Hacking Super Mario Galaxy Choppy cutscene fix?

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I'm pretty new to the wii hack scene (stuck mostly to PSP and DS), so bear with me. I used Dogegg's tutorial to softmod (as found on Wiihacks.com), and haven't changed any of that initial software. When I load up Super Mario Galaxy with Neogamma R6, it works just fine until you hit a cutscene, at which point the audio gets a bit choppy and the video slows done (I've played an official disc and this of course doesn't happen). Can anyone explain what's going or provide a possible fix? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper: I have rev 14.

WiiPower: I burned at 4x with imgBurn as others have suggested.

So this isn't a normal issue I guess then? Any suggestions? It seems to happen with Punch Out! too. It only affects real cutscenes (i.e. the intro scene in SMG and the little before the fight scenes in Punch Out!) =, not in-game cutscenes.

rickbdman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is completely helpful, but I had the exact same issue with both SMG and PunchOut, and when I switched to using a USB drive instead everything's been great. I just assumed it's an issue with read speed on burned discs, something that you don't have with the USB loader...

jmckutchin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I considered that as well. I may have to look into getting a USB loader.. how compatible are they compared to backup loaders and can you recommend any programs in particular?

rickbdman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't seen a game that doesn't work, though I haven't tried any RockBand/Guitar Hero accessories. Games like Metroid take no time to load levels, so you can open doors immediately, as compared to the 10 second wait with the disc. I'm just using USB Loader GX and a Western Digital passport drive, the kind that doesn't need any plugs other than the USB, which is kinda keen.

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
disks still run at 3x speed without mod chip. to get full-speed without mod chip you will need a usbloader and external HD. i burned a backup of galaxy at 10x on verbatim dvd-r and still have cutscene lag until i chipped. now i just use configurable usb loader to run my backups.

vinzanity

Trophies
XP
Country
Raziel5000 said:
i burned a backup of galaxy at 10x on verbatim dvd-r and still have cutscene lag until i chipped.

Hell you can burn it at 32X speed and it would still be read by a softmodded wii at 3X. It's the softmod's limitation not the speed of how you burned your backup.

They are all right in saying that to get 6x you need the mod-chips that are not "clip-ons" or use a usbloader if you are softmodded.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The burning speed mattters! If you burn slower than your burner wants, you get a half bad burn, and the Wii reads that disc slower than a good burn, which could result of course in more lag than with a good burn.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can burn at 1x, 2x, 4x, whatever x, this will never be fixed. The reason being is that disc backups through the softmod run at 3X speed, while the retail disc runs at 6X speed. If you want it not to be choppy, invest in either a mod chip or a USB HD and use a USB Loader instead, sorry.

jono@home

Trophies
XP
Country
because Backups only read @ 3x speed if running from disc.. whereas original run at 6x...

hardware limitation on the wii... with soft modding...

a few games do it.. another is wario smooth moves....

solution... buy a hard drive... run the game via a usbloader... or get the wii hard modded...

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I have an echo
smile.gif

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mgridgaway said:
Hey all, I'm pretty new to the wii hack scene (stuck mostly to PSP and DS), so bear with me. I used Dogegg's tutorial to softmod (as found on Wiihacks.com), and haven't changed any of that initial software. When I load up Super Mario Galaxy with Neogamma R6, it works just fine until you hit a cutscene, at which point the audio gets a bit choppy and the video slows done (I've played an official disc and this of course doesn't happen). Can anyone explain what's going or provide a possible fix? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Backups are locked at 3x, while real Wii games run at 6x. This doesn't have much effect on most games, but there are several which require the full 6x when playing cutscenes, etc. Super Mario Galaxy is one of those. The best remedy is to switch to a USB loader. All of your lag issues will be gone.

J-Bird05

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about if your using an external HDD (500 GB WD Elements) and you still get choppy cut-scenes? would that be a base IOS problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: