Hacking Sky3ds is out, people

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
i wonder if powersave can detect this card or not ?

wait , the 10 game is not changeable ?
i thought it can be changed
WTF ?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$120 for a flash cart.
Flash cart can only load 10 games. Ever.

I really don't get the point of this, why release a product with such a glaring drawback?
Gateway already hinted that they're working on support for later firmwares as well, and their cart doesn't have a game limit. It's also only like $75.

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$120 for a flash cart.
Flash cart can only load 10 games. Ever.

I really don't get the point of this, why release a product with such a glaring drawback?
Gateway already hinted that they're working on support for later firmwares as well, and their cart doesn't have a game limit. It's also only like $75.

$120, you're looking at the overpriced sites. On average I found them on around $80, lowest maybe was 75.

The 10 games isn't a draw back to me, it's depending on each person's needs. I buy all my games anyway. But specific games like Pokemon where you cannot have multiple saves, I'd like to use a Flash Cart to avoid wiping out my existing saves. So this would fit me perfectly. But the concern I read is you can only load the games the 1 time. So if I only load 5 games, it's locked in at those 5 and I cannot load another 5. But that's just speculation someone wrote, I'd love to get confirmation on this.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think they mean that once the first 10 games have been loaded then the limit has been reached, it's probably just a translation error. We soon see though some people who ordered the card should be getting them soon, so we will soon find out.........................sudeki300

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this has been explained so many times and people still find it hard to get their heads around it, the limit is 10

10 games on one micro sd card, that's it, you cannot change microsd with different games as the sky3ds will not read them. if you want to do that you have to buy another sky3ds card. how many times has this question been asked and still people do not understand.

you can load 1 game the first time it but once you reach to the 10 linit it will not allow any more roms to be read by the card. it's up to you how you add the cards to micro sd card. but don't think that you can load one and delete it off the card and put another on there and load that as that will still count as two roms, the previous ron will be held on the card.................................sudeki300

What a Piece of shit card. Better off just going to ebay and buying 10 games used.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its an interesting discussion - to see what different people think of this card.

If you ask me, the 10-game limit isn't necessarily the big hurdle in and of itself.
The regionlocking and no homebrew would be a bigger problem.
The question there being, how and why is there a 10-game limit.

As been pointed out, it is *technically* possible that the method they used to make this work is by using some internal chip that "recognizes" a game put onto the card.
And that these chips can only store a limited number of games. Hence also the button to cycle games, because it'll tap along to other games.
Because of the way its played, it is played like a "normal" game, and that would explain the region lock - as opposed to the other cards that work around this mechanic.
Now if all of that is true, then this card would in all probability be indistinguishable from "real" cards - unless Nintendo marks each and every individual game with a code and starts checking for 'multiple serials' in use online so to speak. (And then they can block that entire ID and make a rom useless).
Ofcourse thats pure speculation.

So, the question there being. Is the 10-game limit a hardware limitation (a chip that could store more than 10 games would be more expensive...) or is it an intentional software one.
If its a hardware limitation then it automatically leads to the next "assumption" - which is that Gateway will probably not be able to reproduce it on their current cards.
Because these cards would 'lack' this chip to store the data. (Again speculation.)
On the other hand, if there's another workaround, and this limit is purely for monetary gain (sell more cards before the exploit gets figured out) and a software-based solution is in effect. Then Gateway CAN make it work with their current cards and we'll likely see SKY3DS release the limit once Gateway does so they'd both support more games.

None of which we can be sure of right now though.
I'm glad to see that several people have gotten their hands on the card already and are "testing" it as we speak.
And I'm sure that there will be those that figure out how it works soon enough.

Kandern97

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not really. Gateway will stay relevant for a long time.
Once you discover just how limited Sky3DS is, you'll still want to go and buy a 4.5 3DS + GW.

I meant that more in the context of there actually being competitors, 7.x keys leaked, cfw - which leads to the dev menu working on non-gw 4.5 systems, and cias becoming relevant to end-users. Smea may never release SSSpwn, but he's close, and if he does, that will explode the 3DS scene. It will be a lot more open, and GW won't be able to control it the same way. Plus it kinda looks like this might be happening already, because not soon after SKY3DS was announced GW 2.5b and we get that obvious and snarky remark. And then just bit before the Sky3DS is released, GW 2.6b with support for dev menu and installing cias. Correct me if I'm misreading this play, but it seems like GW jumped the gun and kinda shat themselves when SKY3DS became a thing. I'm still a noob as you can tell, and I'm young. This is my first time being part of a community based on hacking. The closest I got was when I hacked my Wii when I was 12, but I got into the game so late then, that I couldn't hardly make sense of anything. I'm 17 now, but young people are idealistic and sometimes say things they don't mean, so excuse any stupidity and ignorance if present.

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the 10 game limit doesn't make any sense. The only non-rewritable memory that I know of is optical media CD,DVDs and the like. Im assuming the data is being stored on flash memory so if someone can get to the chip, you should be able to rewrite it.

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
the 10 game limit doesn't make any sense. The only non-rewritable memory that I know of is optical media CD,DVDs and the like. Im assuming the data is being stored on flash memory so if someone can get to the chip, you should be able to rewrite it.

optical media is rewritable but who use it any more ? i used to for windows os installation but now it's done from a usb flash drive. :)

warnings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bet U if you loaded 10 games to card and played them until bored...restored Nand with your backup image prior to using the cart...you'll get a fresh start and 10 new entries available.
I think if they could have done a "hero hack" they would of.
Meaning 10 game limit is for a reason, not greed.

FearItSelf23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, it's being burned onto a ROM which isn't rewritable. ITT people who don't understand that the way this thing is working is by basically being an actual 3ds cart. You are burning the rom image onto the ROM and then it's there for good. There are no exploits or anything being used which is why it work.

It doesn't have region bypassing or homebrew because nothing unsigned is being run. You are basically building a cart that just has 10 carts inside of it. The 3DS sees it as an official game based on which ROM is currently active.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, it's being burned onto a ROM which isn't rewritable. ITT people who don't understand that the way this thing is working is by basically being an actual 3ds cart. You are burning the rom image onto the ROM and then it's there for good. There are no exploits or anything being used which is why it work.

It doesn't have region bypassing or homebrew because nothing unsigned is being run. You are basically building a cart that just has 10 carts inside of it. The 3DS sees it as an official game based on which ROM is currently active.
While I'm pretty sure we still lack conclusive proof - this seems the most likely option if the 10 game limit is indeed not artificial.
Which is to say that a higher limit is possible, but would need different (probably more expensive) hardware.
It'd also mean that the current Gateway cards aren't going to be able to use this.

That said, we don't have conclusive proof that this IS the case. So I figure lets all wait untill people are done with their tinkering.
Its only been a few days, and most SKY3DS cards haven't even been delivered yet.

Meteo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
optical media is rewritable but who use it any more ? i used to for windows os installation but now it's done from a usb flash drive. :)
yes but only the specificly rewritable ones and even then, they have a limited number of rewrites. The regular CD/DVDs or pressed cds are not since you are physically etching the disc with a laser.

What you said doesn't make any since either. ROM "burning" as you call it requires specialized equipment that include stuff like high voltages or UV light to literally burn the data onto the chip. That equipment is usually only available at the manufacturer's factory. Unless they managed to pack that ability onto this cart or theres some new technology Im not aware of, I would be interested to hear more about it.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
up to this point the issues have been software related, sky3ds presents a hardware roadblock and theres not much they can do about it. its like needing a better video card for your pc, you cant just download a new one.

unless gateway finds an exploit to run on the latest firmware, they'll have to resort to releasing a new card. I can see them releasing a hybrid gateway/sky3ds card without the 10 game limit in the near future.
There. This assumption. It makes no sense. Nobody has reverse-engineered the card yet except for, probably, the competing flashcard teams. There is absolutely no evidence that Sky3DS is doing much more than spoofing its identity so that the 3DS recognizes it as a legitimate card; otherwise, it's not an entry point of any sort, it's not even an exploit. As smealum has proved again and again, there are still software holes in the firmware the size of a bus, and all Team Gateway would have to do beyond the point smealum's code has reached is to find a way to evolve the exploit into a kernel exploit. Even if this takes some time, they will eventually get to it. They have everything to lose from not doing so, even more with CFWs emerging. They will not go down quietly.

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I was thinking instead of buying the new Sky 3DS cart. I might get another SD card and try to back my NAND. So I could downgrade my current firmware. I mean. I already have 9x on my new XL. So I might be screwed over

CFallenleaf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's clearly a huge hardware difference. First of all, Gateway isn't recognized as a retail cart. It also doesn't have a hardware button. If Gateway could have implemented this technology as software they would have already.
I still think you dont know what you are talking about.

Heres the simple reason why.

Gateways blue cart is a copy of an r4. Its recognized as a ds mode cart in your 3ds. So you change the coding of the gateway to something similiar to this and its recognized. You saying it different hardware is also ridiculous. It probably almost exactly the same. Its a chip. A memory chip. And maybe an fpga. All which gateway have.

So it seems to me its a simple matter of coding and you have no clue what you are talking about. It doesnt need a hardware button its coded to use select.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It'd be amusing if when all is said and done - it turns out that the whole button selection thing was just a decoy to lead away from the actual exploit.
"Look, its a hardware change - they MUST HAVE done something different."
Meanwhile SKY3DS has a few extra days while people try to figure out what they did looking in the wrong place.

Either way, right now we just don't know what it is they did and whether or not it is different.
I can only hope for everyone that it is a fix that works on the Gateway cards and that they figure it out soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1