Apple is being sued for antitrust violations by the Department of Justice of the US

Screenshot from 2024-03-21 08-41-22.png

The 2nd biggest technology company in the world, Apple, is being sued by none other than the Department of Justice of the United States, filed for antitrust violations according to the lawsuit.

The suit will be filed in a federal court in New Jersey, and according to people involved in the matter, the lawsuit could take place as soon as today, but it remains to be seen. This lawsuit comes alongside a surplus of other lawsuits and antitrust violations in the technology space, with other examples being the lawsuit against Google for monopolization and app store policies, and other lawsuits against Meta and Amazon in the same vein, and even Apple itself is also a target in Europe due to plausible anticompetitive behaviour regarding its app store and shutting down apparent rivals from it.

The pivotal point for this lawsuit comes from the claim that Apple is "unlawfully violating antitrust laws by blocking rivals from accessing hardware and software features of its iPhone", as well as other breaches.

As of the time of writing, neither Apple nor the DOJ have given any comments regarding the lawsuit.

:arrow: Source

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Damn Apple, getting into issues with the US! Thank GOODNESS I now am a Proud Samsung User.

Edit: To people that didnt read responses following through, you don't have to tell me that Samsung is a shitty company: I know that already. I've said what I've said because of how I've had it for a while and it worked better than any iPhone that I've had.

Last edited by DragonMals,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn Apple, getting into issues with the US! Thank GOODNESS I now am a Proud Samsung User.

Apple is surely getting it rough, and with good cause, they're one of the most anticonsumer companies out there, glad to see that there's actions being taken for their draconian bs.
Hope Nintendo is next :^}

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Apple is surely getting it rough, and with good cause, they're one of the most anticonsumer companies out there, glad to see that there's actions being taken for their draconian bs.
Hope Nintendo is next :^}

They should get Microsoft 😭 They **recently** had a lawsuit for selling user's data. Although Nintendo would be quite nice, at least they make decent games for the Switch. All they need to do is to stop DMCA'ing Emulators.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But, but, but… anybody agreed on the TOS when signing up. And it is all about security with the walled garden app store and the DRM spare parts! Think of the children!
So no problem with their shitty behavior.

D*amn. Somehow any big company becomes evil at some point. Apple is a prime example for being evil.

Hope Nintendo is next
Yes. Force them to provide sideloading apps on Switch!
No, not a joke. Providing a method for executing own code on a paid computer should be mandatory.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sideloading like Apple will be doing... Alternative app stores they control and monetize. lol

Don't jinx it. Samsung makes good phones/tablets, but in my case their buggy software update has made the near top of the phone unusable so I'm still waiting for an update to fix that.

This'll be my final Samsung phone I ever own.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Don't jinx it. Samsung makes good phones/tablets, but in my case their buggy software update has made the near top of the phone unusable so I'm still waiting for an update to fix that.

That is true, Samsung has been known for deliberately copying Apple's hardware changes after mocking them for it. I remember when they've done it to the Headphone jack and then to removing the charger when you get a new phone.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is true, Samsung has been known for deliberately copying Apple's hardware changes after mocking them for it. I remember when they've done it to the Headphone jack and then to removing the charger when you get a new phone.

I dont blame samsung for that I blame the millions of people who still spent thousands of dollars on phones that didn't have those. If we are being fair why would Samsung keep doing stuff that the money shows only makes them spend more money when you can just not do them and people will still throw money at them. That's really all it is people have shown they will buy anti consumer trash and spend money from their own pockets to fix a problem they themselves endorsed when they started buying phones that came with no chargers, no SD card slots and no headphone jacks.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Ironically Samsung is one of the better companies when it comes to updates, even the lower/mid end A34 is getting 5 years of security updates (from when it launched).

Support length was one of the reasons I bought from Apple in the past over Android.

Not saying issues don't happen though, one update for my old Siii made me downgrade because it was so bad (I had just started a new job so phone access was important). These days I usually wait at least a week before updating anything if I can because by then I'd expect to hear reports of any issues.

Edit: Double checked and my initial source seems to be wrong, the A34 gets 4 years minimum of support whilst certain other models get 5:
https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

J-Will

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank god I don't have an iPhone, only an Amazon Fire Tablet. (I sometimes use the black iPhone that is rarely used by my parents and me only if I get permission from my parents)

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
I dont blame samsung for that I blame the millions of people who still spent thousands of dollars on phones that didn't have those. If we are being fair why would Samsung keep doing stuff that the money shows only makes them spend more money when you can just not do them and people will still throw money at them. That's really all it is people have shown they will buy anti consumer trash and spend money from their own pockets to fix a problem they themselves endorsed when they started buying phones that came with no chargers, no SD card slots and no headphone Jack's.

I believe that what's making people continually buy their products is because of the new features that you get from having it. I'm not going to lie, even I fell into that trap when getting the A50. I wished that I can get a phone that's a newer android model that is relatively cheap but can handle a bunch of stuff and like always, it's always hard to find that type of stuff.

DragonMals

Trophies
Country
United States
Support length was one of the reasons I bought from Apple in the past over Android.

Are you sure about that? Last time I've checked, Samsung stated to make their newer phones discontinued and everything. I looked at the S23 and already saw that it discontinued on favor of the S24. I might check again but still

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure about that? Last time I've checked, Samsung stated to make their newer phones discontinued and everything. I looked at the S23 and already saw that it discontinued on favor of the S24. I might check again but still

I was referring to software updates:
https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

Note: I double checked and the A34 is only guaranteed for 4 years of updates when I looked elsewhere.

Sorry, I thought you were joking because Fire devices are known for being relatively locked down. You can still sideload but on my Fire 10 I had to use the Facebook app of all things to install Google services.

Amazon have also been locking down certain features of Fire OS on Fire Sticks:
https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-blo...-warning-and-giving-developers-the-runaround/

Reactions: slaphappygamer

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, but, but… anybody agreed on the TOS when signing up. And it is all about security with the walled garden app store and the DRM spare parts! Think of the children!
So no problem with their shitty behavior.

D*amn. Somehow any big company becomes evil at some point. Apple is a prime example for being evil.

No, not a joke. Providing a method for executing own code on a paid computer should be mandatory.
Apple was scum from day 1, just like Microsoft they stole their technology from xerox

AndorfRequissa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the courts are a wierd place for technology to be decided because humans are picking and chosing winners and losers. alot of things are unethical when theres 1000 different versions of ethics when it comes to human scum that run the courts. it just depends on how much money u got and how much money can be taken from you.

apple has been doing this for years. but they had too much money and power. now that they are starting to struggle the vulture lawyers come in and do what they should have done years ago if they were actually competitent lawyers.

there is no such thing as competition. look at how nintendo uses the courts compared to this case. its complete apples and oranges but the chaos and complete opposite sides of the nature show just how biased this whole thing is.

humans and there bias have ruined court systems imo

Reactions: Aristeia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto