The best video game trailers of all time?

a58L0qHZ6x.jpg

Video game trailers are surely one of the most - if not the most - important things to get right when launching a new video game. They say first impressions are everything; so if you don't knock it out of the park with the trailer for your latest game - what are you even doing?

We've come a long way from the cheesy video game trailers of the past and now video game trailers can be great showcases for the games they're advertising, from tongue-in-cheek, playful ones that seem to understand their target audience, to the epic blockbuster-style trailers that would give most Hollywood movies a run for their money.

A good trailer can build hype regardless of the final games quality and perhaps even set expectations that the final game could struggle to reach, but at the end of the day, all gamers appreciate a great trailer.

When I think of truly great video game trailers, there are two specific ones that I am always reminded of and that I personally consider two of the greatest.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer

During Nintendo's long-awaited Nintendo Switch 2017 reveal event viewers were treated to the ever-great "one more thing" before the event drew to a close and Nintendo dropped the first proper story trailer for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

With its swelling orchestral score and perfectly paced, climactic editing that gave us our best look at the game yet, the trailer wowed audiences and reached a 27M view count on YouTube with over 434K likes and was no doubt responsible for a swathe of Switch pre-orders.

Sonic Mania Pre-Order Trailer

The hype leading up to Sonic Mania's release was truly unique as SEGA was riding high on the goodwill created by handing over development of a proper successor to the original 2D Sonic games to a handful of devoted and talented fans - people that audiences knew could be trusted to do things right.

The Sonic Mania pre-order trailer is particularly special with its beautiful hand drawn animation and music that manages to tug just right at the heartstrings. With an excellent build-up of gameplay timed to the beat of the music and some nostalgic nods - this trailer truly did everything right and further proved that the team behind it knew exactly what they were doing.

What are your favourite video game trailers?

Let us know below and be sure to tell us why!

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a true trailer but a tech demo

I remember thinking this was the coolest video with the best graphics ever

Hard to imagine now, but GameCube graphics used to look top notch, and the idea of playing a whole GameCube Zelda was mind blowing

I remember being salty about Wind Waker for a while and its cell shading being "childish" - but I have really come around to WW and of course that style aged way better than this

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My pick is going to be very divisive, but I present to you… Syndicate (2012):

Say what you will about the game itself, or EA “betraying the roots of the franchise” by making it a first-person shooter, but the trailer hits hard and really demonstrates a dystopian future where superhuman corporate agents walk the streets.

The song is a good bop too. T’was a different time…

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember seeing the trailer to X-Men Rise of the Apocalypse, and thought graphics never looked so real, aaahh..
As an X-Men fan, it was inconceivable, to play as Magneto lifting things up & tossing them around, or changing appearance with Mystique, & Wolverine etc. Of course the game was nowhere near as i imagined when i played it (unrealistic at the time tbh), but still the game wasn't so bad & had fun with it.

Also 007 From Russia with Love, i was so hooked once i saw the FMV cutscene of the first tutorial mission, had to get both games that same weekend..

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember seeing the trailer to X-Men Rise of the Apocalypse, and thought graphics never looked so real, aaahh..
As an X-Men fan, it was inconceivable, to play as Magneto lifting things up & tossing them around, or changing appearance with Mystique, & Wolverine etc. Of course the game was nowhere near as i imagined when i played it (unrealistic at the time tbh), but still the game wasn't so bad & had fun with it.

Also 007 From Russia with Love, i was so hooked once i saw the FMV cutscene of the first tutorial mission, had to get both games that same weekend..

The X-Men legends games were so fun, I have really fond memories of playing those with my brothers

Of course the trailer really up sold the graphics :P

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
I'm not really into trailers to be honest. I never watch them for games I'm actually interested in, just to minimize the chance for potential spoilers.
But back in the day I remember when I, for the first time ever, saw the Skyrim trailer. It let me speechless. It was my first ever experience with an Elder Scrolls game. That Fus Ro Dah just made my heart blow up and boil my blood in my veins and just got hooked and couldn't wait for the actual release! That will forever be in my memories and because of that, for me, this trailer is one of the best of all time! :)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You posted a screenshot from one of the best trailers of all time (OF ALL TIME!) and then didn't talk about it. Dead Island's trailer was a cinematic masterpiece.

On the other end of the spectrum is this (do ads count as trailers?):

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over