Gaming So Nintendo DOESN'T use emulators to record their video of DS.

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXmrxvMtwzI

In the comments, the creator of Inchworm Animation (a great game x3) says there is hardware to record DS.
QUOTE said:
yes, you are right. They make a special piece of hardware that will record the DSi video directly, but we don't have one of those. So this was pretty much the only way to make the trailer. Sorry if it looks lo-fi!

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
slowpoke.jpeg

Aijelsop

Question Asker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk I always thought they used some form of an emulator (maybe not even using a ROM file) to record.

Maybe like a Nintendo-created-Nintendo-only DS emulator type thing

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Waflix said:
It doesn't make any sense to have such an emulator.Development purposes, very important. Hell, I've heard Normmatt actually has modified some emulators so he can run AKAIO on them to test things. If something you do might brick, it's better to brick a virtual device and just reboot the emulator than to brick hardware... and it's easier to compile shit and run it in an emulator than to transfer it to hardware every single time you need to test it.

QUOTE(Waflix @ Jun 14 2011, 10:56 AM) The chance of leaking would be too big.
Game companies have a ton of shit that's cooler than emulators that doesn't get leaked, such as encryption keys...

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought this was common knowledge?
Sure some releases are filmed with SDK tools, but there is a slot-2 device for the DS that is used to film/take screenshots.
There was a commercially available clone of it, but it is no longer available due to a copyright claim from Nintendo.

Also +1 what Rydian said, it's more practical in every way to use NitroSDK's tools (even though one of them is an NDS slot-1 adapter designed for pretty much that purpose.)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I see your mop and raise you George's mop lol