1. 6,939

Front-page
    Sony-2018-19-FY-Results-01-Header.jpg

Sony is set to possibly face legal troubles, regarding how it handles digital game sales. A class-action lawsuit is in the process of being filed, attempting to take action against Sony's alleged monopoly over digital game sales on its platform. In 2019, the company stopped allowing retailers to sell digital vouchers of PlayStation Store titles, and according to the lawsuit, this means Sony can charge whatever it pleases for its games, potentially hurting consumers due to a lack of market competition.

The suit also alleges that there have been instances where consumers have had to pay 175% more for a digital copy than a physical one. For right now, the class-action lawsuit is only being proposed, and if it moves forward, it'll be filed in San Francisco, California, under the case of Caccuri v. Sony Interactive Entertainment, in the US District Court of Northern California.

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg

xdanekai, Henx, ILuvGames and 35 others like this.
  2. Discussion (121 replies)

3. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Damn, everyone is suing everyone.
    Is this year the suing simulator year?

Last edited by Skelletonike, May 6, 2021
    AboodXD, felix.200, mathew77 and 19 others like this.
  4. zupi

zupi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Oh for a moment I thought this meant Square enix, Capcom and others would finally be able to release their ps1 games in other platforms without having to remake or remaster and rerelease them as a new thing

I wanna play ps1/2 games on my switch, but it seems Sony keeps them on a very tight leash....

Snintendog likes this.
  5. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    I say good big Corps think they can do what they want especially when it comes to digital :nayps3:

6. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Okay... Cool...

I dont know what this may lead to... But, it can be good??

7. tabzer

tabzer Newbie

Japan
    I'm torn, but I can see myself adapting to either outcome.

8. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Yay for consumer protection

9. Flame

Flame Me > You

suing simulator? THAT'S MY IDEA!

im suing you..

10. Blasingame

Blasingame GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if Capcom's Ace Attorney games weren't enough to get your court room fix, i guess there should be an Attorney simulator game.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Endless Trash
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Sony is in the wrong here, even if they're following the status quo. You can go to any video game store and buy a digital copy of a video game in the form of a code receipt - this is applicable to Microsoft, Nintendo and, until recently, Sony. I've never seen it as advantageous as the prices usually stick to the original MSRP, but it does preclude game stores from selling digital copies of titles that they used to be able to sell. As far as I'm concerned there should be no difference between selling physical copies and digital codes - software is software, the method of obtaining it should be immaterial. If I have a valid code for a software download, I should be able to sell said code to another user if I so choose. The legal kerfuffle here is licensing - it is unclear if I hold a license for the software prior to redeeming the code. Technically I don't - I get to agree to the software license at the point of redemption. With that said, that should make Sony even more removed from the transaction - if this is the case, I'm selling a piece of paper with a number on it, it just so happens that the number is active on their network and leads to a copy of software.

12. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I think they will end up having to change the way digital stores work, and the amount of control sony and others have over digital titles. I shouldnt lose access to all my games if I do something to piss sony off. I also understand that sony sells the hardware at a loss and their business model relies on royalties.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

True, and sony (and others) have been charging people for games that just run on an emulator instead of offering bc for a disk copy. They also started the trend of changing config settings of a game and calling it a "remaster". God of war collection was exactly the same as on ps2, but it rendered at 720p... which pcsx2 shows can be done easily within seconds.

Last edited by kevin corms, May 6, 2021
    StrayGuitarist, krakenx and guisadop like this.
  13. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Sri Lanka
    Great, hope this goes through.

MeAndHax likes this.
  14. diggeloid

diggeloid GBAtemp Regular

United States
    All of these anti-trust lawsuits lately are great and I hope they continue. Lots of companies (especially tech) are guilty of anti-competitive bullshit that hurt consumers, society, and innovation.

15. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If devs wish to release its old titles on other platforms, sony does not prevent them.

Fuck me, look at all the old games thats been ported over to the switch, that makes up probably 90% of its games (not indy mobile app crap)

16. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Japan
    hur derp, this is going to far, every fucking thing is "muhnopuhly" or "anti-trust!!11!", it will be the butthurtry of the decade, will only become worse.

BLsquared likes this.
  17. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    Tech industry sailed on unregulated seas for too long. Legislators took decades to understand how things works, but techs are now starting to be obliged to comply with the laws, like all of us do.

Since this is the Internet, don't hurt to say the obvious: the anti consumer practices here is not restricted to Sony, and a development on cases like this touch every gamer regardless of the platform.

64bitmodels likes this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    LOL steam has gotten away with doing this for years! late to the party sony :P

19. CloudStrife190100

CloudStrife190100 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    £45 for retail and £65-70 for digital........ I'll stick to the cheaper option

codezer0 and yoyoyo69 like this.
  20. Seliph

Seliph Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

United States
    If this means I can get Bloodborne on PC then I'm all for it baybee

21. kenenthk

kenenthk Village Idiot

Burkina Faso
    Here's 2 million we lost over that law suit, here's another 2 years waiting for your ps5s cuz we lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - exclusively, PlayStation, limiting