Status
Not open for further replies.

totos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's even worse - the PSP is much weaker than the 3DS. There isn't enough of a gap between them to allow emulation of the PSP on the 3DS - if you want to play PSP games, your only options are PC, PSP, PSVita and Android.
Oh ok.... i will never see mh4 on psp.... thats a...... :cry: crap

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sorry for my english.. but.. i want say:
3ds have ENOUGH power for emulate a PSP.... (not viceversa.. offcourse... psp can't launch 3ds games)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
3ds have ENOUGH power for emulate a PSP.... (not viceversa.. offcourse... psp can't launch 3ds games)

No, it doesn't. The 3DS has more power than the PSP, sure, but it does not have enough power to emulate the PSP. Emulating a system requires considerably more power than the original system had.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As SirJaf said, no. Only now we're seeing full speed emulation of the DS on smartphones (and I'm mentioning smartphones because they're based on practically the same technology as handheld consoles) and those are usually way, way beefier than the 3DS. The PSP was not only far stronger in terms of specs than the DS and as such would require much stronger hardware to emulate it, it was also based on heavily customized hardware and had a MIPS processor, posing even more challenges on ARM-based platforms.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Make a sticky thread already. 3DS has more capable GPU but similar CPU power.

It's actually beefier in both areas, it's simply not "beefy enough". Playable emulation requires 3 to even 9 times the processing power of the target machine unless you can virtualize, and in this case you really can't.

Reactions: raulpica

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4,
PSX CPU (R3000) is roughly 1 dmips per mhz
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/indexer.php?file=DSA00504090.pdf&dir=Datasheet-029&keywords=1/R3000 mips&database=user-highscore#

R4000 is higher than that. 1.1-1.2

ARM11 ARMv6Z is 1.25 (max) dmips per mhz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ARM_microprocessor_cores

R4000 @333MHz 366-400 dmips
ARM11 ARMv6K @268MHz is 335 dmips maximum.

I did not search about FPU difference though.
PSP:
Embedded FPU
Embedded Vector FPU @ 3.2 GFLOPS

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4, I did not search about FPU difference though.
*sighs* Just trust me on this one, it's not going to happen. You're not accounting for any architecture differences at all. I have no doubt that some PoC version might pop up somewhere down the line, but it won't be anywhere near playable. Even if you count both of the 3DS's cores, you have nowhere near the processing power to pull it off at playabe speeds. You have twice the DMIPS if you count both cores and that's just not enough.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
dmips per mhz is pretty common for CPU comparisons with different architectures.
Oh, sure thing. I'm merely saying that you don't have enough "push" - a lot of instructions are going to be wasted just on interpreting/decompiling, not to mention emulating hardware outside of the CPU. You need quite a bit of a horsepower margin to pull off playable emulation. I acknowledge that the 3DS is superior to the PSP in terms of specs and it'd be unacceptable if it wasn't - the PSP is last generation hardware, I just think it doesn't have anywhere near enough under the hood to emulate the PSP properly.

Reactions: raulpica

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
If you look at my post closely you can see that upclocked to 333Mhz PSP CPU could possibly be faster than 3DS one at stock speed :)

And lastgen/nextgen argument does not apply to Nintendo :D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you look at my post closely you can see that upclocked to 333Mhz PSP CPU could possibly be faster than 3DS one at stock speed :)

And lastgen/nextgen argument does not apply to Nintendo :D

I did look closely at it. 333MHz is actually the CPU's stock speed - the PSP was originally sold underclocked for the sake of longer battery life, this was later corrected by a firmware update.

As for the argument not applying to Nintendo, the only Nintendo systems that didn't "wow" in terms of specs were the DS and the Wii - the rest of their systems were acceptable or surpassing expectiations, so it's hardly a tradition.

Well... technically the GBA could've been better, the N-Gage topping it nearly ten-fold... but we know how the N-Gage ended up. :P The later Game Boys in general could've been buffed up a bit, but they didn't need that due to absolute dominance of the market.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't it locked out in the OFW though until 3.50 rolled in? I'm pretty sure it was... :unsure:
I've never seen anything to back that up, in fact the earliest rumors were that 6.x unlocked it since it was needed for that one GoW game and the KH game (which both could use 333mhz optionally in the game settings), but since CFW's been using it forever with kernel-mode homebrew Idunno' if it was a CFW unlock first.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've never seen anything to back that up, in fact the earliest rumors were that 6.x unlocked it since it was needed for that one GoW game and the KH game (which both could use 333mhz optionally in the game settings), but since CFW's been using it forever with kernel-mode homebrew Idunno' if it was a CFW unlock first.
Sony themselves (SCEA) confirmed that 3.5FW unlocked the mode, apparently.

http://www.dailytech.com/PSP 35 Firmware Unlocks Higher 333MHz Clockspeed/article7796.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Only 666 dollars for 24TBs lol