SNEmulDS Compatibility

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by anime_junkie, Dec 31, 2007.

Dec 31, 2007

SNEmulDS Compatibility by anime_junkie at 1:10 AM (9,448 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. anime_junkie
    OP

Member anime_junkie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How many of these games run well on the current build of SNEmulDS? The compatibility wiki seems a little outdated... and by well, I mean good sound emulation, saves, graphics work as they should, no crashes, no slowdown, etc. I'd check but my R4 hasn't come yet.

Lufia II
    Breath of Fire I & II
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Magic Knight Rayearth
    Terranigma
    Illusion of Gaia
    Soul Blazer
    Earthbound
    3rd Super Robot Wars
    Chrono Trigger
    Front Mission Gun Hazard
    Robotrek
    The 7th Saga

Thanks in advance.

2. diew

Newcomer diew Advanced Member

United States
  3. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Chrono Trigger: By your definition of well, no, but it is playable.
    Earthbound: Layers need to be changed in boss battles, when the hero is behind a tree his sprite looks like he's on top of it. (Purely cosmetic glitch)

That's all I know.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Another compatibility list is http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List but I've been too lazy to update it to v0.6a and very few others contribute to it. It does contain a special note about Illusion of Gaia however; I find that it runs best in v0.4 Beta despite the garbled sound.

5. Harpuia

Member Harpuia GBAtemp Fan

United States
    BoFII seems to crash after 1 battle after you get out of down with Bow or whatever the dog's name is.

6. Icegoten

Newcomer Icegoten Member

United States
    Yea in Earthbound that happens but the sound also messes up a bit.

7. imz

Member imz GBAtemp's vigilante

United Kingdom
    I'm currently playing TMNT 4, it seems to be 100%

8. Div03

Newcomer Div03 Newbie

United States
    Since I am a huge RPG fan, I've played most of these and the SNEmulDS compatibility list is a bit out dated on some games.

KEEP IN MIND
    that the sound isn't perfect in SNEmulDS. There seems to be a BLIP every once in a little while. If I don't mention any other sound problems, the game is most likely subject to this BLIP. Icegoten said that Earthbound had sound glitches, but I can say that there are none other than the global sound issues from start to finish.

Lufia II - This will work to an extent. I started playing and saw little problems with it. But then I got into a battle and noticed that the layering was off. This means that if you want to play this game you'll need to mess with the layering each time you enter and exit battles. Not ideal in my opinion.

Breath of Fire I & II - I don't think BoF 2 loaded for me, but Breath of Fire 1 seemed to work great.

Illusion of Gaia - Right when I loaded this game I was being bombarded by sound glitches. I'm not sure if theres a sound fix for this like there is for chrono trigger.

Earthbound - Probably the best RPG to play on the DS Emulator. Works 98% I'd say, the other 2% being messed up boss battles. But this is easily counter acted by switching off auto-layering when you encounter a boss and then tapping fix graphics.

Chrono Trigger - SOMETIMES the sound can get funky, and the text can turn to a sort of hard to read color. Its nowhere near perfect, but it's definately playable. I'd put this one second to earthbound in terms of playability.

Robotrek - Major sound glitching, couldn't stand it lol

Those are the ones I've tried. Hope it helps.

In summary:

Playable without hassle:

Earthbound
    Chrono Trigger
    Breath of Fire

Playable but a pain:

Lufia II
    Robotrek (turn off the sound)
    Illusion of Gaia (turn off the sound)

Will not run:

BoF 2

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Were you able to get very far in Illusion of Gaia? In my experience, it crashed entirely in v0.5 Beta within 5 minute of playing. I haven't tested with v0.6 though.

10. Div03

Newcomer Div03 Newbie

United States
    You know what, I didn't even play it for five minutes because of the sound issues. So it probably would have crashed.

11. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    Eathbound plays great with these settings:

In the "Backgrounds & Sprites Options" menu:

Layer #0: 1
    Layer #1: 2
    Layer #2: 0
    Sprites: 3

In the GFX config(I have no idea what these settings actually do, they just seems to be the best settings. Maybe someone can help me out?):

Priority per tile for: BG2
    Block Priority: on
    Blank tile: 686

Sprites 0: 3 (This setting seems to effect nothing in the game, I just have it set to 3 so it has low priority)
    Sprites 1: 3 (Same as above)
    Sprites 2: 3 (This makes the player sprite appear behind bushes, trees, etc.)
    Sprites 3: 2 (This seems to be the best setting, if it is set to 3 the sprites in Layer #1 appear over Ness but this also makes Ness's feet visible through some NPCs)

12. go-vegan

Newcomer go-vegan Advanced Member

Croatia
    tahnk you