Story-driven action-adventure game 'Dustborn' to launch in August

Screenshot_2024-03-22-16-13-09-900_com.microsoft.office.outlook-edit.jpg

Today, Oslo-based studio Red Thread Games and publisher Quantic Dream have revealed the launch date for their upcoming narrative-driven action-adventure game Dustborn. A new trailer accompanied the announcement:

Dustborn explores the power of words through the eyes of its playable character, Pax, an Anomal with the ability to weaponize language. By crafting new words, Pax is able to talk her way out of hairy situations, using her vocal power to neutralize threats and influence those around her, including her crew. Assembling, managing, and building relationships with this group of misfits – each with compelling stories and clashing personalities – will prove to be a complex task requiring Pax to carefully leverage her abilities.

In addition to the release date reveal trailer, a new gameplay overview trailer was aired:

Dustborn launches digitally August 20on PC (Steam and Epic Games Store), PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S/X and Xbox One. A physical release will follow at a later date.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I am not replying because you put a bunch of nonsense into the conversation that I didn’t say nor even reflects anything I am talking about. The purpose for being SBI up isn’t because they are involved but because this looks like something they would have been involved with. I also didn’t say diversity was the reason why those games were mediocre. Again, you’ve been the one put a lot more emphasis on these issues than I am. You didn’t even bother to ask me anything and injected racism, sexism, and even homophobia into my post. Which is even more laughable. Again, you have been the one asserting my position and assuming the comments you think I am going to make without actually even knowing shit about my reasons or even slowing down to actually talk with me instead of at me.
For clarification, I am and always have been in favor of more diversity in gaming and media. I have always defended the practice of diversity. I am not in favor of diversity only being done for the sake of diverting criticism by claiming your critics are racist/sexist/homophobic, etc. and that has been something that’s been happening in gaming. This is the forced diversity that I see being used to shield shit games from criticism by using a diverse cast to deflect the blame for a shit game.
Post automatically merged:

This is funny because my marriage would be same-sex if I was a still a woman

Again, your critique started by going after diversity. And you're criticizing it being forced on a real live based diverse setting and in a fantasy story. This is not like a Battlefield V scenario where they are pretending there were female British soldiers, this is a made up story on a modern day US setting. Also you talk about misrepresentation but showed nothing of substance.

And are they pandering? Possibly, but the notion that that ruins the game is honestly revealing of something else on who the game is ruined for.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Again, your critique started by going after diversity. And you're criticizing it being forced on a real live based diverse setting and in a fantasy story. This is not like a Battlefield V scenario where they are pretending there were female British soldiers, this is a made up story on a modern day US setting. Also you talk about misrepresentation but showed nothing of substance.

And are they pandering? Possibly, but the notion that that ruins the game is honestly revealing of something else on who the game is ruined for.
This isn’t a debate, you asked and got your answer then started making assumptions about me over them. You didn’t even ask if I hold those positions. I could have been quoting others. You made the assumption of my character and honestly projected a lot of that onto me as if those were things I believe and agree with. If you want to argue, then argue with someone else who actually hold those positions instead of jumping the gun. Again, you were the one to make those claims and then asked me to argue them as if I was the one who did.
I am not going to continue with this conversation if you are going to expect me to be the imaginary enemy you projected onto me.

bedbug1226

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pure distilled cringe.

Is this a paid ad? I don't see why this would be a headline on GBATemp at all. A completely generic indie game.
Yeah I agree seems like a few random games had been posted to news with their release date. Unless its a review I dont understand how its news.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That trailer answers the question for ya.

I've honestly never seen anyone try to defend Dustborn like you do... Maybe at Resetera there might be. 🤣

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

That trailer answers the question for ya.

I've honestly never seen anyone try to defend Dustborn like you do... Maybe at Resetera there might be. 🤣

I'm not defending the game, it didn't came out yet even, I'm attacking the hate of something for being diverse.

And what of it with the trailer? Doesn't seem it'll win any awards for storytelling for sure, but I see no problem with the characters. What do you seem in them to feel so offended with?

munnimann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It has a black woman at the front, so immediately you knobs start talking about "forced diversity" and you don't even realize that you embody the exact negative stereotype of the incel gamer type. Bloody hell.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
It has a black woman at the front, so immediately you knobs start talking about "forced diversity" and you don't even realize that you embody the exact negative stereotype of the incel gamer type. Bloody hell.

Why can't people point out that games that obviously have a diversity equity and inclusion checklist ticking cast, do so without people frothing and foaming at the mouth to insult them and name call?

What are you upset at exactly? Are you denying this game hasn't clearly went out of its way to have its rag tag motley crew gang consist of one of every race/gender/sexuality + bonus points for disability/medical conditions (vitiligo)

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why can't people point out that games that obviously have a diversity equity and inclusion checklist ticking cast, do so without people frothing and foaming at the mouth to insult them and name call?

What are you upset at exactly? Are you denying this game hasn't clearly went out of its way to have its rag tag motley crew gang consist of one of every race/gender/sexuality + bonus points for disability/medical conditions (vitiligo)
I honestly think people have forgotten that there are ways of making diverse characters in games without the need for it be obvious paint-by-numbers “diversity.” It kind of sucks that the entire conversation around this topic has gotten reduced down to assuming the worst of everyone to the point where nothing is said. Instead it’s reduced down to name calling and assumptions of another person’s character.
These games just feel like they were written for a focus group. Just tick the boxes that make enough people happy and ignore anything else that is needed to make good games.
Even if this is an indie game, it definitely looks like it was filtered through a DEI and became another generic game in this category.

Honestly, I wish people would demand better quality out of games with diverse casts. It’s kind of fucked up just how bad these kinds of games are and how they’ve used diversity as a shield from criticism

Last edited by The Catboy,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It looks like another generic game with filled with forced diversity, the same style graphics used in every “narrative-driven” game since Life is Strange. It just looks like it’s going to be a solid 3/10, something that you wouldn’t be shocked to find out Sweet Baby Inc. was involved with
How do you know that the diversity was forced?

Reactions: Xdqwerty

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How do you know that the diversity was forced?
You can go back and read my posts but if you need a TL; RD, the game is clearly a corporate form of “diversity.” That is to say, diverse for the sake of appeasing focus groups and diverting criticism when the game turns out to be trash. Simply put, it’s not diversity because life is diverse, it’s just using diversity for corporate gain. How do I know this is forced? I watched the trailer, it’s clear that they filtered this through a DEI organization, something I consider to be forced diversity as it’s not intended to be organic but only exist for the above reasons
Maybe I am not using the right term but it seems like no one has made a term for this issue

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can go back and read my posts but if you need a TL; RD, the game is clearly a corporate form of “diversity.” That is to say, diverse for the sake of appeasing focus groups and diverting criticism when the game turns out to be trash. Simply put, it’s not diversity because life is diverse, it’s just using diversity for corporate gain. How do I know this is forced? I watched the trailer, it’s clear that they filtered this through a DEI organization, something I consider to be forced diversity as it’s not intended to be organic but only exist for the above reasons
Maybe I am not using the right term but it seems like no one has made a term for this issue
The first trailer made it very obvious what their agenda is and that's what annoyed so many people because even with that reformed trailer folks aren't gonna forget about it.

- "Disinformation"
- Angry Black woman

Those two aspects are what pretty much ruined any chances of the game even getting a fair chance. Devs or SBI (if they're involved), shot themselves on the foot.

Reactions: Skelletonike

Tomy8791

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

Today, Oslo-based studio Red Thread Games and publisher Quantic Dream have revealed the launch date for their upcoming narrative-driven action-adventure game Dustborn. A new trailer accompanied the announcement:

In addition to the release date reveal trailer, a new gameplay overview trailer was aired:

Dustborn launches digitally August 20on PC (Steam and Epic Games Store), PS4, PS5, Xbox Series S/X and Xbox One. A physical release will follow at a later date.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

god

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The first trailer made it very obvious what their agenda is and that's what annoyed so many people because even with that reformed trailer folks aren't gonna forget about it.

- "Disinformation"
- Angry Black woman

Those two aspects are what pretty much ruined any chances of the game even getting a fair chance. Devs or SBI (if they're involved), shot themselves on the foot.
I don’t care about the angry black woman, I care that something that is supposed to be an indie game and it looks like corporate trash and everything about it sinks of DEI involvement. It looks like a focus group approved game

Last edited by The Catboy,

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is dreadfully generic. What is the deal with this genre? It’s depressing as hell to see “art” become a copycat thing down to every single style choice whatsoever.

*Election, disinformation, young people road trip, guitar, campfire, misfits, the map, the gasmask people like in Borderlands = Road 96

*Emotions having powers/visual manifestations in the game = Life is Strange True Colors

*The Marvel dialogue, yuck!

*The visual style… Road 96 had that, and lots of games do. It’s disappointing to see the complete lack of visual originality anymore. I’ll forgive it bc I understand making games is hard, and using available engines/resources is a must for many smaller developers. But there’s just no originality in it. Looking at it makes the creative side of my brain depressed.

Did Road 96 pave the way for this, or was that game a copy of something in its own right? Because honestly this literally looks like a total copy of it, like a twin raised by different parents. The only particular difference is the fact that there’s combat, which doesn’t look compelling anyway.

As for the diversity stuff… Yeah, it’s clearly derived from the same inspiration as the rest of the game. It is unfortunate to see it work as a shield from criticism like you’ve been saying Catboy, but then it is also good to see most people in this thread roll their eyes at it.

I just get so sick of these derivative games! I’d expect creative-type people to be too self aware and proud to make EXACTLY THE SAME ART AS EVERYBODY ELSE IN A GIVEN 5-YEAR SPAN, but I am continuously proven wrong!

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
reeks of "DEI" and SGI, wow it even has a woman with a blanket on her head
You're not responding because you really have no response. I don't see a Sweet Baby Inc connection btw, but for curiosity went to see what games are they involved in: Spiderman 2, Alan Wake 2, Sable, God of War Ragnarök. The statement that these games are mediocre or that diversity made them so, is the laughable part.
spiderman 2 is mediocre along with the last of war games, the others i don't know.

Last edited by ZeroFX,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...