Sony may be sued over limiting its digital game sales exclusively to the PlayStation Store

Sony-2018-19-FY-Results-01-Header.jpg

Sony is set to possibly face legal troubles, regarding how it handles digital game sales. A class-action lawsuit is in the process of being filed, attempting to take action against Sony's alleged monopoly over digital game sales on its platform. In 2019, the company stopped allowing retailers to sell digital vouchers of PlayStation Store titles, and according to the lawsuit, this means Sony can charge whatever it pleases for its games, potentially hurting consumers due to a lack of market competition.

Sony's monopoly allows it to charge supracompetitive prices for digital PlayStation games, which are significantly higher than their physical counterparts sold in a competitive retail market, and significantly higher than they would be in a competitive retail market for digital games.

The suit also alleges that there have been instances where consumers have had to pay 175% more for a digital copy than a physical one. For right now, the class-action lawsuit is only being proposed, and if it moves forward, it'll be filed in San Francisco, California, under the case of Caccuri v. Sony Interactive Entertainment, in the US District Court of Northern California.

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’d love to see the caselaw they’re going to cite for this cause of action.

I have a hard time seeing this being successful.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
10 dollars for dragon quest builders 2 at Walmart. 50 dollars on psn. Glad I didn't get the digital edition ps5.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10 dollars for dragon quest builders 2 at Walmart. 50 dollars on psn. Glad I didn't get the digital edition ps5.

Great. I have a disc PS5 as well, but there are also instances in which a physical copy of a rare game can cost hundreds (or thousands) & the digital copy on PSN is $5 bucks. There's also PSN sales all the time and I've gotten tons of games for less than a used hard copy would have cost. Tons.

Last edited by D34DL1N3R,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah their sales just dont make any sense either unless its a seasonal or game company deals. You'll see games from 2017-2018 still at $60 while a 1yr old game gets a discount. Digital ps5 owners are screwed- imagine not being able to buy cheaper used games.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah their sales just dont make any sense either unless its a seasonal or game company deals. You'll see games from 2017-2018 still at $60 while a 1yr old game gets a discount. Digital ps5 owners are screwed- imagine not being able to buy cheaper used games.

As I've stated above, I've bought TONS of games on PSN for less than a used physical copy.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Sony is in the wrong here, even if they're following the status quo. You can go to any video game store and buy a digital copy of a video game in the form of a code receipt - this is applicable to Microsoft, Nintendo and, until recently, Sony. I've never seen it as advantageous as the prices usually stick to the original MSRP, but it does preclude game stores from selling digital copies of titles that they used to be able to sell. As far as I'm concerned there should be no difference between selling physical copies and digital codes - software is software, the method of obtaining it should be immaterial. If I have a valid code for a software download, I should be able to sell said code to another user if I so choose. The legal kerfuffle here is licensing - it is unclear if I hold a license for the software prior to redeeming the code. Technically I don't - I get to agree to the software license at the point of redemption. With that said, that should make Sony even more removed from the transaction - if this is the case, I'm selling a piece of paper with a number on it, it just so happens that the number is active on their network and leads to a copy of software.
Maybe block chain?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So are we going to be able to buy PS5 games on the Nintendo online store lol?

This makes no sense... It's like a car dealership was being sued for selling their own brand of cars. This is madness.

i think you both misunderstood

i quote:-

"digital PlayStation games, which are significantly higher than their physical counterparts sold in a competitive retail market"

its about money.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
i think you both misunderstood

i quote:-

"digital PlayStation games, which are significantly higher than their physical counterparts sold in a competitive retail market"

its about money.
So they're selling the games digitally for too much?

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Honestly this really doesn't make sense for a litigation case... they aren't obligated to sell the voucher codes to retailers... heck they are lucky that they receive physical copies of games with how the digital age is being pushed so hard. A digital storefront is a digital storefront for a reason.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in all seriousness can anyone name 1 game above MSRP on SEN? if anything the feds should be suing sony/MS/Nintendo over not taxing their digital goods like how ebay and them got slammed

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
This looks like Sony being sued because they won't allow someone like GameStop to sell codes for games on PSN.

So, like, the only place you can buy legit games for your discless ps5 is Sony. I'd be pissed about that if I was anyone other than Sony, too.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I say good big Corps think they can do what they want especially when it comes to digital :nayps3:

I only play analog video games.

D

Deleted User

in all seriousness can anyone name 1 game above MSRP on SEN? if anything the feds should be suing sony/MS/Nintendo over not taxing their digital goods like how ebay and them got slammed
you live in an area where nintendo doesn't add taxes on top of overpriced games? i'm jealous

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.