Sony State of Play August 2020 - roundup

In thirty minutes, Sony will air their latest State of Play broadcast, featuring new PlayStation games. Though there won't be any new information about the PlayStation 5 itself, nor any first-party titles, the stream will show games that are being developed by third-party studios and still planned for release on the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR. The State of Play show will go live today at 1pm PT/9pm BST. Catch it live by watching the link above, or stick around to see our live coverage of the event.

Live Coverage

It begins with Crash 4. Classic platforming gameplay will be a focus. He'll also have many skins, cosmetic, but no microtransactions. You get them from getting gems within levels. Quantum Masks are a new facet of the series. You can flip gravity, slow down time, or phase objects in. Dingodile is playable. There's an inverted mode. It's like mirror mode, but it also adds new visual changes, which will affect the gameplay.

October 2nd launch.

The new Hitman game will have a PSVR mode. Play the whole trilogy in VR.

Braid Anniversary Edition. It's the original game, but re-envisioned with new visuals and new animations. Releases in 2021.

The Pathless is developed by Giant Squid. You can run across the world by shooting targets with your bow, though it's more about timing rather than aiming.

Pet the eagle to make it fly better. There are dungeons you can explore and solve puzzles in. You'll fight giant beasts to restore light to the world. It'll launch later this year for PS5.

Spelunky 2 is next. Online multiplayer will be a new feature. There are many secrets and weapons to find. September 15th.

Genshin Impact. Characters have all sorts of different personal abilities. Multiplayer boss fights with friends. Fall 2020.

Aeon Must Die announced. Beat em up.

Explore a cyberpunk world in the 2D action adventure game, Anno Mutationen.

Bugsnax. You can take pictures of each of the creatures. Holiday 2020 for the PS5.

Vader Immortal. August 25th launch for PSVR.

Remedy Entertainment has more Control content on the way. Expansion 2 Awe releases August 27th.

Auto Chess launches October 31st.

The Pedestrian is a puzzle game about drawing lines to your destination. Jan 2021 release.

Hood Outlaws and Legends is a PlayStation 5 game, where you brutally attack your enemies and assassinate them.

Temtem is coming to PlayStation 5. Play together online with friends. 2021.

Godfall is the final game to show, with new gameplay to see, captured right from a devkit PS5. The game is a looter/slasher. It supports online coop with up to 3 players together. There will be no microtransactions at all.

The gameplay is a mix of skill-based and knowing what gear to use. Offense is more important than defense, and you're rewarded for being aggressive. There are many different weapon types, each with different traits and playstyles.

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
>The new Hitman game will have a PSVR mode. Play the whole trilogy in VR.

Wow! That sounds awesome. I really hope it isn't a PSVR "exclusive" like the Resident Evil 7 vr mode.. That would be a big let down.

No other games showcased here have me interested, unfortunately. Maybe Crash 4 will be good but I'm holding back hope until it releases.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am happy to see that Temtem will be released for the PS5, I am having a lot of fun with the game on the PC, even more than the recent Pokémon. But now I'm curious... won't it be released on PS4 anymore ?, I don't intend to get a PS5 anytime soon and I intended to migrate my progress from PC to PS4 as soon as it was released.

D

Deleted User

>The new Hitman game will have a PSVR mode. Play the whole trilogy in VR.

Wow! That sounds awesome. I really hope it isn't a PSVR "exclusive" like the Resident Evil 7 vr mode.. That would be a big let down.

No other games showcased here have me interested, unfortunately. Maybe Crash 4 will be good but I'm holding back hope until it releases.
It's right there in the name... VR Mode. What were you expecting? VR without VR?
That's just First Person Mode.

D

Deleted User

this is Pathetic, i think ill buy an Xbox Series X first and when Sony has something worth playing, ill invest

BloodBorne on Ps4 was the highlight, Demons Souls Remake is nice, but i still want an original game or a followup to Bloodborne

they dont even have a God of War game yet, Pathetic

Last edited by ,

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's right there in the name... VR Mode. What were you expecting? VR without VR?
That's just First Person Mode.

As Chary said, The PSVR mode for RE7 never made it to PC. The only offical way to play RE7 in VR is on a PS4. It sucks because it's already made, they just locked it to PSVR only.

If they make it PSVR exclusive, then we won't be able to play it in VR on PC. They would literally just leave that VR mode out of the PC version, like RE7.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Isn't it a gacha game? I wouldn't support this kind of practice on console even if it just loot box for cosmetic, left alone actual gameplay impact like character.
Going off the beta, it was very fun. Yes, there are gacha elements tied to characters, but just like most gacha games, they give you content for free. You just won’t be uber powerful and showy like the p2w whales will be. I’d rather it be like a standard game, but it’s fun, and that’s what counts for me.

Reactions: GameSystem and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Going off the beta, it was very fun. Yes, there are gacha elements tied to characters, but just like most gacha games, they give you content for free. You just won’t be uber powerful and showy like the p2w whales will be. I’d rather it be like a standard game, but it’s fun, and that’s what counts for me.
Oof, such a misstep making it F2P and also dumbing it down so it's playable on mobile. So much of my hype gone just like that. :(

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is Pathetic, i think ill buy an Xbox Series X first and when Sony has something worth playing, ill invest

BloodBorne on Ps4 was the highlight, Demons Souls Remake is nice, but i still want an original game or a followup to Bloodborne

they dont even have a God of War game yet, Pathetic

They are likely holding back a GoW announcement. Though the game may not be ready for launch.

Reactions: Payne

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read about Genshin Impact after seeing this roundup because it got me interested and was releasing on PC, but then dreaded when I heard it was F2P. I then read that a bunch of other people were talking about the other game the same devs made, Honkai Impact 3, and they said that although the game was also F2P, it was very F2P friendly. Apparently it is possible to clear everything in that game being solely F2P, and being P2W only gets you stuff faster instead of it being truly exclusive. If Genshin Impact is also F2P friendly, I will be happy. I'm going to play it anyway on release because why the heck not? It's FREE!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
being P2W only gets you stuff faster instead of it being truly exclusive
Normally I'd say that's not an issue, but games like these seem to be designed to deliberately waste your time in order to gate the ACTUAL experience behind a paywall. You can have a look at gameplay for yourself:

I have no idea why the run/walk speed would need to be so painfully slow unless there's a speed boost you can pay for (which is likely temporary). Additionally, you have to press a key/button for each set of materials/currencies that pop out of chests, when there's no reason why "collect all" shouldn't be an option. I'm betting that's another benefit you have to pay for. There's no excuse for this from a design standpoint. If you're going to keep free players from accessing basic features and functionality, then it's obvious you don't want them playing your game to begin with, and you should switch to a pay-once model like every other game.

The trailer did a good job of making it look like a superior version of BotW, but gameplay footage makes it look more like a bargain bin version of WoW.

Last edited by Xzi,

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally I'd say that's not an issue, but games like these seem to be designed to deliberately waste your time in order to gate the ACTUAL experience behind a paywall. You can have a look at gameplay for yourself:

I have no idea why the run/walk speed would need to be so painfully slow unless there's a speed boost you can pay for (which is likely temporary). Additionally, you have to press a key/button for each set of materials/currencies that pop out of chests, when there's no reason why "collect all" shouldn't be an option. I'm betting that's another benefit you have to pay for. There's no excuse for this from a design standpoint. If you're going to keep free players from accessing basic features and functionality, then it's obvious you don't want them playing your game to begin with, and you should switch to a pay-once model like every other game.

The trailer did a good job of making it look like a superior version of BotW, but gameplay footage makes it look more like a bargain bin version of WoW.

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with pressing a pickup button for every item, because a ton of games, including BOTW, are like that. The only issue I had was that the sound effect was super annoying. Run speed didn't seem that bad, and the footage showed a teleport waypoint, so we at least know fast travel options exist. Plus gliding basically took no stamina. She went from the top of that building to a spot like a kilometer away and didn't even use 1/4. For a free game, this is more than enough for me, even if just to pass time. It's not like I have anything else on the horizon for Fall 2020.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I don't really have a problem with pressing a pickup button for every item, because a ton of games, including BOTW, are like that. The only issue I had was that the sound effect was super annoying. Run speed didn't seem that bad, and the footage showed a teleport waypoint, so we at least know fast travel options exist. Plus gliding basically took no stamina. She went from the top of that building to a spot like a kilometer away and didn't even use 1/4. For a free game, this is more than enough for me, even if just to pass time. It's not like I have anything else on the horizon for Fall 2020.
Meh, to each their own I suppose. Personally I'd choose something like PSO2 over this, but I guess you could do worse (*cough* *cough* Fortnite).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock