Hacking Super Smash Bros. Wii U Dumping Guide

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am consistently having the same issue as stated above. The dumping process freezes and the WiiU stops spinning the disk while trying to dump the dt00 file. It keeps getting to about 350,000kb before stopping. Restarting the process makes no difference. Sometimes it gets a little further, sometimes it doesn't get as far. I don't understand how this process can work flawlessly for some and not for others even when everyone is using the same firmware versions.

I have Windows 10 and my firewall is completely disabled. I'm not running out of harddrive space or RAM. I have several hundred GB of HD space free and I'm the dumping process isn't even using a GB of RAM (out of 6 free GB not being used by the OS).

I've searched for a bit and have found countless instances of others having this issue, typically with dt00 but sometimes with dt01 as well and there is never a solution. I assume this means no one knows why this happens and everyone with a WiiU that won't allow the dumping is just out of luck for now.

All I'm interested in is creating my own textures for characters and stages for now. Is there an up to date way to achieve this without having to create a dump? With Brawl this was very easy and only required character files rather than the entire game, but from what I've seen with Smash 4 the only editor for editing textures requires the core game files (ls, dt00, and dt01) for some reason.

Somebody Whoisbored

it's all okeydokey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am consistently having the same issue as stated above. The dumping process freezes and the WiiU stops spinning the disk while trying to dump the dt00 file. It keeps getting to about 350,000kb before stopping. Restarting the process makes no difference. Sometimes it gets a little further, sometimes it doesn't get as far. I don't understand how this process can work flawlessly for some and not for others even when everyone is using the same firmware versions.

I have Windows 10 and my firewall is completely disabled. I'm not running out of harddrive space or RAM. I have several hundred GB of HD space free and I'm the dumping process isn't even using a GB of RAM (out of 6 free GB not being used by the OS).

I've searched for a bit and have found countless instances of others having this issue, typically with dt00 but sometimes with dt01 as well and there is never a solution. I assume this means no one knows why this happens and everyone with a WiiU that won't allow the dumping is just out of luck for now.

All I'm interested in is creating my own textures for characters and stages for now. Is there an up to date way to achieve this without having to create a dump? With Brawl this was very easy and only required character files rather than the entire game, but from what I've seen with Smash 4 the only editor for editing textures requires the core game files (ls, dt00, and dt01) for some reason.
I did not know that the disc stopped spinning. Perhaps it's not titledumper.exe freezing, but actually the Wii U stops reading the disc? Would there be a solution to this other than restarting the process? And I do believe that need a significant portion of the game in order to do mods. You could speed up the process by using tools that can get specific files from disc, as DDD cannot do this. Perhaps the reader will shut off it it works for too long?

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It runs for about than 5 minutes before getting to the dt00 and then freezing and stopping the disk.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait until the modding scene develops a bit more. I can still load up other peoples mods but it's just annoying not being able make them myself.

Rockstones576

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It runs for about than 5 minutes before getting to the dt00 and then freezing and stopping the disk.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait until the modding scene develops a bit more. I can still load up other peoples mods but it's just annoying not being able make them myself.
If you find a solution, please inform me ASAP as I am also wanting to mod SSB4 so bad, I have had 6 weeks holiday and I have still not found ANYTHING.

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you find a solution, please inform me ASAP as I am also wanting to mod SSB4 so bad, I have had 6 weeks holiday and I have still not found ANYTHING.
Of course.

I've spent about 8 hours trying to find something but so far no dice. I'd like to know the specifics of your WiiU. I assume you're on 5.5.1, but what model do you have? The Basic is white and has 8GB internal storage, while the Deluxe is black and has 32GB storage. Also do you have a physical copy of Smash 4, or a digital copy?

Rockstones576

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Of course.

I've spent about 8 hours trying to find something but so far no dice. I'd like to know the specifics of your WiiU. I assume you're on 5.5.1, but what model do you have? The Basic is white and has 8GB internal storage, while the Deluxe is black and has 32GB storage. Also do you have a physical copy of Smash 4, or a digital copy?
I do have the Black Wii U, and a physical copy of Smash 4

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the same as you and I was able to dump it first try. Perhaps try having a faster connection from the Wii U, like Ethernet or something? Faster speed means less time?

Considering that the predicted time for the dump to complete is anywhere from 1 to 24 hours I doubt that time is really an issue, but I won't rule anything out. Most modern routers should be able to handle at least 100mbps on the wifi and 1000mbps ethernet. A LAN adapter for the WiiU could speed things up a bit (but not too much because I doubt that the disk read speed is high enough to even cap out a wifi connection)

So, we have 3 variables which should be taken into consideration so far: WiiU model, game copy, and Ethernet/WIFI. That's 8 different combinations of setups. Does dumping any other game work? Try some other games. If they dump without freezing then that would suggest that the problem is unique to Smash bros and not any of the other variables.

Rockstones576

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Considering that the predicted time for the dump to complete is anywhere from 1 to 24 hours I doubt that time is really an issue, but I won't rule anything out. Most modern routers should be able to handle at least 100mbps on the wifi and 1000mbps ethernet. A LAN adapter for the WiiU could speed things up a bit (but not too much because I doubt that the disk read speed is high enough to even cap out a wifi connection)

So, we have 3 variables which should be taken into consideration so far: WiiU model, game copy, and Ethernet/WIFI. That's 8 different combinations of setups. Does dumping any other game work? Try some other games. If they dump without freezing then that would suggest that the problem is unique to Smash bros and not any of the other variables.
One thing Im going to do right now is to go onto YouTube and follow a UWizard tutorial step by step. I will let you know how it went.

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UWizard is not for dumping. It only downloads patches that you can then add to a dump. DDD seems to be the only way to get the dt00, dt01, and ls files.

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see, are these dt and is files able to be downloaded online or are all of them unique to your system?
They are the same for everyone as they are just the main files from the game. You should not trust getting them online. It's unlikely that someone would actually upload them publicly as it is illegal. I'm not sure where the line is drawn though because it's really easy to get Wii game ISOs.

EDIT: By the way Super Mario Maker dumped without any issues, so whatever is going wrong is a Smash specific problem. Whether that is the fault of the game, the hardware, or the software I still haven't figured out. I'm going to try dumping on another PC now.

EDIT 2: Using a different PC made no difference. The dump still froze at roughly 350,000kb while dumping dt00. This is almost certainly an issue with DDD. Something is causing it to crash while reading that specific file. I don't think titledumper.exe has anything to do with it since doesn't have hardware access to spin the disk. The reason it would be inconsistent from console to console still puzzles me so I'll be looking through the source code for a bit.

Last edited by TheLordofMelons,

Rockstones576

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
They are the same for everyone as they are just the main files from the game. You should not trust getting them online. It's unlikely that someone would actually upload them publicly as it is illegal. I'm not sure where the line is drawn though because it's really easy to get Wii game ISOs.

EDIT: By the way Super Mario Maker dumped without any issues, so whatever is going wrong is a Smash specific problem. Whether that is the fault of the game, the hardware, or the software I still haven't figured out. I'm going to try dumping on another PC now.

EDIT 2: Using a different PC made no difference. The dump still froze at roughly 350,000kb while dumping dt00. This is almost certainly an issue with DDD. Something is causing it to crash while reading that specific file. I don't think titledumper.exe has anything to do with it since doesn't have hardware access to spin the disk. The reason it would be inconsistent from console to console still puzzles me so I'll be looking through the source code for a bit.
I found a link for both dt00 and dt01, Can you please tell me how the files should look on the SD Card before I put it on?

TheLordofMelons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found a link for both dt00 and dt01, Can you please tell me how the files should look on the SD Card before I put it on?

That depends on what you're trying to do. The dt00 and dt01 do not go on your SD card however. They are required (along with the rest of the dump) to create mods using Smash Explorer.

how much time is a dump of super smash bros ?

The process can take anywhere from an hour to a day. It just depends on how fast your router is and how fast your PC's network adapter is. The file is 13.6GB, so however long it would take you to download that much information would be the maximum time it should take (It's going to be much faster than your standard download speed though since it's LAN)

yaystrawberrypie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TheLordofMelons It looks like you and me are on the same boat when it comes to this. I'm STILL having the same exact problem as you and I've tried doing this, since my last post, 10+ times with the same results. Most of those times I even deleted the dt00 file. I hope that the hombrew scene will have a solution to this soon...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: