Steam's annual Summer Sale arrives yet again

HxSI4tC.png

Summer is here, because Steam's annual Summer Sale has begun. Lasting until July 13th, Steam is offering discounts on hundreds of PC games, as is tradition. Certain headline sales include 40% off Persona 5 Royal, 67% off Red Dead Redemption 2, and 20% off Hogwarts Legacy. Steam is also taking a noteworthy 20% off of Steam Deck handheld units. You can see all the games that are discounted by going to the Steam storefront.

:arrow: Source

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Season sales on steam have become just the usual sale prices but across more games. Sure do miss the good old days of amazing discounts.
I think refunds killed the good sales since people would refund games when a better deal came around.

I remember when you could get new AAA games for 75%+ off during a flash sale. Now we get maybe 20% off and it's just meh. But 20% is still enough that I wait until the sale to buy the stuff on my wishlist.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I remember when you could get new AAA games for 75%+ off during a flash sale.
Read this and was thinking, "surely Forspoken is 75% off by now." Nope, only 50%. Sonic Frontiers is $5 cheaper.

Publishers have gotten a lot more greedy and a lot more shameless since the early days of Steam, that I won't deny.

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ehh not really, there's still tons of great games at 75% or 85% off, but anyone who's been on Steam more than a couple years probably owns damn near everything they could possibly want already. Doubly true if you've been around since humble/indie bundles were just starting to catch on.

Ya gotta buy a Steam Deck, and set default window view to library instead of store on your desktop too. :lol:
Some great games are on for a good price, but nothing like the sales used to be. Those of us who were around back then have massive libaries because of those sales, I know I do (400+)

Doom (2016) looks to have finally hit 75% off. I know as far as whats on my list goes, only a few games have deeper discounts than the usual sale price they often seem to hit. That's out of 100+ games I'm keeping an eye on.

Yeah I still remember the days when steam was green...

Read this and was thinking, "surely Forspoken is 75% off by now." Nope, only 50%. Sonic Frontiers is $5 cheaper.

Publishers have gotten a lot more greedy and a lot more shameless since the early days of Steam, that I won't deny.
This has never been more true. So many old games are still way up in regular pricing.

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Man, 25 off Pizza Tower..... And i Already own the funny itialian

Did bye Persona 3 Portable However.

Yes. I'll rather not put the laggy, buggy hellhole known as Epic Launcher on my desktop or download malware from a random torrent website.
Persona 3? Good taste! I'd suggest using mods to make it more like FES.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Persona 3? Good taste! I'd suggest using mods to make it more like FES.
I actually own FES on the PS2. P3P on steam is just another one for me to play. Ive been grinding down on Persona 2 on my Vita, it's fun..... and then there is Pizza Tower, @SylverReZ Can tell you about the indirect Spam of Peppino to her

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually own FES on the PS2. P3P on steam is just another one for me to play. Ive been grinding down on Persona 2 on my Vita, it's fun..... and then there is Pizza Tower, @SylverReZ Can tell you about the indirect Spam of Peppino to her
Yeah, there's this game called Pizza Tower which is kinda like a Warioland type of game. Peppino, being the main character, has become a meme throughout the game's popularity.

Last edited by SylverReZ,
Reactions: Xzi

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Had a few tabs open after scrolling through the main page but I ended up buying not a single one of them.
I dunno, I love my Steam Deck but I'm just not that easy on the purchase button as I was when I was younger, even if I get good value for 5 bucks in a few cases.

The reasons are:
1. Big AAA games missing on my list are either still too expensive with me seeing no need to own them now or are poisened to death with DLC. You see a nice 5 bucks deal only to find out that you have to pay around 10 or more to get the "Ultimate" or "Deluxe" edition that contains everything (aka just the goddamn complete game). If I get a full game with all content ever released for it for 5 - 8 bucks I'm fine with it (for a sale), otherwise I'll wait patiently.
2. Backlog aka Pile of shame. It's massive. I went crazy on bundles and sales in my earlier gamer life and I'm also into Switch gaming, have to complete Dragon Quest 7 on my 3DS at some point and then there's my never ending love for retro gaming which covers not only classics that I either play for the first time or re-play for the 10th time but also new releases (like currently Alwa's Awakening for NES) that are worth my time. It just makes no sense to go wild on the Steam Sale.

(Then again it never made sense lol. That's the joke.)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It just makes no sense to go wild on the Steam Sale.

(Then again it never made sense lol. That's the joke.)
Makes plenty of sense if you're a gamer. A great game stays a great game forever, and unlike a Nintendo or Game Pass account, you know your Steam account will still have those same games attached twenty or forty years from now. Except perhaps the live-service and multiplayer-only ones, but I wouldn't bother spending money on those in the first place.

Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
people actually buy games on steam? :rofl2:

1. I want to support the dev / publisher

2. Frequent updates making having to download each update from the seven seas inconvenient.

3. online support / multiplayer

4. steam workshop mods

5. Want to play it easily on steam deck without having to fuck with Lutris

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
I agree. gg.deals is better to keep up with sales
Regional pricing increases are already taking care of that.

Ehh not really, there's still tons of great games at 75% or 85% off, but anyone who's been on Steam more than a couple years probably owns damn near everything they could possibly want already. Doubly true if you've been around since humble/indie bundles were just starting to catch on.

Ya gotta buy a Steam Deck, and set default window view to library instead of store on your desktop too. :lol:
I think the point is that these days a Steam sale is just all the games that go on sale every other month like clockwork anyway, and for the same discount you can get them for said every other month. Back in the good ol' days the discounts tended to be deeper in general, plus you had flash sales etc. 75% off wasn't necessarily the no-brainer it pretty much is these days. I know I lost any motivation to buy anything during the major sales specifically - it just doesn't really matter, unless you need to farm badges, maybe?

Probably healthier for the industry this way, I guess, but it sure looks like the AAA are getting the most out of the - no doubt heavily lobbied for - change when I look at what stays at 20-50% for years. For instance, I think Dark Souls - if it even goes on sale anymore which it rarely does - is twice as expensive now on sale vs what it used to be when discounted a few years back, and you're not getting it cheaper anytime soon. That's life, I guess.

Humble is another discussion - also crazy value that we won't be seeing again for sure.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1. I want to support the dev / publisher

2. Frequent updates making having to download each update from the seven seas inconvenient.

3. online support / multiplayer

4. steam workshop mods

5. Want to play it easily on steam deck without having to fuck with Lutris
Yeah TBH there are some cases where the pirated version of a game provides the best value, but those are actually the exception to the rule these days. Steam is always adding features and refining things ahead of the curve of other gaming platforms. It practically does everything competitors' annual subscription services do, and more, for free. Steam Deck and the UX it brings with it is a massive value add of its own, too.

Always a good idea to make sure you're getting the best price for Steam games though, including prices offered at legitimate third-party sites.

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being a new Steam User this is a cool sale, but being a cheap bastard think I'll wait for some deeper price cuts. Everything seems about what I'd expect after looking at sales for a couple months. In the meantime, my Deck is a dedicated PS2 machine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...