[Help] Custom Virtual Console WADs (Like N64)

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
There's this Paper Mario rom hack I wanted to try out, but Project64 kept crashing whenever I play it, Mupen64 won't even open at all, and RetroArch refuses to read any of my inputs properly. (And don't get me started with the Wii Homebrew N64 Emulators.) So, I would like to know if anybody can make a Wii WAD of the Paper Mario hack for me, because it is now the only way for me to simply play the game without anything glitching out. I will repay anybody with 2 blue sky invite codes if they do (incase anyone is out there wanting to leave Twitter.)

Here is the link to the hack: Click here.

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
If you can't get it to run in a PC emulator injecting it into a VC wad is highly unlikely to work better. That said, if you want to try yourself you can use https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-friishproduce-multiplatform-wad-injector.632028/

I recommend injecting the patched rom into the original game's wad, to start.
I did exactly that. In fact, this was the first out of three programs I used, and seeing that this is a more update to date version, I gave it a second shot, and I was SOOO CLOSE (too close) into being able to play it. The WAD was created and installed successfully, but the game itself won’t even load.

I hate resorting to bribery, but I rather have someone do it for me in exchange for an Art Commission, or Bluesky Invite Codes.
Post automatically merged:

i use wiiflow lite and it works with wii64.dol
I don’t really trust anything Wii64-related since that emulator never updates. I tried downloading it anyway (as well as Not64) to play the rom off of those only so the video can constantly flicker like it’s no tomorrow.

It has to be a WAD or nothing at all.

Last edited by Kirbyranitar,
Reactions: SaulFabre

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I did exactly that. In fact, this was the first out of three programs I used, and seeing that this is a more update to date version, I gave it a second shot, and I was SOOO CLOSE (too close) into being able to play it. The WAD was created and installed successfully, but the game itself won’t even load.

I hate resorting to bribery, but I rather have someone do it for me in exchange for an Art Commission, or Bluesky Invite Codes.

I don’t really trust anything Wii64-related since that emulator never updates. I tried downloading it anyway (as well as Not64) to play the rom off of those only so the video can constantly flicker like it’s no tomorrow.

It has to be a WAD or nothing at all.
I'm right now playing it on Not64 and its alright. Have some sound issues and some places have missing textures but the game runs good overall.

I tried injecting the rom to the paper mario wad to see if it runs and nope.

Hey @SaulFabre Any news on n64 emulation on the Wii? I know you are not the person to ask but you know more about these things.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I'm right now playing it on Not64 and its alright. Have some sound issues and some places have missing textures but the game runs good overall.

I tried injecting the rom to the paper mario wad to see if it runs and nope.

Hey @SaulFabre Any news on n64 emulation on the Wii? I know you are not the person to ask but you know more about these things.
We're stuck in N64 emulation progress on Wii sadly :,(

Both Wii64 and Not64 aren't getting updated since long ago... (Wii64 had its last update in 2021 and Not64 got its last update in 2022)

Reactions: drag4you

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
We're stuck in N64 emulation progress on Wii sadly :,(

Both Wii64 and Not64 aren't getting updated since long ago... (Wii64 had its last update in 2021 and Not64 got its last update in 2022)
Well, that is just sad. I’m guessing it will be no different if it’s through the Wii U menu’s Homebrew Channel; that is if such an emulator even exists, which I know it won’t at the end of the day.

Guess there’s not even a need to ask if a custom Wii U virtual console injection would work better or not.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, just to clarify

I'm right now playing it on Not64 and its alright.

@drag4you are you saying you're playing the Paper Mario rom hack OP is interested in on Not64 on Wii hardware successfully?

If so, @Kirbyranitar should try Not64. And maybe double check that the rom hack is being applied correctly - if it works on Not64 it really should work on Mupen on a PC.

drag4you

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
Uh, just to clarify

@drag4you are you saying you're playing the Paper Mario rom hack OP is interested in on Not64 on Wii hardware successfully?

If so, @Kirbyranitar should try Not64. And maybe double check that the rom hack is being applied correctly - if it works on Not64 it really should work on Mupen on a PC.
The problem I had with Mupen64 unlike any other emulator, is that the program (the emulator) itself won’t even open, making me unable to try to see if the game works well after Project64 failed.

I also tried it on Not64, and everything kept flickering to the point where it nothing shows up on my capture card.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure you've used a good rom to patch the game? often, i find that a bad dump may result in the patched version of the game not run right.

on wii u, you might be able to inject it into mario golf, donkey kong 64 or paper mario itself.

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
are you sure you've used a good rom to patch the game? often, i find that a bad dump may result in the patched version of the game not run right.

on wii u, you might be able to inject it into mario golf, donkey kong 64 or paper mario itself.
I got the base Paper Mario rom from Vimm’s Lair since that’s where I get most of my roms nowadays, and I wouldn’t know what program to use to create a Wii U virtual console injection.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I got the base Paper Mario rom from Vimm’s Lair since that’s where I get most of my roms nowadays, and I wouldn’t know what program to use to create a Wii U virtual console injection.
try using roms from No-Intro database (just google for them).

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Does your hack require the Expansion Pak to be enabled? FriishProduce has an option for enable it on N64 Wii VC WAD injects.

If it still doesn't work then i think because the VC emu hates custom injected code on the games.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Have you tried patching a clean, USA rom of Paper Mario with the latest version of TTYD64?

To be clear, the hack Paper Mario TTYD64 is made by elDexter.

Link to latest patch: https://github.com/eldexterr/ttyd64

i could try these after patching the rom with the latest patch:
Use FriishProduce, inject the patched rom into Paper Mario WAD, and enable the options "Expansion Pak (8 MB)", "Fix crashes" and "Allocate ROM" options. That's all what i can say for these, since i didn't test it.

Reactions: NestorM

Kirbyranitar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
solo.to
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried patching a clean, USA rom of Paper Mario with the latest version of TTYD64?

To be clear, the hack Paper Mario TTYD64 is made by elDexter.

Link to latest patch: https://github.com/eldexterr/ttyd64

i could try these after patching the rom with the latest patch:
Use FriishProduce, inject the patched rom into Paper Mario WAD, and enable the options "Expansion Pak (8 MB)", "Fix crashes" and "Allocate ROM" options. That's all what i can say for these, since i didn't test it.
Out of all of the options you list, I only see "Expansion Pak (8MB)." The only other options are not exactly what you said. Instead I got "Fix brightness" and "Clear all preinstalled VC textures." Not to mention that I keep getting an error message that says "component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not correctly register or missing."

Out of all of the options you list, I only see "Expansion Pak (8MB)." The only other options are not exactly what you said. Instead I got "Fix brightness" and "Clear all preinstalled VC textures." Not to mention that I keep getting an error message that says "component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of it's dependencies not correctly register or missing."
After compiling, the WAD was made, and it cannot install. At this point, this has become a test of my patience.

Last edited by Kirbyranitar,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Today i tried to inject by myself the hack you mentioned here.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work at the Wii VC N64 internal emulator (injected WAD).

I even tried to pad the hack rom to 48 MB (as the hack has an inusual size-45,9 MB) but still no luck.

I guess it's because the VC emulator hates custom/injected code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto