Should I update 3DS firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dewdrops, May 6, 2014.

1. Dewdrops
    OP

Dewdrops GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2014
    Malaysia
    I found a 3DS with firmware 4.1, thinking if I should update to 4.4 as I have a game that can allow this update. I am unable to get something that allows update to 4.5.

Will it be better to keep it at 4.1 though? What are the issues with 4.1 that makes upgrading more worth?

2. juins

juins GBAtemp Fan

Sep 13, 2003
    i read of an issue with out-of-region roms not playing. Not sure tho, never happened to me. IMO, u should update, unless u have a DS flashcart that stops working after 4.3 .... (i believe it was acekard..?, not sure).

AriaofMarina likes this.
  3. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I would suggest update to either 4.3.0, 4.4.0 or 4.5.0 there all sound. Mine are on 4.3.0 and 4.5.0 and both work all OK! :)

AriaofMarina likes this.
  4. Mariko

Mariko GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2009
    You can go ahead and update, and if you intend on obtaining one of the flash cartridges, you can always update to 4.5 using an appropriate ROM image.

AriaofMarina likes this.
  5. dudephanith

dudephanith Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2011
    4.1 still can play with gateway and others card. IDK you need to update. Mine is 4.4.0-10U while my bro's is 4.1 and i see no difference.

AriaofMarina likes this.
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    4.3 is the optimal version for Gateway usage if you also use DS flashcarts as it is the latest version that will work with certain DS flashcarts like Acekard.
    I would suggest keeping it on 4.1 for the time being and if you get a 3DS flashcart you can use it for a while and see if you have any problems. No reason to update until you experience issues.

It doesn't seem like you read the post. He didn't ask about updating his 3DS to the latest version.