Homebrew Snes9x GX 4.4.0 Beta - Feedback requested

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The official english translated Seiken Densetsu 3 rom (aka Trials of Mana) from Collection of Mana has been released online.
It works like a charm with the latest Snes9x GX version for the Nintendo Wii!
Below are some gameplay screenshots.
That squinty-eyes font needs hacked pronto. Also, I don't believe Sin of Mana works with it, which is a mod that attempts to correct the broken combat system.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, the officially translated game is playable on ZSNES of all things (which to me says that the translation team did a pretty neat job), so it makes sense it works on more recent emulators!

Localization teams deserve props for undertaking this translation, specially since Seiken Densetsu 3 not only got an official translation decades later to english, but also spanish, french and german! That's beyond cool!

But I have to agree, the font is really small and far more annoying to read than the old Fan Translation, which stands very nice today. It's one of the shitty things modern / HD gaming has brought: tiny, awful subtitles and text. It's like most developers expect everybody to have a gigantic TV, or play in a desktop with a big display in their faces.

Some games become way too much of a hassle because they don't care about proper text size (or even worse, they think the obscure their beloved graphics during cutscenes).

On another note, I still like the old translation better in some aspects. Besides font, some of the names for cities and such I like a bit more (Forcena > Valsena, Navarre, Nevarl), but that's subjective. It's great that it has released after so many years worlwide, though!

Even more, that remake looks really up my alley and it's probably my favourite announce from the E3. I'm so happy to see the series alive...

Sin of Mana

Hoho, I didn't know the existence of that hack, sounds really fun!

I made several of those for a bunch of games, and I actually looked at Seiken Densetsu 3 a fair bit to see what I could change, but Sin of Mana sounds really exciting and has many changes I thought of myself. Thanks for mentioning it, I can't wait to check it out!

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hoho, I didn't know the existence of that hack, sounds really fun!

I made several of those for a bunch of games, and I actually looked at Seiken Densetsu 3 a fair bit to see what I could change, but Sin of Mana sounds really exciting and has many changes I thought of myself. Thanks for mentioning it, I can't wait to check it out!
Sin of Mana is one of those rare hacks that isn't hosted @ romhacking.net, so it is a bit under the radar. If you plan on replaying it more than once, you'll probably want to start off with the normal difficulty patch then work your way up -- otherwise, just use one of the hard patches if you think you can handle it.

Reactions: Maeson

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Whenever I have the time to play it extensively, I'll surely start with the default difficulty. That way I have higher difficulties to look after for repeated playthroughs.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I just uploaded two new files one: Snes9x.GX.4.4.3.zip which fixes the background image, thanks @Tanooki16
And a second one Snes9x.GX.4.4.3_Test.zip which contains the background image change and a test where the Tile code drastically has change which benefit from faster compiling the emulator and reducing the footprint.

I would like to ask to download the Snes9x.GX.4.4.3_Test.zip file because it contains the same as the other one and more. Please test it by playing your favorite games and see if the experience is the same or worse.

One extra note it can be slightly slower in FPS, we recently gained like 3-4% not so long a go by a change in the Tile code so.

Please let me know how it goes.
Hey @Bladeoner. With the test version, i saw a 3-5 fps dip in Star Fox 2, same for Kirby's Dream Land 3 in hi-res mode. Other chip heavy games are probably gonna suffer, or titles that were struggling to reach 60 fps, which won't be able to attain full speed and drop more frames.

Btw, i noticed that now the ROM info shows at startup no matter if the Show FPS option is being used or not. Could it be removed like it was before? Also, could that same option be saved to the config?

Thanks for your cool updates!

Last edited by niuus,

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey @Bladeoner. With the test version, i saw a 3-5 fps dip in Star Fox 2, same for Kirby's Dream Land 3 in hi-res mode. Other chip heavy games are probably gonna suffer, or titles that were struggling to reach 60 fps, which won't be able to attain full speed and drop more frames.

Btw, i noticed that now the ROM info shows at startup no matter if the Show FPS option is being used or not. Could it be removed like it was before? Also, could that same option be saved to the config?

Thanks for your cool updates!
Thanks for the feedback, I thought that some games would suffer.

The rom info cannot be removed otherwise the clock and show fps cannot work at the same time. And the Show FPS and Clock option cannot be saved, I was working on it but these are messages from the Snes9x emulator itself which cannot be adjusted easily. With that I tried all that I could think of.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks for the feedback, I thought that some games would suffer.

The rom info cannot be removed otherwise the clock and show fps cannot work at the same time. And the Show FPS and Clock option cannot be saved, I was working on it but these are messages from the Snes9x emulator itself which cannot be adjusted easily. With that I tried all that I could think of.
Oh, it's cool, thanks anyway! Is a 'toggle v-sync' option possible in the future? Could be useful for speed/performance checks.

gadesx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since 4.3.9 I got full fps (smw2) other games works fine.
But with Original resolution, no filters.
With that config the emulator seems to work better, I have to try 4.4.0 or newer version to compare.
RX fork cause crashes with my Wii.

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The change in the test version has been merged in de Snes9x master. It has some benefits like smaller footprint and quicker building of the emulator. It's better to do a change like that optimize the code and then see what else can be optimized to make things quicker.

Didn't have time yet to upload a new version.

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Great to see a new version Bladeoner! But can you explain what is new in this version? Any testing needed?

Nothing spectacular, just some code optimization on the Tile code. With that the emulator is smaller in size.

At this moment there is no testing needed just download the emulator and enjoy :)

Thanks for asking.

Reactions: Flo_o

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Nothing spectacular, just some code optimization on the Tile code. With that the emulator is smaller in size.

At this moment there is no testing needed just download the emulator and enjoy :)

Thanks for asking.
I will do Bladeonder, thanks again for your awesome work. Btw, any plans to tweak VBA GX also?

D

Deleted User

I would love to see you help endrift program a nice interface for mGBA!
I understand though if you want to focus on Snes9xGX instead.

Reactions: rogerioronin

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E