Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
twiztidsinz said:
I think the quickest and easiest method would be to swap the text files.

You can't just swap the text files, actual code hacking is needed.How so?
If you can extract the text in a similar fashion to how you would do a translation, aside from replacing images, what hacking would need to be done?

Sk8er Prince said:
And also, R4 ain't outdate, just not the best Flash Cart.Given that the official team is no longer around, yes... it IS outdated.
Pretty sure it doesn't work on the DSi, correct? Another reason why it's outdated.
It's outdated, past it's prime, obsolete. That's a FACT, not an opinion.
Even though there is unofficial firmware and YSMenu, that's just a nicety.

/proud R4 Owner

QUOTE(BigLord @ Sep 22 2009, 09:40 PM) Hmm, someonewhodied hasn't posted in a while, I hope he's still working at this :\ I really want to play this someday...

... orrrr maybe he's finally fixed it and can't stop playing the game, lmao.
Well... If the update status is accurate:QUOTE(someonewhodied @ Sep 18 2009, 03:19 AM)
progress for known problems:
select file screen button lock: fixed
load file black screen: fixed
infinate bowser battle: fixed
bowser &fawful 1st scene (with vaccuum shroom): Fixed
room 2 inside bowser load: fixed
Save Luigi room load: not fixed
Then it's a possibility... But then again, it seems almost TOO good to be true and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone brag that they hacked something just for adulation and praise from the community when in reality they've gotten nothing accomplished.
NOTE: I AM -=NOT=- SAYING THAT IS WHAT THIS IS!!!!! I'm just saying it's a possibility.
I myself am waiting anxiously to play this... my friend said it is awesome and continues to flaunt his M3Real in my face.

lemonfiresky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BigLord said:
Hmm, someonewhodied hasn't posted in a while, I hope he's still working at this :\ I really want to play this someday...

... orrrr maybe he's finally fixed it and can't stop playing the game, lmao.

Maybe he died?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How so?
If you can extract the text in a similar fashion to how you would do a translation, aside from replacing images, what hacking would need to be done?
Here is just a basic explanation of all the hacking involved in a translation-

1- hacking a readable english font in, or at least an already existing one that can be used in game
2- fitting the text in the text boxes. Often, a single Japanese character can contain a message that could be as long as an entire english sentence. Basically, it's possible to fit a lot of meaning into one of those small characters.
3- in regards to the fitting, the text can run off the screen if not formatted correctly. This is ironically something seen before in a DS game i've played before. The Japanese version of Dragon Quest 4 DS was found to have not only Japanese script, but English and some other languages as well. It was an early production where they basically just inserted the text from the NES game into the rom. The programming was only half done. When English was enabled, the text would run off the screen and cause random glitching as well as errors where they didn't finish the programming.
4- it's just not as easy as unpacking the rom and swapping out text files or whatever. If you tried to do this, it would just cause a lot more trouble than anything it would try to rectify

It may look like a fix is impossible, but you can be assured that it would be FAR FAR FAR easier to just make a piracy fix than try to reverse translate the Japanese game. If you think you can do this, just try to translate the intro sequence of the game by hacking in the English text into the Japanese rom. If you think it's easy, go for it. You can disregard my statements, and i'd love to be wrong actually.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
granville said:
QUOTE said:
How so?
Here is just a basic explanation of all the hacking involved in a translation-

1- hacking a readable english font in, or at least an already existing one that can be used in game
2- fitting the text in the text boxes. Often, a single Japanese character can contain a message that could be as long as an entire english sentence. Basically, it's possible to fit a lot of meaning into one of those small characters.
3- in regards to the fitting, the text can run off the screen if not formatted correctly. This is ironically something seen before in a DS game i've played before. The Japanese version of Dragon Quest 4 DS was found to have not only Japanese script, but English and some other languages as well. It was an early production where they basically just inserted the text from the NES game into the rom. The programming was only half done. When English was enabled, the text would run off the screen and cause random glitching as well as errors where they didn't finish the programming.
4- it's just not as easy as unpacking the rom and swapping out text files or whatever. If you tried to do this, it would just cause a lot more trouble than anything it would try to rectify

It may look like a fix is impossible, but you can be assured that it would be FAR FAR FAR easier to just make a piracy fix than try to reverse translate the Japanese game. If you think you can do this, just try to translate the intro sequence of the game by hacking in the English text into the Japanese rom. If you think it's easy, go for it. You can disregard my statements, and i'd love to be wrong actually.

I would like to see this, but my last hack was an unsuccessful 'Hack the PCC back into Crystal project'. Although I might do a safari zone hack... Anyway, point is I couldn't do this.

EDIT: Hey! someonewhodied is reading this topic!

someonewhodied

Lazy Person
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basic guide to nds text editing:

1. Search google for a game specific tool(ex: poketex, nightmare modules, lunar magic). if there is one, your set. if not, go to step 2
2. download a hex editor
3. find the nds text file
4. open it in yur hex editor
5. enjoy

Sk8er Prince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
twiztidsinz said:
Given that the official team is no longer around, yes... it IS outdated.
Pretty sure it doesn't work on the DSi, correct? Another reason why it's outdated.
It's outdated, past it's prime, obsolete. That's a FACT, not an opinion.
Even though there is unofficial firmware and YSMenu, that's just a nicety.

/proud R4 Owner
That's so incorrect, you don't need an official team to continue with the development.
And there's a R4i in case you don't know, try researching somethin' 'fore y'try sayin'
somethin' that ain't true.

And it's not a FACT! The paragraph above this one has proof even enough. And you
want a website? Here: http://www.r4li.com/download/r4_v1.23_kernel.html

THAT is outdate? C'mon. 2 months without updates is not outdate.
blink.gif
mad.gif

QUOTE(8BitWalugi @ Sep 23 2009, 05:13 PM) It cant be that easy can it?
And of course, it ain't easy. If it was, then the R4 fix woulda been fixed in less than 24 hours.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
1- hacking a readable english font in, or at least an already existing one that can be used in gameUnless the game already has an English font...
A game destined to be released in the USA would most likely have one in place to make it that much easier for the official localization team.
granville said:
2- fitting the text in the text boxes. Often, a single Japanese character can contain a message that could be as long as an entire english sentence. Basically, it's possible to fit a lot of meaning into one of those small characters.The American version already has that done -- hence the point of replacing the texts and not translating the Japanese.
The only problem I could see is if the game will only display an expected number of dialogue screens per conversation or before an event. This happened in RagnarokDS with certain sprites showing up after a set number of dialogue popups.
However, if I recall correctly from DarthNemesis, that was 'poor programming' on the part of the game developers and not something that is common.
granville said:
3- in regards to the fitting, the text can run off the screen if not formatted correctly. This is ironically something seen before in a DS game i've played before. The Japanese version of Dragon Quest 4 DS was found to have not only Japanese script, but English and some other languages as well. It was an early production where they basically just inserted the text from the NES game into the rom. The programming was only half done. When English was enabled, the text would run off the screen and cause random glitching as well as errors where they didn't finish the programming.See Response #2.
granville said:
4- it's just not as easy as unpacking the rom and swapping out text files or whatever. If you tried to do this, it would just cause a lot more trouble than anything it would try to rectifyNo it's not... and the difficulty can vary to very simple (I think some older Pokemon games used plain text files) to fairly difficult.
DarthNemesis has made a few programs that will dump the text from games to files and then reinsert them back into the ROM.

granville said:
It may look like a fix is impossible, but you can be assured that it would be FAR FAR FAR easier to just make a piracy fix than try to reverse translate the Japanese game. If you think you can do this, just try to translate the intro sequence of the game by hacking in the English text into the Japanese rom. If you think it's easy, go for it. You can disregard my statements, and i'd love to be wrong actually.I already explained above why I do not think it would be impossible or even difficult.
Unfortunately I do not know much about 'hacking' the ROMs to get the information one would need, DarthNemesis tried to explain it once to me during the RagnarokDS project -- something about looking for offsets in order to find the beginning of the text blocks/files, but for someone as new to ROM hacking as I was, it was all over my head.
I know tools exist for other games to do exactly what needs to be done to insert the English text into the Japanese ROM.
Maybe I did make it sound overly simple in terms of it's execution when I shouldn't have... but I do believe it would be easier than hacking around all of the games security checks.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Sk8er Prince @ Sep 23 2009, 09:44 AM) That's so incorrect, you don't need an official team to continue with the development.
You DO need the official team to continue the development, otherwise you're just working with hacks or 3rd party firmware.
QUOTE(Sk8er Prince @ Sep 23 2009, 09:44 AM)
And there's a R4i in case you don't know, try researching somethin' 'fore y'try sayin' somethin' that ain't true.
The R4i is a CLONE. And not a clone of an R4... it's a clone of a clone (DSTT I believe). You should try "researching somethin' 'fore y'try sayin' somethin' that ain't true."
QUOTE(Sk8er Prince @ Sep 23 2009, 09:44 AM)
And it's not a FACT! The paragraph above this one has proof even enough. And you want a website? Here: [url=http://www.r4li.com/download/r4_v1.23_kernel.html]http://www.r4li.com/download/r4_v1.23_kernel.html[/url]

THAT is outdate? C'mon. 2 months without updates is not outdate.
blink.gif
mad.gif
That's not the official firmware... it's a firmware made to look like the original R4 firmware (but fails at it).
I know... I have it on my card.
It looks TERRIBLE... like the original firmware drawn in MS Paint and skins don't seem to work (even though it says they do).
The only good thing about it over YSMenu is that it seems to boot -SOME- games faster and bypasses the file select lock on M&L3 (However you do get a black screen after load).

Rfire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will this work in progress patch also fix it for SuperCard CF? I'm assuming that Nintendo is going to put this in future titles as well, such as Zelda Spirit Tracks. Hopefully the causes will be found and cracked.

Lahiho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Now I don't know much about DS hacking but surely there is someone who knows about doing this who could help someonewhodied, they both halve the code or w/e , halving the time it would take.

I K K E

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good luck,

If this helps, i have a R4 and an unpatched rom freezes with a black screen when i select a new game when i use this cheat:

52064138 E1A00005
5206413C E28DDE22
02064138 E3A00001
D2000000 00000000

I'm actually playing the japan version now because i'm irritated about the us version still not working.

Good luck again and i hope you can make a fix.

magicksun

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Argentina
I remember The Castlevania portrait of ruin , i don't know how much anti priracy got , but went to find a fix is a head ache and this game is the x10 of pain hahaha , u can do it prince!

Posts merged

well.... u are my 1/4 prince jajaja

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
ye know.. i get da feeling we are depending on 1 man who can save the future of roms. yeh... that piracy patch is that Evil
great job feller keep on the research, eventually there will be a fix
smileipb2.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work