Steam Summer Sale 2018 begins today

share_steam_logo.png

Get your wallets out, PC gamers among us, as the yearly Steam Summer Sale is here. As always, you can expect tons of games to be on sale, just like every summer sale, and you can also expect Steam's front page to crash, just like every year. Once the hype dies down, you can check what's on sale at the link below. Titles like PUBG, Ark, Dying Light, Nioh, Dark Souls III, Ni No Kuni 2, Grim Dawn, Halo Wars, and more are on "deep" discount.

The summer sale game to earn cards and points this year is called Salines, where you can earn points from picking different planets and spending time there.

The sale ends July 5th.

:arrow: Steam

LufianGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit sale as usual. Should never have gotten rid of the flash sales.
Pubs might not want their game discounted to 80% off for two weeks, but are fine with 80% for 24 hours.

Whatever the reason may be, the sales got worse as soon as flash sales were gone and we switched to the current format. Most stuff is barely even a sale anymore and has normally been cheaper elsewhere.
Preach Brother!

Things have not been as good since flash sales left.

Last edited by LufianGuy,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice, just bought Ni no Kuni 2 and Final Fantasy 15 ^^ was waiting to play them after comming baxk home from my working holiday in Japan but well now at least thwy are bought already ^^

Now waiting for Monster Hunter World and I have enough games for a few month xD

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Shit sale as usual. Should never have gotten rid of the flash sales.
Flash sales are pointless when you have a refund policy. If you buy a game on -40% and it then gets a flash sale of-60%, you can just refund the game and buy it again for the flash sale price. As such, flash sales either screw those not paying attention and puts more administration in place on both ends for those that do. But because it's benefiting no one, it's better to just have the game on -60% from the start.

Reactions: PrincessLillie
D

Deleted User

Anyone recommend some good games at good prices?
Had a look at my wishlist, nothing special.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been enjoying Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (the vanilla version) so far so I might buy it this time lol.

Too bad it's not on the Switch!

Reactions: DS1

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flash sales are pointless when you have a refund policy. If you buy a game on -40% and it then gets a flash sale of-60%, you can just refund the game and buy it again for the flash sale price. As such, flash sales either screw those not paying attention and puts more administration in place on both ends for those that do. But because it's benefiting no one, it's better to just have the game on -60% from the start.

Except in that case they wouldn't be doing -60% from the start. It's just -40% and the higher discount is just gone.

No one would care about the flash sales going away if we had flash sale prices for the whole event, but we don't. Steam sales used the to be the place to get the cheapest price, it was something to wait for. Now the prices on most fairly recent titles are shit. It's either a worse price than you can get elsewhere, or matches the price it's been elsewhere for months. Nothing to look forward to anymore.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: LufianGuy

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Except games don't ever hit that "Flash sale" price point anymore, they're just at a normal sale price, which is the point he's trying to make.

The problem is, these big "XYZ sale prices!!" never go lower than a previous, normal sale price (not counting the age/price discount curve, of course). A good example for this are games that have been on Steam for a long time, like Morrowind and Oblivion. They're normally priced at $15 each, which is a pretty ok price. Whenever they go on sale and it's not a big huge Steam sale, they're always half off at $7.49 each (which is, again, pretty ok). But for the big huge Steam Sales that are supposed to be OMG SUPER AMAZING EXTRA DISCOUNTS!!!!...they're still only ever 50% off.

Would you like to know when both games were at their absolute lowest price?

June 2014, during a Flash sale, when they were at $5 each.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's more of a landmark to spend than a money-saver nowadays. I dug around for hidden gems, and even so only got best historical prices by a 10-15% marginm most games are costing over their recent sale prices, which is... sigh.

What the pretentious fuck is it with XCOM 2 War of the Chosen selling for over the prices of high quality AA games? Wow, really want it, but will insist on waiting for 50-66%.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Except in that case they wouldn't be doing -60% from the start. It's just -40% and the higher discount is just gone.

No one would care about the flash sales going away if we had flash sale prices for the whole event, but we don't. Steam sales used the to be the place to get the cheapest price, it was something to wait for. Now the prices on most fairly recent titles are shit. It's either a worse price than you can get elsewhere, or matches the price it's been elsewhere for months. Nothing to look forward to anymore.
(Also @Tom Bombadildo )
Hmmm... i have to admit i was wrong. After googling for earlier flash sales, it's indeed so that these same games now have an overall lower percentage cut. There are exceptions, but considering the games are older now, that's not really out of the ordinary. :-\

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up