ROM Hack Soma Bringer Open Translation

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
neochaos said:
Fantastic work DarthNemesis. Just a question, are you going to make translation projects for any other DS games after this one? Would be great, so many great titles still untranslated.Don't have anything in mind, really. I'll probably just help out with other people's projects.

zlac said:
Nintendo should pay DarthNemesis big $ for his translation when it's done, and then release game in English...and include his name in special thanks!:)Ha, that would be great.

QUOTE(BelmontSlayer @ Sep 4 2008, 05:32 PM)
Just started playing. Awesome work everyone. Btw, I noticed a typo when you're assigned your second mission. Idea says, "You're stooping off at the city?". Stooping should of course be stopping. No worries though, thanks for all the hard work!
Don't know what you're talking about, it does say "stopping".

linne

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi, being a native Japanese, I'd love to proofread the whole text.
I'm not sure how long it'd take, though.

Could you please instruct me how to make corrections?
That was what I did yesterday, but I thought it may be a bad idea to do so,
and stopped after editing few lines.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
linne said:
Hi, being a native Japanese, I'd love to proofread the whole text.
I'm not sure how long it'd take, though.

Could you please instruct me how to make corrections?
That was what I did yesterday, but I thought it may be a bad idea to do so,
and stopped after editing few lines.
Really? I would appreciate that very much!

Probably the most helpful thing you can do is to add explanations to the talk page for lines I marked as Literal, metaphors, figures of speech, etc. saying what they actually mean. That way I can rewrite the line with a full understanding of its meaning. You can also just edit the script page directly on the wiki and I'll pick up the changes.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mohammad said:
Mohammad said:
hmm okay didn't see anything, so how do I patch my Jap rom?
ummm bump it again? is there a tutorial for patching roms somewhere?
If you download the patch zip from DN, it should have a few files in said archive, one of which says something to the effect of "drag ROM file here" which you should naturally do. You will need an original untrimmed JP ROM of the game however.

Mohammad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright thanks
happy.gif

Karedis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just signed up to say thanks for all the hard work DarthNemesis!

The local multiplayer is insanely fun and addicting. I'd highly suggest it to anyone getting tired of playing solo.

Khaos4wood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I have a trimmed ROM and thusfar the patch has worked perfectly, but I'm only at the beginning of the game. What exactly are the problems with the trimmed version, and should I go find an untrimmed ROM to patch?

samuraibunny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Khaos4wood said:
Actually, I have a trimmed ROM and thusfar the patch has worked perfectly, but I'm only at the beginning of the game. What exactly are the problems with the trimmed version, and should I go find an untrimmed ROM to patch?

I'm not an expert, but I would say that you should find an untrimmed rom to patch just to avoid any problems that would come up from using a trimmed rom.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It seems that there is one sentence in the cutscenes that is still untranslated.

http://somatrans.scribblewiki.com/SC723
Line #1

Only half the text is in English.

EDIT: Amazing. Almost all the errors in the script were very minor. Great job, Darth. =D
On a side-note, this story makes me sad. I always like unrealistically happy endings for some reason. x,x

EDIT: Question... "Soma Storm" or "Soma storm"? It is "Soma storm" in the cutscenes, but "Soma Storm" in the logs.

EDIT: Do you want to change those some of those dashes into em dashes, or are we going to keep them as dashes for simplicity? I am changing all the dashes into ellipses for consistency, but there are some cases where an em dash would work better. I noted all the changes of this sort that I made, so it will be easy to go back and undo or improve them if necessary.

P.S. If you want any of these changes to be reversed, just say so. I'll glady go back and revert them.

linne

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarthNemesis said:
Really? I would appreciate that very much!

Probably the most helpful thing you can do is to add explanations to the talk page for lines I marked as Literal, metaphors, figures of speech, etc. saying what they actually mean. That way I can rewrite the line with a full understanding of its meaning. You can also just edit the script page directly on the wiki and I'll pick up the changes.

I usually work at home.
So whenever I have free time, I'll check the wiki.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac2492 said:
Question... "Soma Storm" or "Soma storm"? It is "Soma storm" in the cutscenes, but "Soma Storm" in the logs. Also, do you want to change those some of those dashes into em dashes, or are we going to keep them as dashes for simplicity?
Thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll stick with Soma storm. As for the hyphens, I'll change them back to em dashes after I make sure all of the old ones that we replaced with ellipses are gone.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
Mac2492 said:
Question... "Soma Storm" or "Soma storm"? It is "Soma storm" in the cutscenes, but "Soma Storm" in the logs. Also, do you want to change those some of those dashes into em dashes, or are we going to keep them as dashes for simplicity?
Thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll stick with Soma storm. As for the hyphens, I'll change them back to em dashes after I make sure all of the old ones that we replaced with ellipses are gone.

I just went through and replaced those hyphens with ellipses. (Searched for "-" on every script page. xD)

I think some of the phrases would work better with an em dash (indicating a sudden cut-off), but most of them work better with ellipses.

EDIT: Oh, yes... All the dashes in the script that should be em dashes now have a space before them (and after them if they don't end on a line break). I may have missed a few, but this means that a majority of these dashes can be found by searching the page for " -".

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New patch is out; the tutorials section in the library is now complete.

Mac2492 said:
I just went through and replaced those hyphens with ellipses. (Searched for "-" on every script page. xD)
Oh god so many changes D=
You delayed the new patch by a day, lol. Thanks for all the corrections though, it's a big help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @BigOnYa ??