• Views 12,281
  • Replies 185
  • Likes 7

cybrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't mind getting this at launch but will give it time to see if SEGA makes a physical release.

The definitive controller to play Sonic Mania on the Switch will be the Pokkén Controller (or 8 Bitdo ones) because it's nearly identical to the Mega Drive / Genesis controllers (closer to the SNES, tho).
Oh shit. You just made my Pokkén controller useful. I was wondering what the fuck that thing was good for and now I can’t imagine going back to directional buttons again.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between this and a review I recently saw, I feel like Sonic Mania is being perceived as a Switch game, when it's on other platforms, I got it on PS4, and the controller for that certainly suits the game. So far I've played through it twice with Sonic, and on my current, third playthrough, I got all the chaos emeralds. Needless to say, it's just like classic Sonic (as in the first three games), I realized while playing that you go so fast in these games that you can't always stop and appreciate the level designs, absolutely incredible, a lot went into it. One major difference I found are the levels are longer, on my first playthrough, I maxed out the time (10 minutes), on a stage. Can't remember which, maybe Titanic Monarch. Like classic Sonic games though, a high replay value, play enough and one will be good at the game (unless they're awesome at the beginning).

It's kind of why I haven't commented too much on the game here, because this thread is on the Switch section, I don't have a damn Switch. Anyways, satisfied my desire to share some opinions. I will conclude that those blue sphere stages, I hate them. I never was good at them in Sonic 3, and I had to do some emulator save state business so I could clear them all since doing so got you all the chaos emeralds I think. Anyways, I haven't looked up cheats, tips, what the unlockables are when you clear all those sphere stages in silver and/or gold. I'd rather be in the dark on that, like the good old days without internet, find that out for myself.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Oh shit. You just made my Pokkén controller useful. I was wondering what the fuck that thing was good for and now I can’t imagine going back to directional buttons again.
I played Sonic Mania on the Switch with the Pokkén controller and it was just like the 16bit days back then. :)

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played Sonic Mania on the Switch with the Pokkén controller and it was just like the 16bit days back then. :)
I wanted something like this too but since nos switch, what I can have is a GC controller on PC (if a friend lend me his adapter lol)else a generic usb one that looks like a ps2...
But still not sure if I should buy it now or wat price drop ..
gettinga generic snes/megadrive usb is not that much too hahaha

cybrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted something like this too but since nos switch, what I can have is a GC controller on PC (if a friend lend me his adapter lol)else a generic usb one that looks like a ps2...
But still not sure if I should buy it now or wat price drop ..
gettinga generic snes/megadrive usb is not that much too hahaha
If you care enough to want to use a Genesis/MegaDrive Controller on your PC, you’re better off with a real Sega-brand controller and an adapter. I don’t know about you, but I’m really picky about how my controller feels.

But if you don’t care that you’re actually using a controller shaped exactly like the original, get a Pokkén controller. Yes, for your PC. It feels better than nearly any generic USB digital controller with that number of buttons, and it’s less than $20.

I mean, put it this way, the Pokkén controller’s D-Pad is better than the one in the Pro Controller, ffs.

Reactions: Sliter

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you care enough to want to use a Genesis/MegaDrive Controller on your PC, you’re better off with a real Sega-brand controller and an adapter. I don’t know about you, but I’m really picky about how my controller feels.

But if you don’t care that you’re actually using a controller shaped exactly like the original, get a Pokkén controller. Yes, for your PC. It feels better than nearly any generic USB digital controller with that number of buttons, and it’s less than $20.

I mean, put it this way, the Pokkén controller’s D-Pad is better than the one in the Pro Controller, ffs.
less about quality, more about hurry and affordable XD but you are really right.. I don't have much experience with generic controllers than one wii classic pro (that actually was pretty good :v) and two USB ps1 and other ps2(analogs and stuff) shaped and a very old pc idk shaped that computers don't even have that plug anymore XD
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-30 at 20.46.12.jpeg
this thing lol actually I won this because had no Dpad, I improvised a stick there and played some GBA games lololo old times this Dpad is recent, I found 2 bootleg famiclones controllers and put there, never used but I'm sure this gonna break with some action :v

the ps1 shaped one is that
WhatsApp Image 2017-08-30 at 20.42.02.jpeg
(and this is the improvised stick)
Mainly used for ragnarok battle ofline and grandchase, some snes games too.This had an megadrive-like Dpad but broke with action, was the only con about this one, I used the orange famiclones Dpad but it was worse, broken like a.. stick lol but in general it was pretty good actually, maybe I try to get a good one to replace it someday.

The ps2 like is USB as well but the Dpad was kinda hard, I finished Gunvolt with it with some pain haha
The Pokkén controller really looks good, but since I don't play that much on computer (and don't have a wiiu or switch and not getting any soon I guess), so Idk if I gonna use that much, this is why I was thinking on the affordable route lolol

I have an original old original megadrive's controller still today but it's contacts rubbers was destroyed long ago, would be nice to revive that controller ... but don't looks that these are cheaper than a good controller like pokkén's

Last edited by Sliter,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1