Gaming Surprisingly good GBA games

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc- I expected this to be a shitty game just released alongside the console versions to try to latch onto the big version's success. I was quite wrong. It's a great 2D platformer in the same style as the original Rayman back in 1995. I love the console versions too of course, but the GBA version has a charm entirely its own. It isn't really based so much on Rayman 3, it's more like a 2D version of Rayman 2 in terms of style. It's really really fun, and one of the best original 2D platformers i've played on GBA!

Sabre Wulf- for me, this game gets a bad rep for no good reason. I'll say right here and now, i've never played the original on whatever system it came out on. I have no nostalgia there, what i found was a fun colorful platformer with some nice creative levels and fun puzzle aspects. The world map could looks cleaner, but the levels themselves look pretty nice (besides the washed out colors seen in all Rareware GBA games). I loved this one, and don't get why it's disliked by so many...

Pinobee Wings of Adventure- This is another 2D platformer that reminds me a bit of Rayman or something. It was a launch title for the system and no one really paid it any heed. And those that did seem to crap on it. Well i'm honest and i find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable game, attractive looking as well. There was a sequel, Pinobee and Phoebee which was only released in Japan. I assume it to have similar gameplay, though i've not tried it yet. Still, good game, sadly unknown and pushed aside.

Shaman King Master of Spirits- if you want a Castlevania SOTN experience, this is like that a bit. Not much to say besides it's that kind of game. I found it very fun. There's a sequel which i've not played, i assume it's similar. Check them out.

Spyro Ice/Flame/Rhynoks- the first three Spyro games on GBA actually do a fair job replicating the PS1 classics' gameplay. Not as good of course, but they're still quite good on their own merits.

Spyro Eternal Night- easily the best version of this game. It was released on all consoles of the time, but the GBA version turns out to be the best by far. It's not like other Spyro's, but it's a rather lovely 2D platformer. And one of the final released GBA games worth having.

Sword of Mana- another game that gets a bad rep for no good reason. This is actually a remake of the very first Mana game from the original Gameboy, then titled Final Fantasy Adventure in the US. And a great remake too IMO. The story is far enhanced, and the graphics are gorgeous, in some ways superior to Secret of Mana on SNES. Music is great as well. Gameplay is like Secret of Mana. So what's the deal with the hate? Beats me. Mana games are clearly a dying breed and not really good anymore, but this one is. I love it.

Summon Night Swordcraft Story- This is a trilogy of action RPG's with gameplay similar to the Tales of series. All three have weapon building and dungeon exploration. I don't always like dungeon grinding, but these are all good. Plus they show you how the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia SHOULD have been done. The first two are in English, but sadly the third game is Japan only and has no translation that i'm aware of. Sad, considering they seem to get better with each game...

Shining Soul- This includes the first and second. They're basic but satisfying dungeon crawlers that remind me of the Mana games, action RPG's hack n slash. The second is superior, but they're both great fun. Underrated by a good amount.

Juka Monophonic Menace- Hard to describe this one, it's kind of an action adventure game of sorts. You mix potions from ingredients found from the environment and use them to beat monsters with. There's some dungeon crawling, puzzles, and action elements. Nice graphics and music too. It's an isometric view.

Scurge Hive- I'm not a fan of constant time limits, but this one is manageable thanks to plentiful restore points. You're a space girl infected with a parasite which is slowly poisoning her. There's a time limit which you need to keep an eye on while exploring levels and killing alien hostiles. It's basically an isometric 3d-ish Metroid. Not as fun, but satisfying and decent.

Star Wars Episode 3- This one surprised me, it's a solid movie game for one, and a beat em up no less. I don't always take to beat em ups unless totally spectacular, but this one got my attention. It follows the movie plot closely, so spoilers abound. You can play as either Obi Wan or Anakin, and both characters play differently, have different levels, and have different stories. Some nice lightsaber duels as well. Very impressive. There was a port of the game to DS for the DS' launch as well. It is slightly better, with a fully orchestral score from the films and some neat 3D flying stages. I'd choose the DS version over the GBA, but the GBA one is great too.

Lady Sia- a launch title for the system. It has some really nice graphics and a catchy soundtrack (even though it's low tech sound from early GBA days). It's a 2D action platformer. Great levels and a fun protagonist! There was a sequel planned but later canned, how sad...

Klonoa Empire of Dreams/Dream Champ Tournament- If you've played a Klonoa game, you know what to expect. A cat like creature can grab things with a magic grappling ring and toss them back (including enemies). Your basic 2D platformer very similar to Kirby. The GBA games replicate the gameplay of the PS1/PS2/Wii versions ever so nicely, great platformers!

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You list some very diverse titles, and I agree on some and others I'm not so sure.

Sabrewulf was colorful but something about the way the puzzles/style of the stages were done eventually if I recall right got somewhere between grating and boring, but to each their own.

Sword of Mana, now that while nice eye/ear candy was just bad, terrible really. If you never played the game it came from it would do a bit better as they hacked it up poorly, but even that aside the menu system was a real turd and got in the way of playing at times. I think they needed to keep the story more to one person instead of being all over the board as guy or girl, and left more time in the oven to cook up a better menuing system.

And while I do agree with Lady Sia, please warn people to keep in mind they didn't draw some stages very well. Certain areas, in particular those in the skies where there are platforms can be awful. They drew the ground in a way that it meshes into the background in varying places in the game so it at times ends up a trial by leap of faith to see if you're dead meat or not that first time through. That said, if that's all that stops you, you're missing out on a uniquely well done cool platforming title.

Reactions: yule80

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I truly liked Sword of Mana. This coming from someone who has played the original game on GB, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Legend of Mana, Children of Mana (which IS pretty boring), and even Heroes of Mana (which is garbage). I thought all the improvements made to the GBA remake improved the experience. My favorite in the series is Seiken Densetsu 3, but i'd put Sword of Mana third on the list. I really liked it and don't get what's bad about it. The menu system was designed after the SNES games, so i don't really see what's bad about it...

Never had any platforming issues in Lady Sia. It does have some weird inconsistent art though, some looks a bit too rough like they rushed it.

As for Sabre Wulf, i thoroughly enjoyed the puzzle and platforming elements. Really felt like a unique experience to me. But as i said, never played the original game. My only complaint about Sabre Wulf is that it suffers from Rare's beginning fall from grace. Much of the graphics look like really half assed 3D renders. I don't know how they made the SNES DKC games look so amazing and yet their GBA graphics looked so rough and unappealing. Shame the game wasn't released in their heyday. I think it would have fit really nice on SNES, even had some kickass music to boot. As it is, the game is quite fun. The graphics and sound just needed some polish.

The GBA ports of the DKC trilogy suffered from the same problems. But the annoying thing there is we had a basis for complain- the SNES versions. So we all compared them to the SNES games, which looked and sounded 20x better. Sabre Wulf was an original title (well the game was, i know it wasn't the first Sabre Wulf), so we had no old version to compare it to. Had it been made on SNES, i think it would have been considered a classic and looked 20x better. I really blame Rare and their downfall at the time.

Reactions: yule80

Logan 5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you think the first attempt at Harry Potter on GBA was bad take a look at the first attempt at Lord of The Rings on GBA! That being said I really enjoyed both of those games anyway. Now onto suprising games, first thought: Lady Sia average looking platformer turns out to be great, second thought: Tony Hawk series, bought a copy for next to nothing when the GBA was still in it's heyday and now I wonder why it was the cheapest game there? I don't remember which one it was eventually I played most of it not the whole series.

xguyx said:
I got Star Wars: the Clone Wars on gba and I thought it would suck. It was a formula platformer, but instead it was great. I don't know why, it had no characteristics of a good game, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah, that game doesn't exist. Do you know the actual title of the Star Wars GBA game you are thinking of? I think it may be Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force from how you describe it.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why I missed the post before, but I do entirely agree with the fact that Konami Krazy Racers is in fact better than Mario Kart on GBA. Mario Kart is pretty good, but the Konami game has I think some better courses and handles nicer too, also hidden characters.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
astro boy on the gba, the ds version is rubbish in my opinion but the gba version has great gameplay and is very addictive aswell as actually having better graphics than the ds version. So yeah don't play the DS one but check out the gba one for definite.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As someone who bought both HP1 games, one for GBA and one for GBC, i was awesomely surprised when i found out the GBC was an RPG. Loved it, and made me buy HP2 for GBC aswell.

Man was i sad when i found out the GBA version was nothing like it.

Is the HP3 game for GBA like the first 2 games on the GBC?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn