Epic Games wins lawsuit against Google and its app store policies

236883_Epic_Vs_Google_B_CVirginia.jpg

Epic Games has achieved a significant victory when it comes to an on-going lawsuit between them and Google's policies regarding their app store fees.

The lawsuit was started by Epic back in August of 2020, when both Apple and Google started removing Epic's most popular title, Fortnite, from their store fronts, given that Epic was managing micro transactions (V-Bucks) from within the game itself, and up until August of 2020, if the game was installed through either Apple's or Google's App Stores, these sales prompted a cut through the app store, which some cite as being a "tax" from both Apple/Google. After the mentioned date, Epic Games launched an update which basically bypassed the app store fees, and made in-game purchases free from said cut. Google and Apple were quick catching up to this update, and both opted to kick Fortnite from their store fronts altogether.

Since then, Epic Games followed suit and sued both Apple and Google for their store front policies and fees. As it stands today, only the Apple case got an appeal which ruled in favour of Apple itself some time ago, but the case is still open, with a Supreme Court review waiting to happen. That leaves the other lawsuit against Google to be tackled, which is what a jury gave a verdict on December 11th, 2023. However, this time the verdict was different from what we saw on the Apple case.

The jury gave a verdict in favour of Epic Games, ruling that Google Play's app store and its Google Play billing service was essentially an illegal monopoly for consumers and developers alike, hurting Epic as a result of these anti-competitive practices. However, Google doesn't plan to go down just yet with that verdict, as their vice president, Wilson White, plans to appeal the verdict, so the case will still remain open until further notice.

:arrow: Source

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There have been a lot of fanboys defending the console corporations, but surely Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo should be made to open up to other store fronts too. This is especially true in the case of Apple.

Reactions: Sir Tortoise

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get it either.

My understanding is that the court mostly let Apple off the hook because although they require 30%, they're not dictating what the appstore prices have to be. In other words, the developer is free to adjust their prices to account for the 30% Apple takes.
I don't understand why they side with Apple but not with Google
Not that I care, they all suck ass, but it doesn't seem very coherent

Apple, closed system where you basically can't install apps outside the appstore, Apple forcing their payment system on it : it's fine
Google, open system where you can sideload anything you want, Google still forcing their payment system on the Playstore : it's not ok ?
Even tho Fortnite is available on android but Epic is crying because it was a total flop compared to the iOS version ?

I just don't feel like it would be a good idea to allow anyone to use whatever payment system they'd like on the playstore, especially Epic's. Their security is actually so dogshit I just won't give them my card.
it'll have been different judges, and they wouldn't allow facts fro. the other case in the deliberartions. epic could have made better arguments, given what happened with apple.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it'll have been different judges, and they wouldn't allow facts fro. the other case in the deliberartions. epic could have made better arguments, given what happened with apple.
will they "appeal" the judgement? (idk if it's the right word?)

b_effort

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Consider that this doesn't give epic some exclusive benefit. This only hurts google and benefits everyone else. I think this is good for the industry overall and we'll hopefully see that 30% fee come down (maybe not, but it's not any less likely to happen than before).

Who cares if it's epic games, the positive is that this that it has both broken the shield of google's monopoly and also set a legal precedent to help break up other tech storefront monopolies.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've tried to install Fortnite on my phone, I can't even log in : it opens the browser, I login through it, but it still asks if I already have an account in a loop.

So say whatever you want, but at least with fucking Google it works properly and I can play
Post automatically merged:

This only hurts google and benefits everyone else.
I still fail to see how
It hurts Google, for sure. Can't see how that'll benefit the consumer. Again, I'd rather have the Google system when I download through the playstore, and not have anything to do with them if I download elsewhere on F-droid or whatever.
Epic's stuff barely works, if they really want to have their own payment system I'd find it confusing to not use Google Pay through the Playstore especially if it's less secure, which is something I can't trust Epic with since they released their store on PC.

I always see people talking about how « monopolies hurts the consumer in the end » but not only I see that I can absolutely download and buy apps outside the playstore, I fail to see how these particular situations are actually hurting me. If I put myself in the future with Epic launching it's apps on the playstore with their own systems implemented I can't imagine the future being better in that regard. That's why I'm wondering what makes you think it'll be better.

Last edited by LightBeam,

Luke94

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've tried to install Fortnite on my phone, I can't even log in : it opens the browser, I login through it, but it still asks if I already have an account in a loop.

So say whatever you want, but at least with fucking Google it works properly and I can play
Post automatically merged:

I still fail to see how
It hurts Google, for sure. Can't see how that'll benefit the consumer. Again, I'd rather have the Google system when I download through the playstore, and not have anything to do with them if I download elsewhere on F-droid or whatever.
Epic's stuff barely works, if they really want to have their own payment system I'd find it confusing to not use Google Pay through the Playstore especially if it's less secure, which is something I can't trust Epic with since they released their store on PC.

I always see people talking about how « monopolies hurts the consumer in the end » but not only I see that I can absolutely download and buy apps outside the playstore, I fail to see how these particular situations are actually hurting me. If I put myself in the future with Epic launching it's apps on the playstore with their own systems implemented I can't imagine the future being better in that regard. That's why I'm wondering what makes you think it'll be better.
Had you tried for instance Jazz Jackrabbit iOS Kismet Tutorial computer game or not? I guess at least Epic Games won't consider even porting such video game mobile game tech demo officially...etc.
I saw somewhere in YouTube tech demo preview of Unreal Tournament 4 at least unofficial,fanmade mobile port.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Had you tried for instance Jazz Jackrabbit iOS Kismet Tutorial computer game or not? I guess at least Epic Games won't consider even porting such video game mobile game tech demo officially...etc.
I saw somewhere in YouTube tech demo preview of Unreal Tournament 4 at least unofficial,fanmade mobile port.
I haven't but as a huge fan of Unreal Tournament, what I'm waiting for since now they're doing a bunch of modes for Fortnite (racing, festival etc) is an Unreal Fortnitement mode that'll probably run like garbage, just like the racing mode with full-on desync

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest problem with this is that, unlike Apple, you can install third party app stores. Yes you have to jump through a couple of hoops, but nothing too severe.

The only real claim they can make is that consumers choose Play store over the alternatives, but I'm sure something like Fornite would entice kids to scream at their parents to install it on their phones.

Also, I find it rich that Epic complains about Google "bribing" devs, considering EGS exclusivity deals.
I believe the dispute hinges on conflating payment method with store. iirc Epic was unhappy that apps on the Play store can't use credit card billing and must use Google IAPs, where Google takes a huge cut. Seems a legit grievance to me.

I expect this is mostly about setting a precedent for their battle with Apple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto