Homebrew Some sort of 'crash' with Paper Mario Sticker Star?

c0dex3ds

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I was playing Paper Mario Sticker Star, I suddenly got this crash:

i0lQJbT.jpg

(link if it doesnt work: http://i.imgur.com/i0lQJbT.jpg)

My question is if it is exploitable or not. I suppose its just a corrupted game, but I have no idea. It is reproducible whenever I open my save file and start walking around. Thanks for your help.

D

Deleted User

Look, I know that you're new, but these questions are really sensitive on this forum. I'm gonna say no to the main qustion because There'd need to be a lot more research about whether there's something like a buffer overflow for userland access.

Last edited by ,

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

i0lQJbT.jpg

My question is if it is exploitable or not. I suppose its just a corrupted game, but I have no idea. It is reproducible whenever I open my save file and start walking around. Thanks for your help.
The game crashed for some reason. That doesn't mean an exploit is available... It's an issue with your game/save.

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i0lQJbT.jpg

Do you have a way to extract the save? I could look at it.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@c0dex3ds Not every crash = exploit entry best you can do like you've done allready is backup your save and send it to someone who can examine what went wrong.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

i0lQJbT.jpg

Every time someone manages to crash a game or app in some way we get the same question and after a while people get tired of seeing that same question asked over and over.
The thing is, most crashes can't be exploited, because the data that causes the crash can't be manipulated in such a way that we can cause it to execute arbitrary code. It has to be a controllable crash.
There's a small chance (probably <1%) that a random crash can be exploited. The crashes that are normally exploited are ones that would never occur normally, but occur because people are using forged/modified data designed to crash the system in a controllable way. Because your crash occured randomly it's likely not controllable. Every exploit works by causing a crash that overwrites part of the memory, causes it to start executing arbitrary code, or similar, but controlling that crash in a way to make it do what we want (execute a specific ROP chain, which in the end leads to unsigned code execution), which requires being able to control what is written to memory, or control what memory is executed, etc.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna ask the mods to close this thread, since it doesnt have any value anymore. PM me if you still want info/etc.
What do you mean by no value any more it never had any value to start with in the first place. Please go research on the Internet the difference between a game crash and a game exploit and you will see they are vastly different thanks

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Finally there are people here