Epic Games wins lawsuit against Google and its app store policies

236883_Epic_Vs_Google_B_CVirginia.jpg

Epic Games has achieved a significant victory when it comes to an on-going lawsuit between them and Google's policies regarding their app store fees.

The lawsuit was started by Epic back in August of 2020, when both Apple and Google started removing Epic's most popular title, Fortnite, from their store fronts, given that Epic was managing micro transactions (V-Bucks) from within the game itself, and up until August of 2020, if the game was installed through either Apple's or Google's App Stores, these sales prompted a cut through the app store, which some cite as being a "tax" from both Apple/Google. After the mentioned date, Epic Games launched an update which basically bypassed the app store fees, and made in-game purchases free from said cut. Google and Apple were quick catching up to this update, and both opted to kick Fortnite from their store fronts altogether.

Since then, Epic Games followed suit and sued both Apple and Google for their store front policies and fees. As it stands today, only the Apple case got an appeal which ruled in favour of Apple itself some time ago, but the case is still open, with a Supreme Court review waiting to happen. That leaves the other lawsuit against Google to be tackled, which is what a jury gave a verdict on December 11th, 2023. However, this time the verdict was different from what we saw on the Apple case.

The jury gave a verdict in favour of Epic Games, ruling that Google Play's app store and its Google Play billing service was essentially an illegal monopoly for consumers and developers alike, hurting Epic as a result of these anti-competitive practices. However, Google doesn't plan to go down just yet with that verdict, as their vice president, Wilson White, plans to appeal the verdict, so the case will still remain open until further notice.

:arrow: Source

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe the dispute hinges on conflating payment method with store. iirc Epic was unhappy that apps on the Play store can't use credit card billing and must use Google IAPs, where Google takes a huge cut. Seems a legit grievance to me.

I expect this is mostly about setting a precedent for their battle with Apple.

Epic has already sued Apple:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games_v._Apple

As I said, my biggest issue is that Epic isn't FORCED to use the Play Store like they are with Apple (the latter I can fully understand), unless they presented evidence that they can't realistically compete without a presence on the Play Store.

Bearing in mind, they have presence on the Samsung Galaxy Store and their own website shows you how to side load the app, which IMO is relatively easy.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Epic has already sued Apple:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games_v._Apple

As I said, my biggest issue is that Epic isn't FORCED to use the Play Store like they are with Apple (the latter I can fully understand), unless they presented evidence that they can't realistically compete without a presence on the Play Store.

Bearing in mind, they have presence on the Samsung Galaxy Store and their own website shows you how to side load the app, which IMO is relatively easy.
That's a different topic.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
That's a different topic.

I still consider it relevant because the ability to sideload and use different market places is a potential defence Google has against Epic, i.e. 'if you don't like it, go elsewhere'.

If Epic can show it isn't viable then that could potentially shoot it down.

AWRstrnt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Epic Games has achieved a significant victory when it comes to an on-going lawsuit between them and Google's policies regarding their app store fees.

The lawsuit was started by Epic back in August of 2020, when both Apple and Google started removing Epic's most popular title, Fortnite, from their store fronts, given that Epic was managing micro transactions (V-Bucks) from within the game itself, and up until August of 2020, if the game was installed through either Apple's or Google's App Stores, these sales prompted a cut through the app store, which some cite as being a "tax" from both Apple/Google. After the mentioned date, Epic Games launched an update which basically bypassed the app store fees, and made in-game purchases free from said cut. Google and Apple were quick catching up to this update, and both opted to kick Fortnite from their store fronts altogether.

Since then, Epic Games followed suit and sued both Apple and Google for their store front policies and fees. As it stands today, only the Apple case got an appeal which ruled in favour of Apple itself some time ago, but the case is still open, with a Supreme Court review waiting to happen. That leaves the other lawsuit against Google to be tackled, which is what a jury gave a verdict on December 11th, 2023. However, this time the verdict was different from what we saw on the Apple case.

The jury gave a verdict in favour of Epic Games, ruling that Google Play's app store and its Google Play billing service was essentially an illegal monopoly for consumers and developers alike, hurting Epic as a result of these anti-competitive practices. However, Google doesn't plan to go down just yet with that verdict, as their vice president, Wilson White, plans to appeal the verdict, so the case will still remain open until further notice.

:arrow: Source
Still can't believe Fortnite made it to the Supreme Court

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto