Epic Games wins lawsuit against Google and its app store policies

236883_Epic_Vs_Google_B_CVirginia.jpg

Epic Games has achieved a significant victory when it comes to an on-going lawsuit between them and Google's policies regarding their app store fees.

The lawsuit was started by Epic back in August of 2020, when both Apple and Google started removing Epic's most popular title, Fortnite, from their store fronts, given that Epic was managing micro transactions (V-Bucks) from within the game itself, and up until August of 2020, if the game was installed through either Apple's or Google's App Stores, these sales prompted a cut through the app store, which some cite as being a "tax" from both Apple/Google. After the mentioned date, Epic Games launched an update which basically bypassed the app store fees, and made in-game purchases free from said cut. Google and Apple were quick catching up to this update, and both opted to kick Fortnite from their store fronts altogether.

Since then, Epic Games followed suit and sued both Apple and Google for their store front policies and fees. As it stands today, only the Apple case got an appeal which ruled in favour of Apple itself some time ago, but the case is still open, with a Supreme Court review waiting to happen. That leaves the other lawsuit against Google to be tackled, which is what a jury gave a verdict on December 11th, 2023. However, this time the verdict was different from what we saw on the Apple case.

The jury gave a verdict in favour of Epic Games, ruling that Google Play's app store and its Google Play billing service was essentially an illegal monopoly for consumers and developers alike, hurting Epic as a result of these anti-competitive practices. However, Google doesn't plan to go down just yet with that verdict, as their vice president, Wilson White, plans to appeal the verdict, so the case will still remain open until further notice.

:arrow: Source

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My opinion fits in two sentences here (and that rarely happens):
  1. Install stuff from other sources than the big safe™ and secure™ app store(s) to get around shady TOS
  2. A device that doesn't allow 1. is scrap electronics and should be avoided

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest problem with this is that, unlike Apple, you can install third party app stores. Yes you have to jump through a couple of hoops, but nothing too severe.

The only real claim they can make is that consumers choose Play store over the alternatives, but I'm sure something like Fornite would entice kids to scream at their parents to install it on their phones.

Also, I find it rich that Epic complains about Google "bribing" devs, considering EGS exclusivity deals.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is such good news. Even if the only outcome is that Google is forced to allow alternate payment processors (as opposed to something more drastic, like allowing alternate appstores directly on Google Play), the result will inevitably be that Google is forced to lower their obscene 30% fee to something reasonable. Once that happens, I think we'll start seeing that propagate to other stores like iOS and Steam. More money for devs, more options for consumers, less power to the digital tax collectors.

Dark_Ansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is such good news. Even if the only outcome is that Google is forced to allow alternate payment processors (as opposed to something more drastic, like allowing alternate appstores directly on Google Play), the result will inevitably be that Google is forced to lower their obscene 30% fee to something reasonable. Once that happens, I think we'll start seeing that propagate to other stores like iOS and Steam. More money for devs, more options for consumers, less power to the digital tax collectors.
LOL this is a hot take

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not final ruling until US Supreme Court decides to take and issue the ruling.

What happens with appeals court, especially 9th circuit got many of their rulings reversed by US Supreme Court.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't understand why they side with Apple but not with Google
Not that I care, they all suck ass, but it doesn't seem very coherent

Apple, closed system where you basically can't install apps outside the appstore, Apple forcing their payment system on it : it's fine
Google, open system where you can sideload anything you want, Google still forcing their payment system on the Playstore : it's not ok ?
Even tho Fortnite is available on android but Epic is crying because it was a total flop compared to the iOS version ?

I just don't feel like it would be a good idea to allow anyone to use whatever payment system they'd like on the playstore, especially Epic's. Their security is actually so dogshit I just won't give them my card.

Dontuuch17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why they side with Apple but not with Google
Not that I care, they all suck ass, but it doesn't seem very coherent

Apple, closed system where you basically can't install apps outside the appstore, Apple forcing their payment system on it : it's fine
Google, open system where you can sideload anything you want, Google still forcing their payment system on the Playstore : it's not ok ?
Even tho Fortnite is available on android but Epic is crying because it was a total flop compared to the iOS version ?

I just don't feel like it would be a good idea to allow anyone to use whatever payment system they'd like on the playstore, especially Epic's. Their security is actually so dogshit I just won't give them my card.
I don't get it either.

My understanding is that the court mostly let Apple off the hook because although they require 30%, they're not dictating what the appstore prices have to be. In other words, the developer is free to adjust their prices to account for the 30% Apple takes.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just cements the fact that, as a society, we are doomed.
O really, How? Yeah that's right be a massive doomer, doing Tang Ping or even 摆烂; aka "LET IT ROT"! How crystal clear of you to give up and let the situation fall apart and deteriorate. *sigh*
Your choice.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
O really, How? Yeah that's right be a massive doomer, doing Tang Ping or even 摆烂; aka "LET IT ROT"! How crystal clear of you to give up and let the situation fall apart and deteriorate. *sigh*
Your choice.
If that's how you interpret my words, that's on you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto