoRCM will be stored in your backup as well. This isn't really an issue per se but just something you need to keep a mental note of otherwise you'll think your system is bricked when you restore your backup
  2. Any problems or corruptions in sysMMC will be preserved in an eMMC backup (sysMMC=eMMC)
  3. Since the console is already banned, updating online is fine. If you don't update in CFW though, you will burn fuses. If you don't mind burning fuses, then ignore my last statement

metalpsi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
  1. If you enable AutoRCM before the backup, the corrupted byte will be preserved on the backup so functionally AutoRCM will be stored in your backup as well. This isn't really an issue per se but just something you need to keep a mental note of otherwise you'll think your system is bricked when you restore your backup
  2. Any problems or corruptions in sysMMC will be preserved in an eMMC backup (sysMMC=eMMC)
  3. Since the console is already banned, updating online is fine. If you don't update in CFW though, you will burn fuses. If you don't mind burning fuses, then ignore my last statement
in 3, by "update in cfw" do you mean updating while on sysmmc cfw vs stock sysmmc? i was checking my switch and noticed how my burnt fusee count was 12 (supposed to be 13 i think, im on 13.1)

thank you so much for the answers! have a nice day!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in 3, by "update in cfw" do you mean updating while on sysmmc cfw vs stock sysmmc? i was checking my switch and noticed how my burnt fusee count was 12 (supposed to be 13 i think, im on 13.1)

thank you so much for the answers! have a nice day!
sysMMC CFW. Updating in Stock sysMMC or normally without RCM will burn fuses if you update online.

vamorex3000

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been reading through the guide linked in the OP, and it seems to suggest that both Fuse-gelee and Nereba are non-persistent hacks, that must be re-run every time you restart that console, am I reading that correctly? It was written in 2020 are there any newer mods out there that don't require having to be re-applied every time? If so which is my best bet if I want to run an emuMMC for homebrew whilst keeping the sysMMC untouched for online play?

robot098765

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello... I tried formatting my switch with cfw but its not working. Its still at 0% and its been about 15 minutes since I started it... I don't know if this is normal behaviour, and should I shut down the switch? it says I shouldn't.

I tried formatting the system on stock firmware, not on the cfw firmware btw.

Also if anyone knows if I format my console can I go online again. Cuz I don't really have a nand backup, or what else can I do so I can go back online. Thanks

Its been like 20 minutes... I think I will shut it down.

Last edited by robot098765,

microchipman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading through the guide linked in the OP, and it seems to suggest that both Fuse-gelee and Nereba are non-persistent hacks, that must be re-run every time you restart that console, am I reading that correctly? It was written in 2020 are there any newer mods out there that don't require having to be re-applied every time? If so which is my best bet if I want to run an emuMMC for homebrew whilst keeping the sysMMC untouched for online play?
No Matter what method you choose, you're going to have to RCM. So pick a modern guide, and apply sigpatches when done. You will have Hekate running on the SD card at this point, and a copy of your Sysmmc, which has now become your emuMMC. Once booted into emuMMC, you can function for days, weeks without a reboot. emuMMC since it is a copy of your sysmmc is very stable. You won't have to reboot for a long time, unless you let your batter go dead of course. If you're always on the go, you can get a dongle like RCMloader or the likes, and put a payload on it, to load hekate. It's been awhile, but I converted the hekate payload to a dat file to use with the now obsolete SXOS dongle (PS the dat file will live on the root of the defunct SXOS dongle):

https://sx-boot-dat-creator.herokuapp.com/

That dongle I believe is small battery or capacitor charge, so you can inject the payload while on the go.

Here is a Guide I put together. It's not all my work of course, it's a mix of the work from https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/ with me filling in the blanks:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/page-1417#post-9665272

Applying SigPatches:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/post-9678065

Last edited by microchipman,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gameboy Advanced SP emulator or GASP for short lol