Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
All of my games are digital, though. Anyways, are you sure formatting brings the firmware back to the first version? I'm fairly sure it doesn't.

That's not what he implied - what he said was that formatting your system will make the update message go away and not going online will keep it away for good.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm amazed that now 3DS downgrader is available yet. That means that either there's lack of documentation and/or knowledge of the NAND (is that the correct type of chip storing the 3DS firmware?) or lack of interest by coders to do so. Possibly a lack of interest could be all encompassing of a high disregard for computer piracy by the homebrew scene which is very understandable for obvious reasons.

Conversely, if there were devices that were only purposed for homebrewn unsigned code or such then we would be seeing a lot of interesting things happening now. Personally I'm not at all interested in pirating 3DS games which is why I do not own a Gateway 3ds. I don't feel that purchasing the games was a waste of money and plus there's tons of good deals on factory sealed games out there.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All of my games are digital, though. Anyways, are you sure formatting brings the firmware back to the first version? I'm fairly sure it doesn't.
No, but you were asking how to get rid of the update message, and formatting removes the downloaded update (or you could remove it manually from the SD, it's in /extdata/ or something).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm amazed that now 3DS downgrader is available yet. That means that either there's lack of documentation and/or knowledge of the NAND (is that the correct type of chip storing the 3DS firmware?) or lack of interest by coders to do so. Possibly a lack of interest could be all encompassing of a high disregard for computer piracy by the homebrew scene which is very understandable for obvious reasons.

Conversely, if there were devices that were only purposed for homebrewn unsigned code or such then we would be seeing a lot of interesting things happening now. Personally I'm not at all interested in pirating 3DS games which is why I do not own a Gateway 3ds. I don't feel that purchasing the games was a waste of money and plus there's tons of good deals on factory sealed games out there.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/

Just the NAND is encrypted and per-3DS, so you can't use somebody else's dump. You can downgrade if you dumped yourself on an earlier firmware.

Reactions: the_randomizer

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ot27oh.png

her u have them... no kidding IMO its easier to break a diamond with your bare hands then hacking the nintendo private key

Reactions: Boy12

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/

Just the NAND is encrypted and per-3DS, so you can't use somebody else's dump. You can downgrade if you dumped yourself on an earlier firmware.

that's pretty useful. I guess you could dump your nand, go on the shop and get new goodies, then downgrade. Looks like a very easy mod and I guess the software is easy to find to dump with. Looks like it is a good idea to make a backup to keep.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
that's pretty useful. I guess you could dump your nand, go on the shop and get new goodies, then downgrade. Looks like a very easy mod and I guess the software is easy to find to dump with. Looks like it is a good idea to make a backup to keep.
Well, as far as I know, the licenses are kept in the 3DS's internal storage, not the SD, so when you downgrade you're removing the license info and the stuff you downloaded from the eshop won't run.

Reactions: pelago and weatMod

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, as far as I know, the licenses are kept in the 3DS's internal storage, not the SD, so when you downgrade you're removing the license info and the stuff you downloaded from the eshop won't run.

but what if you backup nand on 4.5 ,update to 6.xx ,buy from eshop ,downgrade back to 4.5 ,then go back up to 6.xx ?will eshop games still work ,or they only dont work when on lower fw?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
but what if you backup nand on 4.5 ,update to 6.xx ,buy from eshop ,downgrade back to 4.5 ,then go back up to 6.xx ?will eshop games still work ,or they only dont work when on lower fw?
I'm not entirely sure, I don't think anybody's tried that since the 3DS eshop is tied to the system and not an account, it might not remember your purchase and you may have wasted the money and need to rebuy it again.

Because nobody's going to call Nintendo and be all "Yeah I bought a game and then I was voiding the warranty by flashing the NAND and I lost the license info can you reactivate it for me?"

profi200

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Downgrading removes all tickets of the contents in NAND, which doesn't exist at the time, at which the dump was made. The 3DS deletes all titles without a genuine ticket!

And btw. I read everywhere "custom firmware". This should be clear: It's not possible without a bootrom exploit, because of signature checking. No one knows, if NAND emulation is possible in the future. It should be stickyed to avoid these dreamers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Downgrading removes all tickets of the contents in NAND, which doesn't exist at the time, at which the dump was made. The 3DS deletes all titles without a genuine ticket!

And btw. I read everywhere "custom firmware". This should be clear: It's not possible without a bootrom exploit, because of signature checking. No one knows, if NAND emulation is possible in the future. It should be stickyed to avoid these dreamers.

No chance of a soft reboot into hacked firmware/dash/loader/kernel/menu?

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not entirely sure, I don't think anybody's tried that since the 3DS eshop is tied to the system and not an account, it might not remember your purchase and you may have wasted the money and need to rebuy it again.

Because nobody's going to call Nintendo and be all "Yeah I bought a game and then I was voiding the warranty by flashing the NAND and I lost the license info can you reactivate it for me?"

"nobody's going to call Nintendo and be all "Yeah I bought a game and then I was voiding the warranty by flashing the NAND and I lost the license info can you reactivate it for me?"

well you wouldnt have to call nintendo to find out, someone could just DL the cheapest eshop title and then experiment and see what happens

AgoraphobicNosebleed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just downloaded MK7 from the eshop and flashed back to 4.4 then back to 6.3 and MK 7 is still there. Of course the game didn't show up under 4.5 but it wasn't deleted from the sd card.

Reactions: weatMod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk