Skyrim too boring/easy for you?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Meh, I got the Platinum trophy on the PS3 version so as far as I'm concerned it's finished.

that is why there is dlc, so you are anything but finished (apart from the main story that is) as for the topic, does this mean 1.9 has been released for consoles then?

I don't really get the whole "skill reset to 15" concept.
does that mean you become shitty at that particular skill? does that mean if you want to reset your one-handed skill to 15, every single blow you strike at enemies will only deal tiny damage? :wtf:
I must be missing something, who would want that? I mean, I get it that it allows you to level up more, but... since enemies are leveled too, at some point if you deal shitty damage it would become literally impossible to kill enemies ?

you can still try something else like unarmed, bow and arrow, 2 handed, so the game wont be completely broken, also if you are on consoles and you want the game to be really difficult don't smith any weapons or armour, that's if you really want a challenge.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can side with Bortz on this.

It's not just that the game is too easy (Though it's stupidly easy to break the economy of the game, and Stealth Archers are laughably overpowered), but the game isn't designed very well. The main quest is insultingly bad, the side quests are almost entirely unmemorable (I think the one I remember most was the dumb Hangover rip off, and I sequence broke that on accident), the guild questlines are all kind of samey (Join guild - do jobs - find dark secret/get betrayed - fight - Become leader), the civil war conflict at the heart of the game produces nothing but apathy and indifference, having to fight the same draugr over and over and over again, dumbed down combat, etc.

I've heard someone describe Skyrim as a vast ocean with the depth of a puddle, and I think that's accurate. It's mesmerizing and dazzling at first, but that shine quickly wears off, revealing all the faults just under the surface.

...I might have gotten a bit sidetracked, but the point is, the game has a lot of problems, and just adding a new difficulty isn't going to make much of a difference.

Reactions: BortzANATOR

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, its more on a personal level rather than me despising the game. Skyrim, in all of its glory and greatness, isnt a game I find myself wanting to play. I have watched a few hours of Oblivion and countless hours of Skyrim played by friends. The general idea is that can be whatever you choose. But the difficulty isnt there. I dont remember seeing a friend die because of lack of preparation, nor the game being too difficult.

Relevance to the thread behind, Games with a limited and muted color palette turn me off almost instantly. Multiple times have i had to put down Fire Emblem Awakening because of how boring everything looks in grays and tans. I appreciate the feel that Skyrim is going for, as well as the Norse theology and architecture, but to me personally, it comes off dull.

The world is boring as well. Every two feet there is a new settlements, or fortress, whatever. And why on earth didnt they set this game up to be generated every time you started a new game? Everything is in the same place the different play throughs. Dragons are weak and dont take much to kill.

I dont konw. Its just not the game for me.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's not just that the game is too easy (Though it's stupidly easy to break the economy of the game, and Stealth Archers are laughably overpowered), but the game isn't designed very well. The main quest is insultingly bad, the side quests are almost entirely unmemorable (I think the one I remember most was the dumb Hangover rip off, and I sequence broke that on accident), the guild questlines are all kind of samey (Join guild - do jobs - find dark secret/get betrayed - fight - Become leader), the civil war conflict at the heart of the game produces nothing but apathy and indifference, having to fight the same draugr over and over and over again, dumbed down combat, etc.

I've heard someone describe Skyrim as a vast ocean with the depth of a puddle, and I think that's accurate. It's mesmerizing and dazzling at first, but that shine quickly wears off, revealing all the faults just under the surface.

...I might have gotten a bit sidetracked, but the point is, the game has a lot of problems, and just adding a new difficulty isn't going to make much of a difference.
Is there a gaming equivalent of "hipster" or do we still just use "hipster"?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The game isn't easy. It's easy to break for sure, but not easy on it's own. Stealth anything isn't a flaw. It's there for people who want to play that way. Too easy? Play a combat archer and tank everything, or play a Two Handed glass cannon. Set limitations like certain weight capacities for potions, no potions, etc. I'm interested in why you think the main quest is bad. I could provide several reasons as to why it's a good example of why ES lore is awesome. Sanguine is the Daedra of debauchery, and the Hangover isn't anything original itself... Guild Quests are meh. Civil War... Meh, it was okay. Draugr get annoying. Dumbed down combat? It's been the same since Oblivion and Morrowind was terrible by comparison. If you mean streamline, then yes, Skyrim has dumbed down combat.

I think it's more of an ocean with the depth of a swimming pool. Puddle is just a bit harsh.

Reactions: jalaneme

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game isn't easy. It's easy to break for sure, but not easy on it's own. Stealth anything isn't a flaw. It's there for people who want to play that way. Too easy? Play a combat archer and tank everything, or play a Two Handed glass cannon. Set limitations like certain weight capacities for potions, no potions, etc. I'm interested in why you think the main quest is bad. I could provide several reasons as to why it's a good example of why ES lore is awesome. Sanguine is the Daedra of debauchery, and the Hangover isn't anything original itself... Guild Quests are meh. Civil War... Meh, it was okay. Draugr get annoying. Dumbed down combat? It's been the same since Oblivion and Morrowind was terrible by comparison. If you mean streamline, then yes, Skyrim has dumbed down combat.

I'd say it's easy and easy to break. You can turn up the difficulty, sure, but that only means you die faster and enemies die slower. It's less a test of skill and more of a test of patience; it's not a meaningful challenge.

Yes, Skyrim's ludicrous lack of balance is definitely a flaw. If a player has to balance the game for the designers, that's indicative of poor design.

Where to begin with the main quest? A complete lack of interesting characters (the poor voice acting did not help), a plot filled to the brim with stock, worn cliches ("An ancient evil... yadda yaddda... the prophecy... yadda yadda... the chosen one, etc.), dull missions, stiff and awkward set pieces, and a weak, anticlimactic conclusion. The main quest just sort of stops unceremoniously. Not to mention, the main quest lacked any real impetus. For a plot about the end of times, there was a lack of any sense of desperation or hopelessness.

And it's not like open world RPGs can't have strong, interesting plots - New Vegas (just to use a recent, Bethesda-related example) is more than proof of that.

As for the "A Night to Remember"quest... come on, man. I'm not saying that the movie was 100% original (or great or anything), but the inspiration for that quest is blatantly obvious.

The guilds were really a step down, especially the Dark Brotherhood questline. At least in Oblivion, there were a few quests I remember (the quest where you have to whittle down the other inhabitants of the house is a highlight for the entire game); not so in Skyrim. The creative spark just seemed to be gone. With the Civil War... I guess they were trying for grey and grey morality, but they just made both sides so unlikeable that it was impossible to care (AKA Dragon Age 2 syndrome). Not to mention that the missions got old fast... /Tangent

If "streamlined" is the euphemism that you want to use, well, knock yourself out.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, its more on a personal level rather than me despising the game. Skyrim, in all of its glory and greatness, isnt a game I find myself wanting to play. I have watched a few hours of Oblivion and countless hours of Skyrim played by friends. The general idea is that can be whatever you choose. But the difficulty isnt there. I dont remember seeing a friend die because of lack of preparation, nor the game being too difficult.

Relevance to the thread behind, Games with a limited and muted color palette turn me off almost instantly. Multiple times have i had to put down Fire Emblem Awakening because of how boring everything looks in grays and tans. I appreciate the feel that Skyrim is going for, as well as the Norse theology and architecture, but to me personally, it comes off dull.

The world is boring as well. Every two feet there is a new settlements, or fortress, whatever. And why on earth didnt they set this game up to be generated every time you started a new game? Everything is in the same place the different play throughs. Dragons are weak and dont take much to kill.

I dont konw. Its just not the game for me.
I've tried my best to like Skyrim too, I can't help feeling like all I'm doing is wasting my time in that game, I get really anxious and feel bad about it. I don't know why but I'm really impatient when I'm not having fun, in games at least. Minecraft is another one of those games where I 90% of the time feel like I'm doing nothing. I don't care about lore and that sort of stuff and if I wanted stealth gameplay there are many other excellent games that does this much better without all the unnecessary huge world filler gameplay.

Agree with you on FE:A, only complaint I had about the FE:A demo was the lack of colors.

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I got the Platinum trophy on the PS3 version so as far as I'm concerned it's finished.
Exact same reason why I sold my copy......
And yea, I'm still glad I did, despite my OP saying I wish I hadn't.

Unless a game has fun multiplayer, I really don't see a need to play a game any further than Platinum.

I'm currently trying to platinum Ni No Kuni though..... It'll probably take longer than Skyrim took me to platinum, TBH.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's easy and easy to break. You can turn up the difficulty, sure, but that only means you die faster and enemies die slower. It's less a test of skill and more of a test of patience; it's not a meaningful challenge.

Yes, Skyrim's ludicrous lack of balance is definitely a flaw. If a player has to balance the game for the designers, that's indicative of poor design.

Where to begin with the main quest? A complete lack of interesting characters (the poor voice acting did not help), a plot filled to the brim with stock, worn cliches ("An ancient evil... yadda yaddda... the prophecy... yadda yadda... the chosen one, etc.), dull missions, stiff and awkward set pieces, and a weak, anticlimactic conclusion. The main quest just sort of stops unceremoniously. Not to mention, the main quest lacked any real impetus. For a plot about the end of times, there was a lack of any sense of desperation or hopelessness.

And it's not like open world RPGs can't have strong, interesting plots - New Vegas (just to use a recent, Bethesda-related example) is more than proof of that.

As for the "A Night to Remember"quest... come on, man. I'm not saying that the movie was 100% original (or great or anything), but the inspiration for that quest is blatantly obvious.

The guilds were really a step down, especially the Dark Brotherhood questline. At least in Oblivion, there were a few quests I remember (the quest where you have to whittle down the other inhabitants of the house is a highlight for the entire game); not so in Skyrim. The creative spark just seemed to be gone. With the Civil War... I guess they were trying for grey and grey morality, but they just made both sides so unlikeable that it was impossible to care (AKA Dragon Age 2 syndrome). Not to mention that the missions got old fast... /Tangent

If "streamlined" is the euphemism that you want to use, well, knock yourself out.
It's a test of patience over skill if you play a stealth archer 100 percent of the time. Enemies do more damage while you do less. You don't see that if you never put yourself in harm's way. You're severely limiting your enjoyment if you play one type of character then stop.

No, it isn't. You don't have to limit yourself to have a good time. I could chug all the potions I want to prevent death and still have fun. In a single player game where everything is on the player to enjoy, you make most of the decisions to limit yourself. A developer cannot anticipate every possible way a player can do something in a game so large as Skyrim. If you try to argue this, I will preempt any argument you could possibly provide by calling your experience with open world video game development and your common sense into question. Don't make me do that.

I also don't see how the voice acting is bad. They had a varied and experienced cast. Compared to Oblivion, they pulled out all the stops. The main quest had the most intriguing missions. The infiltration of the Thalmor Embassy was one of the best experiences I've ever had in an ES game. The discovery of Sky Ruler Temple was epic and the final battle? While it should have been tougher, it was fitting.

Fighting in Sovengarde against the World Eater. You meet ancient heroes from across time. You join forces with those who came before you to end the tyranny of Alduin until the end is really supposed to come. When all is said and done, you're promised a place in the hall of heroes among both gods and men.

How else is it supposed to stop? You've defeated the method of Nirn's destruction. There's no greater achievement in Skyrim.

Please, explain to me why you think combat was "dumbed down". I really want to hear this, and what game you're comparing it to.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exactly my first point but 1000hrs? I am of the opinion that a game that requires so many hrs is excessive
I guess we shall have to agree to disagree
It doesn't require that many hours. I could have played 50 hours and been completely satisfied with my purchase. Doing something I love never gets old.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is whacking an enemy with your sword until they fall down, or shooting magic at them until they die, or some combination, any more a test of skill? Skyrim's combat, for the most part, doesn't really require much in the way of skill, dexterity, or strategy. It's just, kind of, there.

A developer is responsible for testing their systems and ensuring that it's functional and balanced. There's really no getting around that. Sure, if these were little problems, I could understand - it's a massive game, after all. But we're talking about the economy and leveling system, fundamental parts of the game, and they are stupidly easy to break (by accident, no less!). They messed up. That's on them. Players shouldn't have to compensate on their behalf just to create a "balanced" experience.

I also don't see how the voice acting is bad.

...Did you mute the game?

The cast is somewhat better than Oblivion, I'll give you that, but that's not saying much at all. Beyond the main characters, which is where I think most of the VA budget went (seriously, they hired Claudia Christian and gave her practically nothing to do), the bad line readings and stilted dialogue are still very much present. Ferengar Secret-Fire is the norm, not the exception.

The infiltration of the Thalmor Embassy was one of the best experiences I've ever had in an ES game.

I remember that mission, and let me tell you... if that's the case, that speaks very poorly for The Elder Scrolls franchise.

The discovery of Sky Ruler Temple was epic

The hike up the mountain was probably the strongest moment of the main quest, but "epic"? Uh... let's not get carried away here.

As for that ending... see, the problem is, it's "cool" on paper. That doesn't mean the execution works. Hardly. The idea of going to the afterlife is neat, but they don't do anything with it. You just show up and walk down a path. Skyrim's biggest strength lies in its exploration, and here they give you no real freedom to explore whatsoever (you can go off the path but there's nothing to do or find, if I remember correctly). So you walk down the path, get some buddies, and face the big bad dragon... and that's it. You just hit him until he falls. It should feel like the epic culmination of your quest and instead it's... basically just another dragon fight. Sure, he might have some different attacks, but you've already killed tons of dragons by this point.

So you defeat him and save the universe. What do you get? What's your reward? The modern day day equivalent of this. Then you go back to Skyrim and... nothing's changed. Nobody cares aside from maybe a few throwaway lines from NPCs here and there. Sure, your "character" (a practically mute cipher) is promised a seat, but that's something that we, the player, never experience. It's a narrative I.O.U. And that's terrible.

It's not enough to just tell the player "You've saved the world!" The first rule of narrative is "Show, don't tell" and it's all "tell" here.

"Unsatisfactory" doesn't even begin to do it justice.

(Also, another nitpick, but good god does it bug me. For a game all about free exploration they sure do like to lock your character in place every chance they get. Come on, Bethesda, Half Life 2 got this right 10 years ago!)

As for your last point, I don't know, have you played a little game called... Oblivion? Hell, just look at magic. No custom spells, spells aren't tied to schools of magic (so my restoration specialist can also just pull out necromancy spells without any points in there whatsoever), etc. Or how about armor going from six pieces to five. Weapons no longer degrade. The finishers feel completely out of place, and only serve to yank you out of combat. Just to name a few gripes.

I'm not against making changes or cutting features if they don't work (And let's not pretend that combat was ever TES' strong suit), but this goes beyond that. Skyrim feels stripped down, not refined, and I think it suffers for it.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've played Oblivion through and through. They had like ten VAs voicing the entire cast, so I'd say Skyrim's VAing is more than marginally better than Oblivion's.

If you're that concerned about tedium, then you're speaking good of the Armorer skill? That's was tedium in and of itself. It was an entire redundant skill to making your weapons stay at 100. Carry 20 hammers with you and never worry about it again. That was endgame for the layman's armorer. It was absolutely stupid.

As for custom spells? I can't say I don't miss them, but you can't say "combat" and refer to just spells. If you had said magic, then I'd be much more inclined to say you're right (because you would be then). Armor went to five because it streamlined performance on consoles. It allowed more people on screen at once with Skyrim's level of graphics. You complain about PS3's performance, then don't complain about the armor. Finishers aren't any more out of place than the laughable ragdoll death animations.

Honestly, Skyrim is a step up from Oblivion in all kinds of ways, and leaps over Morrowind. In rare cases it is indeed a step back, but I digress.

D

Deleted-236924

exactly my first point but 1000hrs? i am principle that a game that requires soo many hrs is excessive
agree to disagree
Missing the point?
If you're enjoying your time, why does it matter if it's thousands of hours or just a few?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I beat this game but I am going back to continue three different levels:

Hearthfire
Dawnguard
Dragonborn

Its fun and unfinishing levels. I want to finish this game 100%. I am on 62% or so right now according to trophy statement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: