SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. PlasticK

PlasticK Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2017
    Russia
    i finally bought the rcm plastic!
    i wanted to mod my switch a year ago already.

does somebody know which the safest and foolproof guide (with backups in case something goes wrong) for beginners is?
    i found some websites and videos, but i don't know if they are already obsolete and unsafe.

a link would be enough i guess

i bought my switch in 2017 its the mario odyssey model with 6.0.0 ofw. i have used it like 20 hours at max in these 2 years and own 10 games.

2. pofer

pofer GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere around the corner
    this is the guide I followed a week ago, pretty easy to follow https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/.

make sure you update the payload.bin on your RCM dongle as well

3. PlasticK

PlasticK Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2017
    Russia
    thank you so much pofer!
    i was think about this guide but will use yours! https://switch.homebrew.guide/gettingstarted/

is updating the payload.bin described in the guide you linked? do i have to do it before installing the custom firmware on the switch or after?
    i bought my rcm clip from a chinese ebay seller after my aliexpress order from january never arrived. thanks a lot.

4. PlasticK

PlasticK Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2017
    Russia
    i can't get the amtosphere cfw to launch no matter what. my switch is a rcm exploitable 2017 model and no matter if i injected "fusee primary" or "hekate ctacer 5.0.1" after the kosmos-atmosphere i always get a bootlogo and i have to hardreset my switch to the ofw.

my switch is not connected to wifi and i'm on 6.0.0. and i formated my 128gb samsung microsdxc to exfat.

what could be the solution?

5. Syph

Syph Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2018
    United States
    I've read that nes games can be added to nes online, is that still true? How would you access them if it's not recommended to go online with cfw?

6. TheGlow

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    Hey everyone, I finally decided to put my Switch online and try the PP shop. I did incognito in addition to local 90dns hosting. PP seems to be working fine but I noticed not all games are showing.
    I believe I recall hearing there are different locations to add, like demos, etc, and you can merge the hbg shop I think?
    Is hbg relevant anymore? I used to prefer downloading to my pc and then uploading but it was a horror to find updates. Base games is fine, but even then discord bot issues, some sites take a while, etc.
    I just want to have more options.

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Your fate lies in the hands of Nintendo.

While you can do that, I do not recommend it as it will prevent you from using any retail cartridges on emuNAND as well as downgrading to any lower firmware versions.

If you can only do it through Atmosphere, then that is how you will have to update.

https://switchgui.de/switch-guide/

Don't use Fake/DZ Tinfoil/

Format the SD card to FAT32. Since your SD card is larger than 32 GiB, you will need to use a third-party program. I recommend GUIFormat.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/nes-online-game-injector.519877/

HBG has never been relevant especially after what they did to the piracy scene. If you want games, I personally recommend WarezNX. Cannot provide links as it is a piracy Discord server.

PlasticK and ptrappo like this.
  8. ptrappo

ptrappo Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 10, 2019
    Australia
    Great thanks. Updated via atmosphere and now it opens in OFW just fine, phew! Now I guess I just have to wait for the next atmosphere & hekate updates.

Draxzelex likes this.
  9. LuigiXL

LuigiXL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 19, 2016
    Im looking into general emulation of other systems, considering a Vita but wondering what can a Switch emulate?

10. DrDoctor

DrDoctor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    My factory fw was 3.1.0 and I have a clean NAND backup of it.
    I already can't use retail carts on emuNAND because GC is enabled.
    How does having different fw between sys and emu prevent downgrading?

11. menixabic

menixabic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2019
    United States
    I have strange question. I have EmuNand on my sd card, and correctly setted all things, all working quite good. But I just noticed, that HOS show wrong amount of free space on my SD card, but in file explorers, it show correct ammount. So my question is what will happen to SD card, IF i try to format it in HOS. Should it delete all information including my EmuNand, or where is some kind of security to prevent this, and all card will be formatted expect EmuNand ? Or maybe where is other way to fix wrong free space in HOS ?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its an extensive list from what I remember so I can only list the ones I know off the top of my head such as GBA, DS, PS1, N64, and PSP.

It has nothing to do with emuMMC and sysMMC being on different firmware versions. If you update sysMMC to 9.0, you will not be able to boot it up without burning fuses hence not being able to downgrade.

LuigiXL likes this.
  13. stellarr

stellarr Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2015
    Not sure if anyone will know about this. But I have a 400GB card and yet it appears kind of small. Is there a way to clean unused/not necessary files or something? Like a cleaning homebrew out there or a way to just clean my card and get some memory back.

14. 2pado

2pado Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2010
    United States
  15. XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi GBAtemp Fan

Nov 24, 2013
    Denmark
    Hey guys

So I am about to update my switch to FW 9.0, but before I do, i'd like to confirm something. Is there any reason why I should STILL try to avoid burning my fuses, if my burned fuse count is already up to 9 (FW 8.0.1)? I guess I am asking if there is still ANY hope of a software exploit, and I think I know the answer, but would like to double check.

I've already failed this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/an-easy...ch-firmware-without-burning-any-fuses.511847/ twice, so I really don't see a point in trying a third time, unless there is still meaning in preserving my fuses.

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Don't even bother updating to firmware 9.0 has it breaks a lot more stuff even once CFW supports it namely homebrew applications. And ChoiDujour only supports up to firmware 6.1

17. willy101

willy101 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2006
    What’s the best way to backup save files?

18. menixabic

menixabic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2019
    United States
    This is what I mean 8937F1F3-9926-4FEA-B95C-74C177CE79A1. 7DE42640-CCB9-4C6A-9FB8-F40CC4EC24E1.
    When sad card get full, in hos in show 0 gb free, but in explorer it is 24, also on pc. So I clearly have 24 gb free. What I need to do, to clear it up? Maybe need to delete some folder/file ? I hope it possible! Because I do not want to install custom from scratch, have everything seated up.

19. XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi GBAtemp Fan

Nov 24, 2013
    Denmark
    Thanks man, but 9.0 breaking CFW is not a concern of mine at all right now. I just need to know if there is a point in trying to upgrade without burning fuses (chance of potential software exploit with my current FW ), or if the chance is so ridiculously low, that I might aswell just upgrade and burn fuses.

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That depends on what you consider low. The chance is not zero is all we can really say. Another way of looking at it is that there are no advantages burning fuses versus not burning fuses. You have all to gain with nothing to lose.