Should I buy Acekard 2i or R4 DS with wood kernel?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by pizzaman123, Nov 12, 2010.

1. pizzaman123
    OP

Newcomer pizzaman123 Member

Canada
    I want to buy either Acekard 2i or R4 DS with wood kernel and I have a DS Lite. I only want to know, if the wood kernel is updated more than the Acekard 2i and is it good if I buy it from Shop Temp. And also one more thing, can I update to new versions if I have Acekard 2.1?

2. Black_Knight_666

Member Black_Knight_666 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    acekard 2i! the firmware can be updated, and the cart is flashable. (although since u have a ds lite, it doesnt really matter)

3. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    I have both with use on a DSLITE (READ MY SIG). I bought an Acekard 2i and cost $3.00 less than when I originally bought my R4. So if you want to spend money, buy both. If you don't, go with the Acekard!

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Wood usually comes out with the updates first, but the acekard still updates just fine and has some extra features (the R4 can't use a memory card larger than 2GB, and the AK2i can update cheats wirelessly and such).

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Doesn't the AKAIO 1.8.0/1.8.1 fw have Anti-Anti-Piracy so updates won't be needed AS much?

And the fact that you can go with higher than 2gb cards = win. Surprisingly, I need to update my size. Filled up too fast [​IMG].

If you only have a DS lite, and don't plan on upgrading to DSi, get the Acekard 2.1. Saves a few bucks, only works on original DS and DS lite. While the Acekard 2i works on every DS system. It's only 14 bucks. And you can never go wrong with Acekard [​IMG]

Acekard 2.1 @ www.shoptemp.com

I'd recommend it mainly for the added features. But if you don't want to spend that much, and will settle for just simple game playing, waiting for updates, and 2gb or lower, then by golly, grab the R4.

R4 @ www.shoptemp.com

Though I strongly recommend the Acekard for the added features as listed...

6. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Acekard 2i. I had an R4 clone, and most of my freinds have R4 clones running Wood, and I have to say, mine is way better, haha. Faster, better UI (in my mind), better compatibility.

This. I had a 2GB card and was constantly swapping stuff around. Now I have an 8GB card, about half full, and I love it. Slightly longer load times when I first load a ROM, but it's barely noticeable, and the size is way, way better.

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    At first I was happy with 2gb. I had a hard time filling that up. But now it's filling up waay too fast. Games are just getting bigger.

8. Sephxus

Member Sephxus GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'll grab them both FTW! I love Wood and Akaio. [​IMG] Seriously, how cheap can you get. [​IMG]
    You can't update the Acekard 2.1 only the Acekard 2i. These updates are necessary to restore functionality to the cart if the DSi receives a new firmware that blocks it. (I don't know if that's what you were referring to?)

9. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    You can update the 2.1 to new versions of the AKAIO kernel, Acekard kernel. You just can't update the actual bootloader, which you won't need to anyway since you don't have a DSi.