Gaming So why gets everyone in panic because of using hacked VC games?

ilovengage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I know this has been discussed several times already but I still don't see the point why everybody is afraid Nintendo starts banning everyone and checking if you play only VC games you bought.

I don't mean the downloading of VC games you didn't buy because of the ticket you get when installing the hacked VC game, but just the installing. I mean, yeah there is a little difference between playing hacked VC games and full games with mod-chip.

But the point is - until now Nintendo didn't do anything offensive against people using modded consoles. They could have done so many things: they could recognize you are playing a game you shouldn't be able to play (or check if you got double channels or something like that), they could have marked you when playing Super Mario Galaxy without updated mod-chip and - hey, just because you still can play games doesn't mean they don't know you got a mod-chip in your device.

When you install Virtual console games everyone gets in panic and talks about "risking" something. Some people say they can see you play a game you didn't buy - well, maybe they could, but that's the same thing with f.e. Mario Galaxy. And now I want to know - why should they act when you install VC games when they don't when you try to play a copied Mario Galaxy which gives you a error message because of the modchip?

The worst thing that can happen is - at least that's what I think - that Nintendo blocks the hacked VC games in the future but I doubt they ban you (what wouldn't be such a problem with Nintendo's poor online service) or even track you down with your private address you gave them when registering. Not even Microsoft does it like that with banned Xbox 360s - they just ban the console!

Sorry if you're annoyed about another one who makes this topic to a thread but I am just annoyed of people talking about their horror visions of what Nintendo maybe will do. I don't say they won't do anything, just that it's unlikely because if they did something they would have done it already, before hacked VC games appeared.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
ilovengage said:
And now I want to know - why should they act when you install VC games when they don't when you try to play a copied Mario Galaxy which gives you a error message because of the modchip?

There are a few reasons the "Error" can appear, apparently it happens sometimes on damaged discs too.

drgary

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
bennydigital said:
even if you get banned format wii = new wii.

The problem is: format bricked wii = bricked new wii

Noone knows what the Nintendo managers really intend to do next. So why risk anything just because of a few old VC-games? It's just not worth it.

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Better save then sorry, no need to take risks for old fashion games.
I can imagine nintendo aint happy when someone else is depleting their goldmine, all the vc games have their own digitaly signed code.
I would like to have some vc games on my wii but i dont see any reason to take risks at this point.

Im glad with the people that do take risks, this way i can just watch & see what happens ^^
No, i won't install them for now but ill wait +/- 3 weeks.
Im curious how nintendo respond.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
defrb said:
Better save then sorry, no need to take risks for old fashion games.
I can imagine nintendo aint happy when someone else is depleting their goldmine, all the vc games have their own digitaly signed code.
I would like to have some vc games on my wii but i dont see any reason to take risks at this point.

Im glad with the people that do take risks, this way i can just watch & see what happens ^^
No, i won't install them for now but ill wait +/- 3 weeks.
Im curious how nintendo respond.

I believe that all of these games use the "trucha exploit". Therefore, all that Nintendo has to do is issue an update that activates IOS37, and it will break any hacked Virtual Console game.

MCorbet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have all consoles from nintendo. And a lot of original cardridges. So I think when you have the original game you must be able to download the games for free
biggrin.gif
So Now I do by installing the hacked games. Because VC is noting more then an emulator. And you al alouwd to run an emulator when you have te original game
biggrin.gif

So if nintendo blocks my wii. I will ga to the judge
biggrin.gif

I'm I right or not ?

Lloyd14

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not going to use hacked VC games because they're shit and you will get screwed by Nintendo.
If I want to play some old games then I'll use my Xbox 360 controller on my pc.

rjcrjc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo will presumably use the same system as VC to distribute their WiiWare games, which I'm guessing is a bigger deal for them

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you want to play old games on the wii, why not just use an emu on the wii? I have the snes emu running on there, and i've been having a blast with it.

Tonight, Genesis, TG-16 and Nes are being added to my SD card, The only thing i'm REALLY missing from the set is NeoGeo and... is that VC yet? And yes, i know 64 is there too... but i don't play many 64 games. Also, no waiting for the VC release of a game.

And as soon as a mame emu is ready... Mmmmm...

(Sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a YOU FOOL! USE EMUS ROFLZZ!!!11adfashahaha!!! post, it's an honest question of "why pirate vc games when emus can be used")

Dingler

Trophies
XP
Country
N64 are by far the most wanted games for VC (maybe not for you, but for a whole lot of people), and since we can't run N64 emus, we do this... Also, Big N won't do shit about this - and as far as I've heard the Truncha signer is only used for installing which would leave the pirated VC games safe n' sound when IOS37 kicks in.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
WildWon said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you want to play old games on the wii, why not just use an emu on the wii?

yes i think that there are plenty of snes, megadrive, nes emus, and so on for the Wii, it's just the n64 games that are hard to emulate on a console so thats the only reason i will use the hacked VC games for.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but as emulators become more precise for Wii usage, wouldn't the slowdown/non-64 problems be resolved? I mean, i know they aren't EXACTLY roms, but the d-loaded VC games aren't complete rewrites are they? They're slightly changed to run on the wii's built in "emulators." So, technically, doesn't the wii have the specs for the 64 emulation? (as well as proper system emulation for zero slow down)
(again, not trying to start anything heh, just wondering. I post this in any kind of 'devils advocate' situation so i don't fully come off as a dick
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, there wasnt even a conversation in place