KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly the “Suggestion” tag is not available for EOF threads. It would have looked better having that tag, but a joke thread doesn’t belong into Site Discussions.
No ill intentions posting this. I know I’m not good at humor. Probably going to regret posting such a thread, but somehow I couldn’t resist.
Until yesterday I did not even know somebody actually specified Internet distribution using partially non-electronic transfer.

Having been told twice¹ to get rid of common communication technology, I’ll use this thread to ask for the implementation of IPoAC (IP over Avian Carriers) on the forum.

More reasons: The global Internet uses huge amounts of electric energy. This is an ecological alternative to having millions of energy hungry systems active 24/7 just to transport our data. To work against energy shortage and to protect our environment the slight increase in latency should be tolerable. Might be a bit hard for online gaming, but for a forum it is perfect (and chess will still work great this way).

A nice opportunity outside GBAtemp in the same direction would be replacing that antiquated, wasteful streaming video distribution method, with a more modern variant: This will not even require to implement the internet protocol. Pigeons will carry small data storage media containing a movie, which can be played offline(!) – and as often as you want without permanent subscription fees.

As said, latency isn’t great, but the overall data transfer rate can be convincing: A single pigeon can easily carry multiple 512GB micro-SD cards transferring enormous amounts of data in one shot.

:creep: :creep: :creep:

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Nikokaro wanted me to cancel my internet subscription [Profile Posts] (to get rid of me) when I moved to another house
Hmm.. You're a bit of a liar.🤥 It's true that I said to try to do without the internet, but I also asked for your address to communicate epistolary, like the good old days, that is, with pen and paper. Never said I wanted to get rid of you!🤬 That note is misleading and purposely deceptive. Nah, it takes more than that to make me angry.🤧

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pigeon protocol has less packet loss then regular internet connections!
It's a vastly superior tech!
But it's more vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.

1694341894983.png

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That note is misleading and purposely deceptive.
No, it's not. It is mildly malicious. You know, this figure: :creep:
I'm just trying to adapt to EOF standards: Talking nonsense on purpose and it is supposed to be interpreted as funny. Alas, these attempts are bound to fail. Just like an elephant trying to fly.

But it's more vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks.

View attachment 393003
I thought of that cartoon while typing the text (haven't seen it in ages). But… no, this is not vulnerable at all – at least considering those incompetent attackers.

Reactions: Nikokaro

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
More reasons: The global Internet uses huge amounts of electric energy. This is an ecological alternative to having millions of energy hungry systems active 24/7 just to transport our data. To work against energy shortage and to protect our environment the slight increase in latency should be tolerable. Might be a bit hard for online gaming, but for a forum it is perfect (and chess will still work great this way).
Do we have numbers on the impact of pigeons vs electricity? Like how much does it take to grow the food (and pigeons I suppose), clean up after them, etc. And how long do pigeons last before we need to create more?

The comparison with existing systems needs to be looked into more before implementing. Without in depth research I feel it may be viable for countries that obtain energy solely from coal or similar things, but more advanced areas which can use solar or wind may be better off continuing with what we use right now.

A model like that may even encourage countries with heavy pollution from energy to upgrade to a more sustainable technology as pigeons are very limiting in speed. This still needs more research first.

Your idea is nice but is denied until you provide a better outline of how this will be accomplished.

Reactions: SylverReZ and Veho

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Piccione Maledetto
Sempre alla ricerca delle briciole
Io te ne stacco il becco
Se ti rivedo ancora sulle tegole
Non sei un alimento