Sony plans to launch Gaikai next year in NA

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by GameWinner, Sep 19, 2013.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Remember that service Sony has been talking about since the reveal of the PS4? Gaikai, the service that Sony has planned to bring older games to PS4, PS Vita and the new Vita TV for sometime next year.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Interesting. But here is the rub. Will those games be only available for purchase, or accessible with PS Plus, and will people who own those titles already be able to play them for free? It's the most common complaint with every virtual console / streaming / DLC situation. "The Gaikai streaming for PS4 was supposed to be a replacement for backwards compatibility, but if you have to rebuy all the games again, it's kind of pointless" is how the argument goes, roughly.

3. AngryGeek416

AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 17, 2012
    Argentina
    I don't understand will it play physical ps3 discs? if not that's not backwards compatibility that's just buying all your shit again.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Netflix-like service with the PS3 library? Accessible from the PS4, PS Vita, and PS Vita TV?

Sony-chan, please, my body can't take all this goodness!

Foxi4 likes this.
  5. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I've actually skipped out on the PS3 and there's still a lot of PS3 titles I want to buy and play now that the PS3 console has seen a lot of reduction everywhere. But at the same time, I also want a PS4 and the idea of a Netflix like style of gaming also appeals to me.

Then again, Gaikai isn't going to be launched anytime soon in Europe.

6. Chiverus

Chiverus Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2010
    Canada
    not sure but the way there putting it (comparing it to netflix) makes me think that there's going to be a monthly fee but unlimited play. Which I could get behind. However just to little information right now to say anything solid. I wish there was more details on this already with the console launching it under 2 months. I know the service isnt launching with the PS4 but the details could help them sell more.

7. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I read a little about Gaikai and it can work on a standard non-FIOS connection provided you get 3 mbps but 5 mbps+ is recommended, I believe it's more for the Xbox One and the cloud features.

8. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    He compared the library to Netflix... Not the service or business model...

9. Chiejina

Chiejina GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    United States
    Jesus dont get my hopes up. Thanks for bringing me back to reality wrettcaughn. And I have alot of game i wanna play on the ps3 but only have a vita. I would love to be able to stream them on that. Also plan on getting a PS4 so things are looking pretty good.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Ballin', innit? B-)

Seriously though, this is great news. I hope that the trial grounds of North America will allow Sony to iron the technology out quickly and implement the service world-wide. Fair enough, you have to re-buy the games since the streamed copy and the standard copy are two different cups of tea, but I hope that also entails a smaller, approachable price. If it works well and lets me play all my favorite PS1/2/3 games on the cheap then I have no objections.