Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just stumbled across this.
You guys still on with the translation project?
I might be able to help out with the proof reading / editing role if you are still looking.

Indeed we are still on with the translation project. I believe we're set on editors for the time being however. Once we have everything fully translated we'll pass it off to a few more editors before making a full release.

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States

breaktemp

D-Sun who was called D-Moon
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@danikk

ha ha, the tease game is real ^_^"

but yeah, everyone working on the project has a life outside of translating this game 24/7

it always brings a smile to my face when more people stop by and offer to help with this project.

anyhow, as always, I look forward this project's reveal !!

danikk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
And now its time to show all of you what I'm working on:

Sd Gundam Overworld HQ texture replacement project!

Before:
25it4pl.jpg

After:
20tgg93.jpg

As many of you who played earlier SD gundam games (Wars) have probably noticed, the graphics quality for many attacks in Overworld is much worse than before, yet some attacks (generally the new ones) look much better.

I was curious as to why this is and investegated the textures of SD Gundam G Generation Wars and Overworld, and eventually figured out the reason:
both games use paletted texture (usually with 256 colors), but Wars uses 512*512 textures, and OW uses 384*384 textures. The smaller size in itself is not the main cause of the quality loss, the problem is that there are very few ways to resize a paletted texture, and retain a limited number of colors. By the look of the textures they used a very simple resizing algorithm (most likely nearest neighbor), that retains the limied palette, but produces very low quality results.

What I'm doing, is extracting the textures from Wars, resize them with a more advanced algorithm (Lanczos), then reduce back the number of colors to 256 (using tinypng.com, because anything else I tried screwd up the transparency in the images). Even though the textures are converted twice, they still look better than the Overworld ones (generally ships have the most noticeable change).

Tis means that only animations that were already present in wars are getting replaced, but the newer ones usually look better anyway.

But I bet you don't just want to read about better textures, but want to see them:

The same with the original textures for comparison:

There are a few more videos on my channel.

2hgbnrt.jpg

2mww6tw.jpg

10gfdyx.jpg

rjgm54.jpg

2s0k4dw.jpg

bdod9c.jpg

w9v1aw.jpg

30swzec.jpg

v7ucx.jpg

2natlqd.jpg

3500wow.jpg

2lxwgnk.jpg

wr10ye.jpg

And now with eyes!
azhsia.jpg

34dpp4i.jpg

6jojuo.jpg

29p5bbs.jpg

10cjggw.jpg

2qi1ypx.jpg

1zo90rp.jpg

2dtniuc.jpg

x1ehko.jpg

You can find more screenshots that I collected through the project here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hgvbqmj1xr1r3kk/AAB1QwoDjQCEiVo-o93OhDL_a?dl=0

Currently the project is approximately 30% complete.

Last edited by danikk,

reinzhart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

Before:
25it4pl.jpg

After:
20tgg93.jpg

As many of you who played earlier SD gundam games (Wars) have probably noticed, the graphics quality for many attacks in Overworld is much worse than before, yet some attacks (generally the new ones) look much better.

I was curious as to why this is and investegated the textures of SD Gundam G Generation Wars and Overworld, and eventually figured out the reason:
both games use paletted texture (usually with 256 colors), but Wars uses 512*512 textures, and OW uses 384*384 textures. The smaller size in itself is not the main cause of the quality loss, the problem is that there are very few ways to resize a paletted texture, and retain a limited number of colors. By the look of the textures they used a very simple resizing algorithm (most likely nearest neighbor), that retains the limied palette, but produces very low quality results.

What I'm doing, is extracting the textures from Wars, resize them with a more advanced algorithm (Lanczos), then reduce back the number of colors to 256 (using tinypng.com, because anything else I tried screwd up the transparency in the images). Even though the textures are converted twice, they still look better than the Overworld ones (generally ships have the most noticeable change).

Tis means that only animations that were already present in wars are getting replaced, but the newer ones usually look better anyway.

But I bet you don't just want to read about better textures, but want to see them:

2hgbnrt.jpg

2mww6tw.jpg

10gfdyx.jpg

rjgm54.jpg

2s0k4dw.jpg

bdod9c.jpg

w9v1aw.jpg

30swzec.jpg

v7ucx.jpg

2natlqd.jpg

3500wow.jpg

2lxwgnk.jpg

wr10ye.jpg

And now with eyes!
azhsia.jpg

34dpp4i.jpg

6jojuo.jpg

29p5bbs.jpg

10cjggw.jpg

2qi1ypx.jpg

1zo90rp.jpg

2dtniuc.jpg

x1ehko.jpg

That was crazy man
Good luck with your project:grog:

PiQue_MajorCooke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Before:
25it4pl.jpg

After:
20tgg93.jpg

2hgbnrt.jpg

2mww6tw.jpg

10gfdyx.jpg

rjgm54.jpg

2s0k4dw.jpg

bdod9c.jpg

w9v1aw.jpg

30swzec.jpg

v7ucx.jpg

2natlqd.jpg

3500wow.jpg

2lxwgnk.jpg

wr10ye.jpg

And now with eyes!
azhsia.jpg

34dpp4i.jpg

6jojuo.jpg

29p5bbs.jpg

10cjggw.jpg

2qi1ypx.jpg

1zo90rp.jpg

2dtniuc.jpg

x1ehko.jpg

It IS very incredibly crazy and miraculous amazing!
I've never thought that my first-time translation project, beginning with a simple text replacement, would come to a day that we translate and replace Japanese pictures, and even to the point that we do animation-texture replacement!! Oh Jesus Christ!

You are such a miracle worker.
So glad to have tried to join this project.

kaikaiser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Before:
25it4pl.jpg

After:
20tgg93.jpg

2hgbnrt.jpg

2mww6tw.jpg

10gfdyx.jpg

rjgm54.jpg

2s0k4dw.jpg

bdod9c.jpg

w9v1aw.jpg

30swzec.jpg

v7ucx.jpg

2natlqd.jpg

3500wow.jpg

2lxwgnk.jpg

wr10ye.jpg

And now with eyes!
azhsia.jpg

34dpp4i.jpg

6jojuo.jpg

29p5bbs.jpg

10cjggw.jpg

2qi1ypx.jpg

1zo90rp.jpg

2dtniuc.jpg

x1ehko.jpg

Nice work man!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...