Hacking SSBB Texture Swaps

Pharrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's getting late here (3:15), so I probably won't get it done tonight. If I do I will send you what I get and post something here saying I sent it to you.

EDIT: if you're still on, check your mail, I don't think there is a problem at all.

The way lz77 compression works is that it finds places where code is repeated and then referrences back to the original string. Because of this, the files can come up smaller or larger depending on whether there is more or less repeated code. In the case of your .bin file it came up smaller because of more repeating segments. However when you recompressed the .pac, your new compressed .bin had less things that were used by the other files in the .pac, so it ended up larger. Brawl has about 400mb of padding. If you insert the new file with WiiScrubber it can insert the larger .pac and it will just overwrite some of the dummy data.

Keshire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pharrox said:
I don't suppose there is a way to do that for .brres files? Something like changing the last line to "move "*(NW4R)" %%~na\."? I know my example won't work, but just asking.

Code:
for /R %%I in (*.brres) do (
mkdir "%%~pI3DModels(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIAnmChr(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIAnmClr(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIAnmTexPat(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIAnmTexSrt(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIAnmVis(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pIPalettes(NW4R)\%%~nI"
mkdir "%%~pITextures(NW4R)\%%~nI"
SSBExtract "%%I"
move "%%~pI3DModels(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pI3DModels(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIAnmChr(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIAnmChr(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIAnmClr(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIAnmClr(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIAnmTexPat(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIAnmTexPat(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIAnmTexSrt(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIAnmTexSrt(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIAnmVis(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIAnmVis(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pIPalettes(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pIPalettes(NW4R)\%%~nI"
move "%%~pITextures(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pITextures(NW4R)\%%~nI"
)
for /f "usebackq delims=" %%d in (`"dir /ad/b/s | sort /R"`) do rd "%%d"
pause

Since there is no way to know what folder each file contains this is the way it needs to be done. Fortunately, I included a line that will go through and remove any empty directories after the fact.
wink.gif

Anyway, this will move all the files into a folder named after the brres within each (NW4R).
If you don't want the files divided up then just use this:
CODEmove "%%~pITextures(NW4R)\*.*" "%%~pI%%~nI"
instead (be sure to mkdir "%%~pI%%~nI" too).

Pharrox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're awesome. Thanks, this will make things a lot easier.
smile.gif

Also, I ran Brawl's main executable through a disassembler. I can't really make heads or tails of it, but if anyone thinks they can, let me know and I'll post some data.

Phreeq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind looking at it Pharrox, I mean, I'll have no clue what I'm looking at, but it would be kewl to see some of that stuff.

Keshire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phreeq said:
I wouldn't mind looking at it Pharrox, I mean, I'll have no clue what I'm looking at, but it would be kewl to see some of that stuff.

It's useless if you don't know assembly. I have a rudimentary understanding and I still wouldn't touch it.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
would you be able to change pika's character slightly, so that when you play as plusle you also have a minun beside you (does the same attacks) so you have a two in one fighter? or is that not possible.

Phreeq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so, unless you did some messing around with IC but, that seems like it might not work. Idk though.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Was the main bit of Pikachu's body uneditable? Because I'm pretty sure Plusle (or Minun) aren't quite that yellow... They are much paler...

Still, good work
smile.gif

Jokiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yup, Plusle and Minun are much paler.

And, I'm pretty sure this won't be possible, but i'm just throwing it out there: If you made Lucario look like Mewtwo, alot of fans would be very happy!
Oh, and another one that might not be possible is Mario's other costume..Paper Mario would be awesome!

Oh, and a quick question: Will Fierce Deity get his sword? Or will he still have the Master Sword?

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jokiz said:
And, I'm pretty sure this won't be possible, but i'm just throwing it out there: If you made Lucario look like Mewtwo, alot of fans would be very happy!
Oh, and another one that might not be possible is Mario's other costume..Paper Mario would be awesome!

Oh, and a quick question: Will Fierce Deity get his sword? Or will he still have the Master Sword?
Remember these are texture mods, not model mods, so It might have a mewtwo texture, but it would still be lucario shaped (very different body shape)

Same goes for paper mario...

AS for Fierce deity sword, I believe they said the were going to do it (or have and haven't taken any new screenshots) but I could be wrong
tongue.gif

Raganook

Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jokiz said:
Yup, Plusle and Minun are much paler.

Jokiz, I need you to do me a BIG favor. Go the first post. Scroll down towards the bottom of it, and you will notice some very big bold letters. I need you to read those, to yourself, out loud.

Fierce Deity's sword is fixed. _ALL_characters on the front post, without exception, are our Draft-1 edits. All of them. Every character goes through THREE drafts, so none of them are exactly as you see them
tongue.gif

EDIT: Pharrox, I inserted it with Wii Scrubber, which worked, and now am testing it! But how much leeway do I have with this option? With character textures, whenever the file is too big I remove colors. How many KB of extra data can I safely overflow? 400mb sounds like everything can be over by the 50ishkb that sometimes happens, and still be totally fine.

Well, bad news. That file was ALSO not the correct one. How many damn times did they need to include character selection pictures!?

Phreeq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey raganook, do you use a new DVD each time or something, because you said not all of the textures are finished, so how do you go about not wasting DVDs?

Raganook

Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just extracted the .pac I had inserted, decrypted and unpacked everything until I got to the character portraits, and I absolutely replaced it correctly.

That makes the THIRD place WITH portraits that are NOT selection portraits! Give me a break! Anyways, ill be gone for about 8 hours, then today's update is forth coming. Pharrox, hopefully you had a second place in mind as well oO.

Cryos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phreeq said:
Hey raganook, do you use a new DVD each time or something, because you said not all of the textures are finished, so how do you go about not wasting DVDs?

We go through DVDs like candy, or something that gets used a lot and tossed aside.

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cryos said:
Phreeq said:

We go through DVDs like candy, or something that gets used a lot and tossed aside.
More like chewing gum then...

Most people eat candy before they spit it out
tongue.gif

Raganook

Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would just like to quickly re-issue our plea for assistance:

If anyone knows/can find the character selection portraits, it would be GREATLY appreciated. The three known locations of pictures of characters in their different costumes, that are NOT the character selection files but instead other things, are on the top of the front post.

Also, we are at nearly 20,000 views here on the temp! I would just like to thank everyone again for their support and interest, we greatly appreciate it
smile.gif

Phreeq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry raganook, I've looked through so many files that my eyes hurt, and now I gotta leave. Sorry I couldn't find anything.
Although I did find some interesting textures that would be fun to mess with.

Raganook

Raganook
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Phreeq said:
Sorry raganook, I've looked through so many files that my eyes hurt, and now I gotta leave. Sorry I couldn't find anything.
Although I did find some interesting textures that would be fun to mess with.

Hey, we appreciate it
smile.gif
The search continues...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D