Hardware GBA cart slot connector has internal corrosion. How serious of an issue is this?

actualkoifish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a GBA which I am cleaning up. I have found a decent amount of corrosion on the inner portion of the cartridge slot. The connector works, as it loads games with no issue, but I am concerned about long-term stability. The solder connections don't look bad to me. There is a lot of corrosion and a general tarnished look to the plating, however, and there is some exposed copper as well. Picture for reference (note that some of this exposure is only visible because of my cleaning process, which I admit may have been done in haste and poor judgment):

gba corrosion.jpg

I don't have the means or the will to try and re-plate the connector, and I am hesitant to try soldering on a new connector. If I just leave it as is, am I likely to have problems? Is there something I can do that would at least prevent any further corrosion? Maybe clean most of it off and then (carefully) apply conformal coating? Looking for any advice. Thanks all.

Uevon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you solved this problem? If not, then I would recommend soaking a microfiber cloth in some Distilled White Vinegar and scrubbing the pins as much as you can. Or you try using a toothbrush with vinegar (make sure to leave the system is completely dry before you turn it on again). This should get off all the yuck. Make sure to remove all the residue as well, with another microfiber cloth soaked in alchohol (I don't recommend using cotton swabs, paper towels or tissues, but you probably already thought of that :)).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Soldering a new one on is easy... As long as you can solder through-hole stuff. Getting the connector off is a bitch tho. I just cut the plastic away first, and then cut all the pins off using flush cutters, and then manually desolder each cut pin out of the holes, then clean the pads up with copper braid, Q-tip them with 91% alcohol, prep them with flux, and solder the new one on one pin at a time.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a GBA which I am cleaning up. I have found a decent amount of corrosion on the inner portion of the cartridge slot. The connector works, as it loads games with no issue, but I am concerned about long-term stability. The solder connections don't look bad to me. There is a lot of corrosion and a general tarnished look to the plating, however, and there is some exposed copper as well. Picture for reference (note that some of this exposure is only visible because of my cleaning process, which I admit may have been done in haste and poor judgment):

View attachment 381145

I don't have the means or the will to try and re-plate the connector, and I am hesitant to try soldering on a new connector. If I just leave it as is, am I likely to have problems? Is there something I can do that would at least prevent any further corrosion? Maybe clean most of it off and then (carefully) apply conformal coating? Looking for any advice. Thanks all.
Nothing a fiberglass brush can't solve. It's really good at getting rid of thick corrosion IPA and contact cleaners can't get rid of.

captain_obvious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there something I can do that would at least prevent any further corrosion?
Store it in an airtight container with moisture and oxygen absorbers. Tropical climates just aren't good for electronics.
Have you solved this problem? If not, then I would recommend soaking a microfiber cloth in some Distilled White Vinegar and scrubbing the pins as much as you can. Or you try using a toothbrush with vinegar (make sure to leave the system is completely dry before you turn it on again). This should get off all the yuck. Make sure to remove all the residue as well, with another microfiber cloth soaked in alchohol (I don't recommend using cotton swabs, paper towels or tissues, but you probably already thought of that :)).
I'm not sure whether vinegar works or not but if using this approach remember to rinse the metal by going over it with something soaked in water or alcohol afterwards. Using vinegar will leave an acidic residue on the metal causing further corrosion.
What exactly is the corrosion, rust?
Probably.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.