SDIO card support?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by norbyte, May 26, 2016.

1. norbyte
    OP

norbyte Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2011
    Gambia, The
    I came across the idea to use an SD card that forwards all traffic to an USB device or anywhere else. I haven't found any kind of hardware because I didn't know what I have to look for, but then I came across the official "SD association": https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/isdio/wirelesslan/index.html

SDIO cards or iSDIO cards are exactly what I was searching for. For about $99 you can get an SD card that redirects the traffic to a wireless device / blootooth device or anything else and the other device is also able to send content back if authorized.

The main advantage is that you can have unlimited space on the SD card, but it requires another device for communication. But does the Wii U support such devices? And what are the disadvantages?

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    TLDR: EZ Share...?

3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    It really depends on how good it is at pretending to be a normal SD card. The Wii U wouldn't be designed to support such a solution, but as long as it can function as a normal fat-formatted SD card with reasonable response times it should be fine.

norbyte likes this.