Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In essence, raw CPU speed is only part of the puzzle. Architectural differences, translating code from one CPU architecture for another system's to understand takes a considerable amount of power to do. MIPS (PSX, PSP, etc) to ARM (DS, 3DS) is no easy task. The 3DS simply hasn't the power to emulate the PSP, the PSX, maybe, but full speed? Not likely. But again, it also depends on code optimizations, how well it's written, how much of the 3DS hardware can actually be utilized when homebrew apps are executed. Snes shouldn't be too hard, nor should Genesis, GBA, but N64, PSX, all we can do is wait. Who knows, maybe I'm spouting off bullshit and I don't know what the crap I'm talking about, I hope I'm at least somewhat correct :rofl2:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well then it was either CFW overriding the check, or the fact that homebrew could run in kernel-mode meant they didn't need to pass a check in the first place?

According to the article itself, homebrewers were able to change the clockspeed from the get-go since it was merely a matter of changing the stepping anyways, it's just the official developers that couldn't use anything beyond 222MHz and later 266MHz.

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
alright, mega-reply time !

pretty awesome what you have done and very interesting

was the image/video on the screen using the 3D?

what have been been able to show and incorporate?

does sound work?
make one that plays the gullie theme :P

the demo shown in the video was not in 3D, but 3D does work and I have played with it a little. it's all very basic for now as i only draw stuff through framebuffers, but it still works.
no idea about sound, have not looked into it.
right now as I've mentioned i'm still just barely in and a lot of work remains to be done before we can get "real" homebrew running. but it should just be a matter of time as there aren't really any security barriers left in our way. so the programs i've been running so far (except for that shitty demo) have been more exploratory/debugging than anything. for instance i have some simple text output code running but it's not for games or whatever. :P

Big deal, another hacker showing off something they will never release. This aint the first example, but I certainly hope it will be the last.

again, i didn't say i would never release... there's just nothing to release yet (and there may never be, i can't promise I'll be able to go through with all the work that remains to be done). if you want this just be patient, no need to be a dick.

Smealum, maybe you can work together with Gateway to make a homebrew library??

maybe. tbh i'm kind of wary of them considering they're obviously in it for the cash and don't have a problem enabling piracy... but maybe we can find some sort of common ground, who knows.

but is this the same exploit as gateway? and is it using a red card to load the code? or does it load from the SD card? i assume since its 4.5 it is kernel level and you can load code from either the cart slot or the SD right?

same exploit as gateway yes, but no special hardware required. (except for a way to run DS mode code on a 3DS, like an SCDS2 or an R4 3DS... or bangai-o...) the code is indeed loaded from the SD card.

why you using a pencil as a stylus? hehe
as i've mentioned in the youtube comments, pencils4life.

Looks like the same exploit as the video that was released a week or two ago, whether shared with smealum or rediscovered independently (or discovered by smealum in the first place and shared with whoever made the other video).
we each got there completely independantly. interestingly enough, using completely different methods too ! I'm in contact with plutoo, hopefully we can work together to move forward.

That makes sense. Can't devs use homebrew to get information from the system?

yes. it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, saying that if we don't have a library there's not point in releasing the exploit, but if people don't have the exploit they can't work on the library. so that might seem hypocritical.
however, right now we're not even on the level of being able to write a library ourselves. I think we need to understand more what's going on exactly, figure out a nice, clean and safe way to run code, and then we can think about writing a library/toolchain/releasing. and if/when it does come to that, i'm sure we'll work with wintermute and the devkitpro crew to make it happen.

It is "Bangai-O" but the relevance of the cartridge in the 3DS is unknown. He may be loading his code from the SD card (although I highly doubt it at this point in time), he may be loading it from an altered save file on the cartridge (way more likely), he may be loading from the DS Profile itself (which can't contain a whole lot of data) - we don't know where the unsigned code is located.

bangai-o is mostly there because it's my only way of running DS mode code on my 3DS as I don't have a 3DS compatible flashcart... also most code is loaded from the SD card. i have other uses for my bangai-o cartridge but mostly just that.

i just cringed seeing a pencil used as a stylus D:

cheers for the link
don't worry... it's not sharpened :P

Zaneris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just one more question , please : Is there a chance this will work on above 4.5 FW?

I read somewhere that FW 5.0 patched the ability to run executable code via the DS Profile stack crash exploit, could be completely wrong about that, but it would limit what he's doing to FW 4.5

Keep up the good work smea!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere that FW 5.0 patched the ability to run executable code via the DS Profile stack crash exploit, could be completely wrong about that, but it would limit what he's doing to FW 4.5

Keep up the good work smea!

Ah bollocks. Abandon hope, all ye who want a homebrew channel on <6.2 firmware in the near future!:creep:

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
or bangai-o...

mwYLYfA.jpg

Boy12

NOT a new member!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

the demo shown in the video was not in 3D, but 3D does work and I have played with it a little. it's all very basic for now as i only draw stuff through framebuffers, but it still works.
right now as I've mentioned i'm still just barely in and a lot of work remains to be done before we can get "real" homebrew running. but it should just be a matter of time as there aren't really any security barriers left in our way. so the programs i've been running so far (except for that shitty demo) have been more exploratory/debugging than anything. for instance i have some simple text output code running but it's not for games or whatever. :P

again, i didn't say i would never release... there's just nothing to release yet (and there may never be, i can't promise I'll be able to go through with all the work that remains to be done). if you want this just be patient, no need to be a dick.

maybe. tbh i'm kind of wary of them considering they're obviously in it for the cash and don't have a problem enabling piracy... but maybe we can find some sort of common ground, who knows.

same exploit as gateway yes, but no special hardware required. (except for a way to run DS mode code on a 3DS, like an SCDS2 or an R4 3DS... or bangai-o...) the code is indeed loaded from the SD card.

we each got there completely independantly. interestingly enough, using completely different methods too ! I'm in contact with plutoo, hopefully we can work together to move forward.

yes. it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, saying that if we don't have a library there's not point in releasing the exploit, but if people don't have the exploit they can't work on the library. so that might seem hypocritical.
however, right now we're not even on the level of being able to write a library ourselves. I think we need to understand more what's going on exactly, figure out a nice, clean and safe way to run code, and then we can think about writing a library/toolchain/releasing. and if/when it does come to that, i'm sure we'll work with wintermute and the devkitpro crew to make it happen.

bangai-o is mostly there because it's my only way of running DS mode code on my 3DS as I don't have a 3DS compatible flashcart... also most code is loaded from the SD card. i have other uses for my bangai-o cartridge but mostly just that.

I have 1 more question for you...
When a exploit will be released (doesn't matter from who), will there alway's be an R4 or any other flashcard needed to run the exploit? Or do you think it also will be softmod (running the exploit without a card).?
If you need a flashcard, i might order a cheap R4 card that work's with 4.5 and up, because that other fake shit card got blocked, and since i don't really play DS games anymore, i didn't see the point of getting a new one.

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, sorry for my ignorance...
what is bangai-o cartridge? i have see a ds games on amazon called bangai-o spirit, bangai is a software house?
Now, i have understand that:
Gateway use the Profile ds way for write some on 3ds, other people in this thread say " u can't write lot of code on profile hack..." so smealum have use gateway hack not for GATEWAYHACK writer but for show a simple demo... right?

dot7z

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, sorry for my ignorance...
what is bangai-o cartridge? i have see a ds games on amazon called bangai-o spirit, bangai is a software house?

Bangai-O Spirits is a fun little game for the DS. Bangai-O is the name of the robot in the game, the developer is Treasure.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's safe to say that there will be no hacks for 6.0? I'm quite tired of the update message for 6.13, and i'm on 6.12
The 3ds mode exploit only works from 4.1~4.5 just like gateway because they use the same exploit. Nintendo patched the exploit in 5.0.

IMRAN_PETER

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria

Even if you cant finish the project I am happy that you gave a little hope, buddy....:)
Well wishes for u and all who helped/will help to get more deeper into 3DS....:)

**bit off topic** I finished and love both Portal and Portal 2 in my ps3. Didnt tried your DS version of portal yet as I own only 3DS. Thanks for the great project, buddy....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...