Hacking Rominator Database Update info

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djnicey said:
the ds.rod file needs to be copied to the folder \AppData\Roaming\Rominator Data

bow.gif
Thanks for answering that one. I'm not a Windows 7 guru so I would've been lost.
bow.gif

I'm still on Windows XP, but I dual-boot into the newest distro of Ubuntu Linux. That's as far as my knowledge goes.
laugh.gif

djnicey

Trophies
XP
Country
np
smile.gif

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP and worked out where the ds.rod file needed to go.

Thanks windsur for keeping the database updated!
yaynds.gif

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djnicey said:
np
smile.gif

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP and worked out where the ds.rod file needed to go.

Thanks windsur for keeping the database updated!
yaynds.gif

Sorry this update is a little slow. For some reason, I was trying to understand the difference between the "patched" dumping tools and the "unpatched" ones and managed to get a little side-tracked. Well, alot side-tracked really. I wound up getting the answer, but I managed to get a nice migraine to go along with it as well.
laugh.gif

Of course, the next "distraction" I'm thinking of I'll need someone else's help with: I was just considering making an unofficial "updater program" for Rominator so that people wouldn't have to keep checking forums or Filetrip to see if an updated database has been released. I'm not a "pro" at programming, but I should be able to scrape something together in Visual Basic if necessary. That of course leaves out Mac and Linux, which isn't very fair. Plus, I'd probably need some help on the VB side. Basic idea would be "check online .txt file for release number and download newer files". The more technical way would be "access online version of database (as database has a table for release number) and download newer files." Since there's the whole boxart issue, something that compares crc32s would be good. I've also got the sourcecode to NDSCrc downloaded (written in Delphi), which could also be modified to suite the purpose I guess. Of course, I dunno how (I barely understand VB as is but I've got books on it for reference).

to note: As far as I understand, Rominator 2010 has suffered some setbacks recently so I don't know an ETA on it.

For right now, though, I'm going to "keep on keeping on" and try to get a newer version of the database ready.

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK, Unhandled errors all the time.

How did you guys fixed it ? I recreated database, no luck. Is there a way to fix it ?

That exactly the problem which was to happen: Hankchill will probably never resume work on Rominator, and he won't publish the code open-source so that others can continue the work. This leave us pretty screwed.

Guess I have to start writting my own...

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yuuko said:
OK, Unhandled errors all the time.

How did you guys fixed it ? I recreated database, no luck. Is there a way to fix it ?

That exactly the problem which was to happen: Hankchill will probably never resume work on Rominator, and he won't publish the code open-source so that others can continue the work. This leave us pretty screwed.

Guess I have to start writting my own...

First things first: When you say "recreated" do you mean you had a gamelist (say named "Yuuko") that had the errors and you deleted and re-added the same game list? Or when you started having problems you created a new gamelist (say named "Yugimoto") and it's having problems? All the game lists for Rominator are stored as tables in an actual database file: gamelist.rod in the Rominator program directory. If it goes corrupt, then there can be problems.

If you did try recreating the database with a new name and adding all your roms, I might be able to try some things on my end. I've done some before when people were having problems with the whole "My game is bigger than 128(?) mb and it crashes when I try to crc32-check." Even when everything works, Rominator can be a little stupid sometimes: As example, I just crc32-verified my entire list of games right after the last database release. After all files were verified, I went to rename them and for about half a dozen games I got a "Game not renamed. No information in database"-type error. I don't think Rominator was originally meant to be able to handle so many games: It can do it but the game lists were originally set to be able to copy games to/from cards so having over 4000 games in a list is more an "additional extra" or "bonus feature". Which leads in to the second thing:

Profession vs Hobby: Rominator was started as a hobby and not a profession. The profession paid for the hobby: To my knowledge, hankchill never charged very much for Rominator. With the way the American economy is, he lost his profession and can't afford to support the hobby. To be honest, I lost my profession too but I don't have a child to feed like he does. What I personally would suggest, which is something I thought of today, would be to talk to hankchill and ask him (basically) is how to hire him to write a new version. Timeline, estimated production cost and all that good stuff so Rominator could be profession for him until it's done. It might sound dumb, but maybe if we show him we're serious, he'd take it seriously. It's how I've had to deal with him from day 1 to get the database job in the first place.
smile.gif

And for reference, the reason I can't get server access from him right now is because his internet time is limited. As I think I've mentioned before, one of the planned features with Rominator 2010 is supposed to be all users get access to the online database (as well as an online "storage locker" where you'll be able to keep screenshots, boxarts scans, your .sav files, and your gamelists). At that point, my job would be to check everyone else's work so the database isn't completely messed up (think: "Well, your list has Sonic as 4723 and the site I'm using says it's 4708 so here I'll delete the other 4708 and replace it with Sonic" times 500 or more users doing the same thing). Or that was supposed to be the plan, at least.
laugh.gif

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
windsur said:
First things first: When you say "recreated" do you mean you had a gamelist (say named "Yuuko") that had the errors and you deleted and re-added the same game list? Or when you started having problems you created a new gamelist (say named "Yugimoto") and it's having problems? All the game lists for Rominator are stored as tables in an actual database file: gamelist.rod in the Rominator program directory. If it goes corrupt, then there can be problems.

I will try this way, but...

windsur said:
If you did try recreating the database with a new name and adding all your roms, I might be able to try some things on my end. I've done some before when people were having problems with the whole "My game is bigger than 128(?) mb and it crashes when I try to crc32-check." Even when everything works, Rominator can be a little stupid sometimes: As example, I just crc32-verified my entire list of games right after the last database release. After all files were verified, I went to rename them and for about half a dozen games I got a "Game not renamed. No information in database"-type error. I don't think Rominator was originally meant to be able to handle so many games: It can do it but the game lists were originally set to be able to copy games to/from cards so having over 4000 games in a list is more an "additional extra" or "bonus feature". Which leads in to the second thing:

With the database growing, this is gonna happen again and again, to a point it is less an hassle to use something else than to use Rominator.

windsur said:
Profession vs Hobby: Rominator was started as a hobby and not a profession. The profession paid for the hobby: To my knowledge, hankchill never charged very much for Rominator. With the way the American economy is, he lost his profession and can't afford to support the hobby. To be honest, I lost my profession too but I don't have a child to feed like he does. What I personally would suggest, which is something I thought of today, would be to talk to hankchill and ask him (basically) is how to hire him to write a new version. Timeline, estimated production cost and all that good stuff so Rominator could be profession for him until it's done. It might sound dumb, but maybe if we show him we're serious, he'd take it seriously. It's how I've had to deal with him from day 1 to get the database job in the first place.
smile.gif

That's a good point. :-)
But here are my objections:
- Hiring him is a clever idea, really, but is he able to do the job. I mean, is anybody has a real proof that Hankchill is actually having problems, and that it is not an excuse to hide the fact his pushed his programming skills to their most ? (Please note this is not a flamming, but a question from an honest user.)
- I question about Hankchill's honesty because it seems he doesn't want to open-source the project, which would be the solution to everybody, without putting out Hankchill (see MAME, which work that way and just get better, with its original author always credited and thanked). If he was himself serious, he would do that, understanding that Rominator is needed (and I rarely use this word...). So, I wonder : what does he has to hide from us ?

QUOTE(windsur @ Feb 26 2010, 11:02 AM)
And for reference, the reason I can't get server access from him right now is because his internet time is limited. As I think I've mentioned before, one of the planned features with Rominator 2010 is supposed to be all users get access to the online database (as well as an online "storage locker" where you'll be able to keep screenshots, boxarts scans, your .sav files, and your gamelists). At that point, my job would be to check everyone else's work so the database isn't completely messed up (think: "Well, your list has Sonic as 4723 and the site I'm using says it's 4708 so here I'll delete the other 4708 and replace it with Sonic" times 500 or more users doing the same thing). Or that was supposed to be the plan, at least.
laugh.gif

I am glad this discussion was finally put into daylight. :-)
This is a great project, and I like these ideas, but can we honestly think a sole man can support it ? That's typically where an open-sourced community would be usefull at best.

And, once again, I am by no mean trying to flame or take down or anything. I am just trying to get people talking about the future, that thing most people seem to be afraid to look front but deeply needs to be considered now.

windsur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yuuko said:
I am glad this discussion was finally put into daylight. :-)
This is a great project, and I like these ideas, but can we honestly think a sole man can support it ? That's typically where an open-sourced community would be usefull at best.

And, once again, I am by no mean trying to flame or take down or anything. I am just trying to get people talking about the future, that thing most people seem to be afraid to look front but deeply needs to be considered now.

If we're putting stuff to light: Rominator 2010 was/is supposed to be a framework model similar to OfflineList (at least on the drawing boards). People would be allowed to write plugins (say, an NDS rom checker, a Wii ISO checker, a MegaDrive rom checker, or even a c64 midi sound file checker for all that matters) as the plugin framework would be made public. That way, there could be teams of people working on a given plugin and not have to rely on one person. The backbone (Rominator) would most likely just handle the transactions (write to server, rename a file according to plugin), which is why in December I was trying to push for it but I let myself fall out of the loop.

As far as trust, I do have some trust issues as far as forking out money goes too with the way things have run so far. That's where a system of checks and balances comes in. That would be getting a timeline and such. Also, you know, if you pay someone by paypal you do have time to dispute the charge and get it reversed if it falls apart.
smile.gif

DVDPhreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The whole renumbering/adding NDSi releases messed up my own collection.
So, I have made an ds.rod without the NDSi releases.
This version matches the "g-Online v3" database/numbering here on GBATemp.

So if ya want it, send me an PM.

- DVDPhreak -

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello Windsur....will there be an Update,soon?

THX for your hard work

Is this Thread Dead?
Is Rominator Still alive?
Questions about Questions....will there be an answer,too?

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, people need, people want, but what did people do ? Nothing.
I warned people before and it has just been a preach in the desert. And now, my predictions are happening. Well, I am afraid it's too late.

camaro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell_AleX said:
i can'T understand, what u r saying.. sry

er hat gesagt, dass leute waren dumm. die software ist unbenutzbar, und ist nicht quelloffen.

Verbesserungen sind nicht möglich...
frown.gif

SquareP

Trophies
XP
Country
It's been pretty quiet here now for some time. Has Rominator finally seen it's last update? It's sad to see such a useful app fade away like this.
frown.gif

Blauhasenpopo

GBATemp's Funeral Director
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Plesae Windsur,let the freak people talk S*** and concentrate on the Fans!!!!!!!!!

Rominator and you,is a good looking Team!
The Fans are thankfull for your great Job,because they know what is behind your work.

Please go on making the "good" people happy.

Sten (A Fan)

b0ring

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
4491 - LEGO Indiana Jones 2 seems to be listed as Japanese language only in the game catalogue, mistake?

Also, 3089 - Hello Kitty - Big City Dreams is listed as a USA rom but every rom site has it as a European release?

elbaC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does someone know what the use is for the trimmed size in the database?

Is it perhaps used for veryfing a rom?

Yuuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
elbaC said:
Does someone know what the use is for the trimmed size in the database?

Is it perhaps used for veryfing a rom?

Trimming is about removing "unnecessary" parts from the ROM. Therefore, trimmed size tells you how much space you can gain on your HDD and flash card if you remove these unnecessary parts.

For more information about that, you can try to read the Rominator manual.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?