Sonic Team at work on new Sonic game, will be shown later this year

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

And to think, they just announced Sonic Boom. I have to say, this was... speedy.

:arrow:My Nintendo News

Because if there's one thing the Sonic franchise has suffered from, it's a lack of games. Yup.

So, yeah. If you were worried that Sonic Boom was the sole direction for the franchise, you can take comfort in the fact that Sega will find entirely new ways to disappoint you.

xwatchmanx likes this.

2. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Uhh... could it be that leaked(news) Next gen Sonic game? And now with next gen i mean Wii U too :P

3. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    As long Sega doesn't use the Sonic Boom design, I am okay with it. :P
    Since they are using the traditional look and mechanics, I guess it will be similar to Sonic Generations Modern(Or maybe 2D, who knows, maybe it is Sonic 4 - Episode 3 :P) stuff.
    I bet it will be released for every console platform and maybe it will get a terribad port from Dimps to the 3DS.

4. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Chao Garden or gtfo :glare:

5. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Christ...I know sonic is their mascot and all, but shouldn't they at least TRY to come up with something else than sonic game after sonic game? At least nintendo has an entire library to recycle. :unsure:
    (yeah, I know...sega has a huge library as well...but I guess the members of the "core sonic team" have a contract that prohibits them from ever making a non-sonic game).

6. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    A return to the modern-Sonic style seen in Sonic Generations would be nice, though I would like the game to be a deal longer, and perhaps just a bit more ambitious. Sonic Generations was a fantastic game overall, and it'd be amazing to see it (hopefully) run at a consistent 60 FPS with textures that don't look like shit on consoles (compared to Generations' shit textures and sub-30FPS on the PS3 and 360).

7. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Guh... I'm a sucker for Sonic games, even bad ones. Given their description, I'll remain hopeful that it's something like Generations.

8. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was PS4/One exclusive.

9. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    "Hmm... That image looks suspicious.." *Google reverse image search* "Oh..."

JackSakamoto and bkifft like this.
  10. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    I wish I didn't...

JackSakamoto and bkifft like this.
  11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Comes as no surprise to me - SEGA spilled the beans during a toy fair some time ago and then denied everything, claiming that their official release schedule was "misinformed". Long story short, this is the first Sonic game to be released after SEGA's exclusivity deal ends, it's coming in 2015 if the leak is to be trusted and it's multiplatform, so expect a PS4 and Xbox One release. I'm personally quite happy - recent Sonic games aren't half-bad and I'm eager to see what they have in store for the next gen systems. I'm not lying to myself, the probability of this being a disappointment is high, but hey! Maybe it won't be one! We'll see in a year or so.

chavosaur, xwatchmanx and gamefan5 like this.
  12. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Does this mean they're going back to their side scrolling format? Mario games continue to sell despite this... setback; why shouldn't Sonic games sell the same way in this format? Besides, everyone knows how much fun the 3D Sonic games are. I've played a bunch of them and they certainly were memorable.
    Multiple platform usually means more than two. Otherwise, it's just a platform or a double platform. But I suppose no one actually knows the difference; not even gamers. You've got to have a reasonable amount of intelligence to understand this. Unless... this game is being released for the Wii U, in which case releasing it on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One would make it a multiple platform title.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The word "multiplatform" comes from the Latin multi (multa, multum) which simply means many or numerous. More than one. A 1 on 1 match is still multiplayer, not double-player. There's nothing stopping developers from calling games "triple-platform" or more, but why go through the trouble? Multiplatform is the accepted term for games that appear on more than one platform, there is no middle ground. The game might get a Wii U release, I'll re-check that later as I can't recall the whole list. It is coming to the Wii U as well.

EDIT: Here's the photograph I was referring to:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    "New 2015 title TBA", platforms listed are Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One. Again, multiplatform.

chavosaur and xwatchmanx like this.
  14. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well... Sonic Team made a few games like NiGHTS and Chu Chu Rocket back in the old days.
    But Sega really needs other franchises these days besides Sonic.

T Link7 likes this.
  15. b17bomber

b17bomber GBAtemp Fan

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Ewwww, the full version of that picture.

JackSakamoto, loco365 and bkifft like this.
  16. wangtang32000

wangtang32000 Newcomer

Dec 31, 2009
    United States
    In a Cave in the middle of nowhere.
    hmm i wonder when was the last time Sonic Team themselves worked on a sonic game?

17. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    some here will be angry with me, but Rayman Legends teach all platform games a lesson on how running levels should be. Since Sonic usually is all about running levels, I expect that they copy benchmark ubisoft in some aspects...

18. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Sonic Boom, Sonic Movie, Next Gen Sonic Game, New Sonic Console, New Sega Name: "Sonic".
    from how it looks here *points on Germany* Sega is doing only sonic games. But how it looks here *points at Japan* they have lots of fun stuff you wouldn't usually seega.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  19. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    What if it's Sonic Adventure 3 with Chao Garden?

(Still looking forward to Sonic Boom).

20. matpower

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Well, Sonic Unleashed was planned to be Sonic Adventure 3, but they added other stuff so they scrapped the SA3, so I think we won't see a Sonic Adventure 3 anymore.